“Fantastic 2 night stay!!!”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic 2 night stay!!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights 2nd May 2014 after checking out at Cayton Bay Park Resort. We decided we loved Scarborough so much that we would have a treat & book a hotel for 2nts. Hotel couldn't help with availability so referred me to Britannia booking line who advised we could have a family room with a camp bed so all 4 of us could share a room. We took our pet Bullmastiff & upon arrival to check in our room status said - Penthouse Rm 600. Wow when we eventually found the room only to be told it was the hotel owners suite fir 10years that he lived in. This Suite is amazing & huge! Perfect for a family with a big dog. We will definitely return but doubt we will be this lucky next time. Food was very good or Breakfast I should say... We ate out one evening & had takeaway the next night being as the Suite had a dining table. Great time & lovely swimming pool, steam room, sauna etc... Children loved it!! We will certainly return & it was nice to have a lovely clean accommodation & not be given the basic room just because we have a pet

Room Tip: Ackbourne Suite 600!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DOMREPLOVERUK
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed the 2nd till the 5th of May ( bank holiday weekend ) for a family stay my day paid nearly £1000 for 3 nights 3 rooms 8 people in total
I arrived at the hotel first and went to check in the lady demanded the money for the room up front so I paid
When we got to our room number 336 3rd floor it was shocking the floor is uneven you feel like you were on a boat one of the beds were sloped so if you slept on it the blood would rush to your head the other beds were falling apart u couldn't get comfy I had 3 nights of a uncomfortable mattress and the wardrobes had a piece of wood to stop them from falling over and this is meant to be a family room
The door was about 4 inch from the floor no privacy u could put your foot under our main door my husband went out in the hallway to prove a point and took pictures from underneath the door
He complained and said about privacy but nothing the staff didn't care on the last day at check out he complained and nothing they do not care once you've paid that's it I wouldn't ever recommends this hotel stay away all you expect from a hotel is a comfy bed and a clean room and a decent breakfast and this had none
Even the hallway smelt fusty u could tell they tried to get red of the smell
With air fresheners they also allow dogs I'm sorry I have a dog and wouldn't dream of taking it to a hotel that is disgusting they could have fleas or anything
I will be contacting Britannia hotels as I have proof with photos of the state of the room and it was a family room
Even the disabled room wasn't for disable people no walk in shower no high rise toilet no handles it's shocking my nan suffered for 3 nights we booked disabled we expect the facilities

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Amyzara
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

hartlepool
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have just come back from stopping 1 night at this hotel. We booked a Suite and it was HUGE! We had 2 big bedrooms and a massive sitting room, Bathroom and separate toilet and for the price it was great, but saying that several things let it down. There was mould on 1 wall in the first bedroom, a few stains here and there and through the whole hotel, it was very dated and needs an over haul. I can imagine years ago, this must have been a fantastic grand hotel.
The breakfast was ok, and the bar food on the night was not bad value. The pool and Spa was a bit odd, even though you were a guest at the hotel, they charged you for using it? And a pound for using a towel! The charge was small but still charged. The staff were friendly but I was a bit annoyed when I checked in, a lady on the front desk advised me to park in the shopping centre car park 100 yards up the road but on checking out I found she had sent me to the wrong one and I had to pay £18.50 car parking!
Also the windows need replacing as they are very old and single glazed and we got a massive amount of noise from gangs outside till the early hours of the morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank andyquinn
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

sheffield
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Tried to check in a couple of hours earlier but wasn't able to but that is normal hotel policy but sometimes it works. Checked in about 4.pm, was given a gorgeous suite on the first floor which overlooked the bay of Scarborough, we only booked a family room, 2 adults and a child. So first impression was excellent, staff friendly on reception and giving out Easter eggs (it was Easter Sunday!!).

Breakfast was very mediocre. Was told that someone would come to the table to offer us tea or coffee however, no one did, so we had to ask. Usual fried breakfast buffet style on offer and a couple of cereals. Croissants and Danish pastries would have been a nice touch but can't complain really as it was included in the very reasonable price we booked.

Would stay again for locality and if we got the same room.

Room Tip: Book a sea view. Suites are huge
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mandsSheffield

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just returned from a 2 night break at the royal hotel & i have to say although it is dated & needs renovating is is far superior to its sister hotel The Grand which we stayed at last year. The room was spacious with a large bathroom, a walk in wardrobe & a very comfy bed. The bar lounge was very comfortable with nice sofas & entertainment each evening. We booked B&B & the breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. Shame the jacuzzi was out of action as this was one of the reasons we chose the hotel but we had a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Whole inside of hotel smells like sever, windows dirty, staff not interested to help you at all, restaurant supposed to be open till 9pm but refuses to serve you at 8pm already, disgusting breakfast, I booked quite last minute and was tempted by big discount, should have read all the comments before and avoid disappointment.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stan232
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 1 May 2014

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

room dusty windows filthy ,bathroom door hanging on by one hinge,all chrome fittings are GREEN ,side of bath black streaks ,back of loo floor filthy reported to reception they just accepted prob and said get it seen to ,no excuses must happen regularly, even bed not made correctly.breakfast was beyond a joke don't think sausage ever seen meat .scrambled eggs in a lump in warmer,fried eggs hard.when asked for tea or coffee from only member of staff was given a flask which contained some warm liquid which I didn't recognise immediatly .when getting off lift carpet in passage way had holes in it (accident waiting to happen?) rest of carpet loose.
wife couldn't even get pack of crisps from bar they seem to have sold out.
last morning went to small café next to market great tea and breakfast.
noise from drunks till early hours from pubs,thought filthy windows might deaden noise but was wrong.
absolutely worst hotel I been in

Room Tip: don't go you will regret it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple