“Very tired hotel”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Very tired hotel”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked for two nights in a family room. The entrance is magnificent and we had high hopes. The first room we were given was very tiny for 2 adults and 2 children but it was clean. We went to close the window and a piece of the window fell out! It was completely rotten. The Manager said he was fully booked god knows what he expected us to do. They did re-locate us to another room and it was much larger. We opened the window and there was a bucket of sick on the window ledge. We decided to go down to the pool - we had to pay to use the pool for two nights for 4 people is was £15! Once we had paid we were informed that there were no gents changing rooms and the floor was being replaced. The men had to change behind a flimsy curtain in the ladies room. The pool was tiny and the jacuzzi was out or order. If you want a towel it will cost you £1.00. The evening entertainment lasted 40 minutes but at least he was half decent. If you want a drink at the bar allow 30 minutes waiting time. We were woken at 5.30am by the bottle bins being moved. Breakfast was an eye opener. We went to the restaurant at 09.00am and waited in line for a table (approx ten mins). We got a table and sat down, my knife had dried egg on it and my husbands fork as filthy - we left and went to a local cafe. The next morning the bottle bins were moved at 07.00am so a bit of a lie in for us. At 09.00am there was a knock at the door, then again, we answered and a uniformed guy asked to be let in to remove a bucket from the window ledge. So having woken the children he had the audacity to ask us if we had left the bucket on the window ledge - despite us reporting it to reception! Could not wait to leave and get home and have a bath. Oh and the shower didn't work at all. I would suggest you save up a little bit more money and stay at the Sands which is where we will be going next time. It is a dump.

Room Tip: I wouldn't think there are any good choices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank shipponMatlock
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Polish first
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at The Royal for my Dads 90th birthday - rang the hotel the night before and asked if there would be any possibility of an upgrade as it was my Dads 90th - the lady said she would have to see as the hotel was quite booked up. When we arrived my Mum and Dad were given the Royal Suite - which was a beautiful room (four poster bed - sofa and chairs, walk in shower, jacuzzi bath) On arriving in the room there was no heating on in hotel at all so the room was quite cold - but the staff brought 2 portable radiators up. The staff at this hotel were so helpful and polite we could not fault them. On the other hand my husband and I had a standard room - which was more sub standard! It was on the fourth floor which had a strange smell in the corridor. Although the furnishings were pretty modern the chairs, cushions and carpets were quite stained - but the sheets, pillows, towels etc were clean and the room well equipped. I understand the rooms are being refurbished and as the hotel quite big i suppose this will take some time. The Royal Hotel is already a nice hotel but could be a great hotel if the rooms and corridors are refurbished and what has happened to cafe bliss as advertised?. All in all would stay here again as the service given was excellent but would want a refurbished room and think the strange smell in corridor on fourth floor should be investigated as we were not the only guests to mention this. The only other downside to this hotel is the lack of parking which obviously cannot be helped the NCP car park is about 10 mins away and there are parking spaces at The Grand Hotel just around the corner which you can buy a permit for but you feel once you have found a place to park you cannot just then nip out in the car anywhere because you will not be able to find a parking place again. Hotel is well positioned with lovely views. Plenty of choice for the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

DONT EVEN PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THIS PLACE.
One good thing... its in a good location. Unfortunately, this is where it turns ugly. The hotel has the potential to be ok.. but is seemingly comfortable with riding around the terrible mark.
FOOD... well the breakfast which was cold and burnt on all 3 days of my stay was one of the main problems. Also, for people working nights or wanting a daytime snack forget it. The bar menu is poor and consists of items below £3.95. Clearly thats ok if you want a muffin or an over priced bag of chrisps but if you want hot food, dont even bother. The bar till is not linked to the booking system meaning charging to your room for meals and drinks is impossible, either pay now or dont have it was the attitude I got. After working a long night shift I put the Do Not Disturb sign on my door... only to be disturbed by the cleaner knockong once for towels and then again later for coffee. The next day was equally as poor as the cleaning staff saw fit to play music rather loudly outside my room to keep them occupied, this soon stoped once I went out and exchanged a few blunt words. Very inconsiderate to other guests. Evening meal was below average... blink and you'll miss it as resturant only opens 19:00 - 20:30 all day.
Summing up it is possibly the worse hotel I have stayed in, I stay away 5 days a week every week, utterly disappointed beyond belief. Staff are incompetent, food selection and menu is crap and overall satisfaction is a big fat 0/10!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank DavidTurnerson

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Chester
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Royal is in a very good position, overlooking the South Beach. It's a pleasant walk down to the beach and promenade through the park. We also enjoyed riding on the tramway, which is adjacent to the hotel and costs 80p each way. It is also convenient for the shops and has two night clubs on the same street.

We were initially disappointed with our room, as it was at the back of the hotel and looked down on to a dingy yard. After hearing of the disturbed nights' sleep experienced by other guests with rooms at the front of the hotel, we decided a quiet room was preferable. There was a note to say 'This room has been serviced by --', which was a welcoming touch. The furniture was modern with a wardrobe fitted with plenty of hangers. A few loose hangers would be useful for hanging up wet coats. There was a well equipped tray in the cupboard with a large kettle, teapot and two large mugs. The tea provided was labelled fair trade, but the coffee was of an unnamed variety. There were no biscuits. The bed was quite comfortable and very large, as it consisted of two single beds pushed together. There were extra pillows in the wardrobe. There was an ironing board and iron in the wardrobe and a hair dryer in a drawer. The window opened, although it wouldn't stay open very high. The door key operated the lights and only one key was issued per room. We found this a nuisance.

The bathroom had been refurbished and had good storage under the wash basin. There was a bath with integrated handles as well as a grip handle and there was also a shower. The towel rail was very hot day and night, but so was the water temperature. The towels were new and changed daily. A rubber bath mat was provided, but no towelling bath mat or stool. The fan was very noisy, but the magnifying mirror has a small light. There was a good supply of toiletries and tissues.

The tables in the dining room were very close together, and it was impossible for larger guests to pass between occupied tables. There was only a menu at the entrance to the dining room at dinner time and no menu at all at breakfast time. We were on the tour rate Dinner, Bed and Breakfast tariff, so waiters only brought us tea or coffee at breakfast time and cleared our dirty dishes. At busy times there was a 15 minute wait to get to the buffet, which was reminiscent of a hostel rather than a hotel. The lay-out of the buffet at dinner was somewhat confusing with the meat at one end and the fish, vegetarian option and vegetables at the other. As well as soup, there was a good variety of cold dishes for the first course. At breakfast there was no fresh fruit, eggs were only of the fried variety and there was white or brown sliced bread. There was not a hint of a croissant, even on Sunday morning. Cereals were in large containers and there were huge jars of jam, marmalade, honey (congealed), chocolate spread and marmite. The floor was sticky in that part of the dining room.

The hotel was full. One guest, who said her room smelled strongly of chemicals used to treat mould, was moved to The Grand, a sister hotel. There was entertainment every evening and on Sunday we enjoyed a singer and two male voice choirs, whose members were staying at the hotel. The leisure centre is open from 7 am - 8 pm from Monday to Saturday and until 5 pm on Sundays. Although small, it did not seem to get crowded, perhaps because of the £2.50 daily / £5 weekly charges. There were warnings of £25 fee for replacing a room key and £100 per day for cleaning a smoker's room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElizabethChester

Torquay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at the Royal hotel for four nights on a Majestic coach tour.The room was quite spacious , clean and comfortable with a sea view. The hotel has a lot of character with nicely furnished rooms , a grand staircase faces you when entering the reception area with an elegant chandelier.Excellent buffet breakfast and evening meal.Enjoyed our stay.The only down side to our visit to Scarborough was the seagulls.There is a big problem with the birds nesting on any ledge they can find on lots of the buildings in the town creating noise and mess.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank seamoor
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

uk
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and stayed at this hotel in may 2014.We found out from staff that they are slowly refurbishing bit by bit.One of the staff members kindly took me to see a few of the rooms that had already been done.Very nice they were too' Unfortunately we didn't have the privilege of staying in a nice room' although the towels sheets and the room in general was clean' it was in a horrible location the window overlooking a type of back alleyway where all the air conditioning equipment was' so this was very noisey and we got very little sleep' The bed was quite a small double so that was uncomfortable as it was quite hot and stuffy ' the room was hot and stuffy and had a strange tilt to it everything leaned to the right as if there were some kind of subsidence'felt a bit like being on a p&o ferry ha!. Breakfast was quite nice with a hot and cold buffet.Although we did order a meal on the first evening in afraid it wasn't good at all and a bit on the expensive side.The location is good in the heart of everything, and nice sea views if not from a preferred room then straight outside the door,where you can sit and enjoy.Unfortunately parking is a proper pain,it is most probable that you will have to walk quite a distance to your parking spot that you have managed to find.The staff are quite pleasant although some could do with an appearance lesson.I would probably visit again but it would have to be a much better room,Im not sure if hubby is too keen!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank carole45Uk

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

As a regular visitor I cannot fault any part of my stay.
The staff are always welcoming, helpful and friendly, and make you feel a truly valued guest. This is true of ALL the staff, from management to the housekeeping team. Nothing is too trivial or too much trouble.
The refurbishment is moving along and I see further upgrades each time I visit. My room was a large front facing with a magnificent sea view.
As a solo traveler it's important for me to feel safe and secure and at The Royal this is always the case, and night security is at hand.
There are many returning regular guests who like myself enjoy the personal attention given to us at The Royal.
Musical entertainment was provided most evenings in the lounge bar.
There was a good and varied choice on the menu, and meal times are set.
I highly recommend staying at The Royal, as a solo traveller or a family group.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.