Royal Hotel Scarborough
The Crescent Hotel(Scarborough)
US$162
US$147
  • Breakfast included
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
US$698
PremierInn.com
The Esplanade Hotel(Scarborough)
Good 3.5/5
2,590 results
All reviewsplenty of hot waterplenty of choicesea fronttown centrefull englishseafront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed here on September 6, 2013 for one night. I had a room on the fourth floor. My bed was infested with bed bugs (it was not just one or two). There were blood stains on the bed linen. I went to the reception to complain, and they did not allow me back in my room. I slept in another room (no bed bugs in that room), and the next morning complained to the manager. They told me this was the first time they'd heard of bed bugs in their hotel (they lied, because there are other bed bug reports for this hotel here on trip advisor). They said they'd contact me, which they didn't.
I have now decided to put this review here, because I had to throw away most of my belongings in order not to bring bed bugs back home.

Room Tip: Rooms have bed bugs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank João T
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in a family suite. Ok. Nothing special. Reeked of fresh paint but I suppose they have to do it some time. Coffee at breakfast, lousy. As was the do-it-yourself toaster that didn't toast. Had to pay for a swim. That's new. Never used to. Reception staff friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I really don't know where to start, we arrived a bit early and didn't expect that our room was gonna be ready we just wanted to leave our bags somewhere, the girl in the reception was really unfriendly and didnt't even give me a chance to ask about our bags before she told me 'check in is at 2'!! You could tell that the staff didn't like their jobs, no matter if it was the reception, restaurant or bar. Me and my mom really wanted a massage and it said on booking that the hotel offers it, but the receptionist just laughed at me when I asked! We used the pool instead and got really disappointed when the bubbelpool didn't work and the sauna was cold! The room we had was cold, my mom had to put on a sweater and warm pants just to be able to sleep. It took forever to get hot water in the shower. The wifi didn't work. And overall the hotel really needs to be renovated, it could be such a lovley hotel if you would just fix it up. The only positive thing about the hotel right now was the location. I would also like to comment that I read a lot of the comments here on tripadvisor and the guy that replies really should learn to not use copy paste and make the answers a bit more personal!

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We decided to drive down from Scotland to Scarborough, we went onto Booking.com and booked the Royal Hotel we arrived and walked into the reception area which looked very dated and dull, the receptionist were very friendly and helpful, we paid for 1 night (thank god) and handed a £50 note which they processed to tell us they don't accept £50 notes. We got told we had to pay for our parking outside the hotel. We processed to our room which was on the 3rd room which was fair enough, got the lift up and walked out the lift and tripped up as I left the lift with the carpet that was worn, frayed right at the exit of the lift. Walking to our room there was rubbish and milk pots for tea lying on the carpet. We got into our room,and ever time we changed the channel on the Telly the volume wasn't on we had to switch the TV off then on for it to work. The bathroom had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for 2 people. No towel or bath may for stepping out of the shower. Tissue box in the bathroom was empty and when I went for a shower there wasn't any hot water. A sheet was on the bed (not a fitted sheet) and it didn't fit the bed. There was either laundry cages or food cage getting wheeled about outside at 11.30 at night and at 7am, so you certainly couldn't sleep in for breakfast. Went out at night and came in later and the smell at the reception was awful.
The restaurant was disgusting the walls had big chunks out of them next to the toaster the wall paper was hanging off, the orange juice smelt and tasted like metal, cob webs on the lights and the carpet was disgusting, windows were all rusty and wind blowing throw them with gaps. Tie backs on the curtains were disgusting and sitting in my tea. Felt sick when came out from breakfast with just looking about the restaurant.
How many bad reviews does it take before the place is closed and sorted.
Please don't go

Room Tip: Just don't go!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Debbie M

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

booked hotel on17 april 2014 the smell the noise no hot water for a shower 1 towel for 2 people room was very poor old fashion tv dident have sound heard every noise in hotel all nite i triped over loose carpets all over hotel squeeky floor boards i would never go back or recommend this hotel to my worst enemy thats how bad it is would of being better sleeping in my car.

Room Tip: sorry not at this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple