“Terrible !!! Worst place we have ever been.”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Terrible !!! Worst place we have ever been.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Whole inside of hotel smells like sever, windows dirty, staff not interested to help you at all, restaurant supposed to be open till 9pm but refuses to serve you at 8pm already, disgusting breakfast, I booked quite last minute and was tempted by big discount, should have read all the comments before and avoid disappointment.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stan232
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

room dusty windows filthy ,bathroom door hanging on by one hinge,all chrome fittings are GREEN ,side of bath black streaks ,back of loo floor filthy reported to reception they just accepted prob and said get it seen to ,no excuses must happen regularly, even bed not made correctly.breakfast was beyond a joke don't think sausage ever seen meat .scrambled eggs in a lump in warmer,fried eggs hard.when asked for tea or coffee from only member of staff was given a flask which contained some warm liquid which I didn't recognise immediatly .when getting off lift carpet in passage way had holes in it (accident waiting to happen?) rest of carpet loose.
wife couldn't even get pack of crisps from bar they seem to have sold out.
last morning went to small café next to market great tea and breakfast.
noise from drunks till early hours from pubs,thought filthy windows might deaden noise but was wrong.
absolutely worst hotel I been in

Room Tip: don't go you will regret it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cliker

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Decided to have a nice weekend away at Scarborough.Had stopped at Royal in the past and was ok.Checked in Friday.Was a bit early so collected keys at 3pm.Room 307.Took luggage to room which is more complicated than you think.Upon checking the room the bathroom was dirty(personal hairs etc in bath and toilet) and the paper was coming off the ceiling.Obviousley not what you expect for a large price.Trekked back down to reception who immediately gave us keys for another room.(Different stairs and lift) which appeared ok at first.Window wide open and no heating on.Back to reception to be met by a stench of sewers. The person in front also complaining of sewage smell. Staff said it was wet paint.Man in front suggested painters must be using pooh to paint interior!changed rooms.Closed window and turned up heating.Went out for a while before dinner.Time marching on.2 hours wasted.Came back to room.Stench of old urine.Window was open for a reason.slept overernight in room.Discovered it was a bed settee that smelt.Had breakfast and informed reception who said they would deal with it.Went for day out.Only top cushions had been removed from bed settee when we got back late afternoon which made it worse.Back to reception to stand behind yet another complainant.Given more keys for yet another room.sette soaking wet in that one so back again.My wife had now had enough. What were they going to do?Keep giving out keys until time to check out?No access to manager and was told they dont deal with complaints there.Gave wrong email for complaints.By this time my wife had packed our bags.Enough was enough.Waiting to hear from Britannia but all email addresses not valid. would not recommend this hotel or chain to anybody

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bell598

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I have just spent a week at the royal , we were part of a glenton coach party.I can honestly say we had a great time, the room we got was spotless, the bathroom was also spotless , the staff were extremely helpfull ,a special mention must go to jackie who worked in the dining area an absolute gem.All in all a great week we would without doubt stay at this great hotel again JOHN AND PEGGY BARKER , FIFE

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John B
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Sheffield
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the Royal and it is our favourite UK hotel. We stayed in The Sitwell Suite over Easter. It was light, airy, very comfortable and the views over the harbour are amazing. The hotel is situated on the clifftop with easy access to the beach. The staff are friendly and very helpful, even the breakfast chef greets you with a big smile!
The food was excellent.
It is a lovely hotel full of character. The foyer is a delight and it is a pleasure walking up the spectacular staircase.
We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Chose a suite with a seaview
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tolicoco

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We arrived without booking a room over the bank holiday weekend. The lady on reception was friendly and very helpful, allowing us to view the room before committing to booking. The last family room available had a spectacular view of the sea (528) and was very spacious. It was slightly dated but we weren't bothered as it was basically somewhere to sleep for the night!

Breakfast was fine, staff lovely and helpful especially since we had our 9 month old son!

Definitely recommend this hotel and would love to stay here again, longer than 1 night next time too. :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lissa F
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My sister, niece and I arrived on Easter Saturday and were greeted by lovely staff who told us where best to park for the night. NB - you can get a scratch card £3 for road parking for day and night near the Grand or on the crescent. We did this the next day and left our car there until 1.30pm on Monday.

We were in a suite (502) which was lovely and clean, tea and coffee facilities, big screen tv's, hairdryer, ironing board, iron and had great views over the harbour. The bathroom was bright and airy, had a shower which was red hot, heated towel rail, complimentary shower gels and shampoos and also very clean.

We drank in the bar and ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, also enjoying the entertainment at night.

There is a lovely sitting room - the Prince Regent room - upstairs which leads to an outside sheltered terrace area (no covered part for smokers if raining though!) overlooking Scarborough sea front and the tramway station - beautiful views. We enjoyed drinks on here which we bought in the bar downstairs and sat soaking in the sun.

We didn't use the spa as the weather was so nice outside, but imagine this will be in line for a complete overhaul.

The location is ideal for the nightlife in Scarborough, the shops and the seafront.

After seeing the hotel last year, I can see improvements and refurbishment being done as a matter of course. I read in the room guide that Brittania only acquired it in 2012 and realise that it takes a while for a grand hotel of this size to be at its best, but I can see the differences from a short visit in September last year.

The history embedded in The Royal can be seen all around from the reception grand staircases (which I imagined all the Victorian ladies in their fine frocks gliding down!) to the seating areas and suites.

I cannot wait to visit again and see more sympathetic renovations that are been carried out and how it is looking, but once it is at its 5 star prime and all the rooms have been refurbished, the prices will no doubt reflect this and fall outside our affordability! But I will be fortunate enough to say in the future....'I've stayed there and loved it!'

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family