“On the way down”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Rugeley, United Kingdom
“On the way down”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really should have read the reviews about the hotel before I booked but as we had stayed there on two previous occasions (the last time a few years ago) I felt totally confident of the service and room standard that the Royal offered. We booked and paid our £360 for a double with a sea view. I telephoned the day before we were due to arrive as I had not received and confirmation. Many apologies expressed and an e-mail was sent straight away. This showed we had an Executive room. Great we thought, more room. Wrong assumption. The Executive room measured not more than 12ft square. Over 50% was taken by the bed. Also in the room was a desk and chair, a TV cupboard, a small arm chair and a double wardrobe. When the wardrobe doors were open it was virtually impossible to enter or leave the en-suite.
The windows were filthy and would not remain open without the aid of the shoe-shine box found in the en-suite. Some of the ceiling paper wax hanging down above the door.
The biscuits were replaced just once (a pack of 2) during the 3 nights we stayed.
We decided that an evening meal would be a good idea on our first night so booked for one at reception. On arrival at the dining-room we approached the young man checking arrivals to be told that our room number was not on his list. After informing him that I had watched the receptionist write it in the appropriate square for the desired time he simply pushed the paper towards me with a shrug. To be fair our room number was not there. A mistake by reception as when I checked it was on there list. These things happen. Would it have been more appropriate for the "charm school dropout" in the dining room to have checked himself? We ate at a very good Italian Restaurant next door.
This hotel has lowered standards since becoming part of the Britannia Group and will soon be on par with its sister across the road.
Needless to say we complained about the attitude of the member of staff though I doubt much was done.
We would not advise anyone to even enter the doors of the once splendid hotel let alone waste there money staying there.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony P
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was a mum with a 5 year old we stayed for 4 nights in room 320.
Our sheets never got changed and the room was never cleaned even though they said it was, our toilet was filthy along with a terrible smell if drains.
The room was so noisy at night due to overlooking back of a pub it was people and bottle throwing into the bins.
The evening meal was a disgrace and I paid 7.95 for a child's meal which was frozen and warmed up.
Lady on reception when we checked in was so rude just asked me for my money straight away didn't explain anything about the hotel to me.
The only polite member of staff was Sharon who worked in the pool lovely lady. The pool was a disgrace along with the changing rooms which were dangerous to.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kerryharley

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Good to see this 'old girl' rescued by Britannia Group - needs a 'lick of paint' in many places and hopefully this will happen in time. Reception could be more friendly and smile. Breakfast excellent - contrary to other comments thought the tea and coffee jugs great - kept drinks hot during whole breakfast period.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

stayed three times now first time in a horrible little room but for £50 for 2 DBB in the centre of town what can i say excellent value ! So the next time we asked for the superior rooms and both were great, like being in a different hotel. The rooms were smart spaces and very clean not like the first room, all the meals were very nice, breakfast is a bit of a bun fight but again for the price who cares. As i say pay that bit extra and get a nice room it makes all the difference yet still amazing value for money will be back a few time this year as it makes a cheap break .

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a nicer room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

London
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The staff don't have a clue about customer service, the rooms are very dirty, blood and hair greeted me on my arrival on the sheets, reception could not move me but said they would send someone to change the sheets.. This took nearly 2 hours. Food is absolutely diabolical. Restaurant is only open for hour and half. Not fit for a dog let alone paying guests.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Lewis J

Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked for two nights in a family room. The entrance is magnificent and we had high hopes. The first room we were given was very tiny for 2 adults and 2 children but it was clean. We went to close the window and a piece of the window fell out! It was completely rotten. The Manager said he was fully booked god knows what he expected us to do. They did re-locate us to another room and it was much larger. We opened the window and there was a bucket of sick on the window ledge. We decided to go down to the pool - we had to pay to use the pool for two nights for 4 people is was £15! Once we had paid we were informed that there were no gents changing rooms and the floor was being replaced. The men had to change behind a flimsy curtain in the ladies room. The pool was tiny and the jacuzzi was out or order. If you want a towel it will cost you £1.00. The evening entertainment lasted 40 minutes but at least he was half decent. If you want a drink at the bar allow 30 minutes waiting time. We were woken at 5.30am by the bottle bins being moved. Breakfast was an eye opener. We went to the restaurant at 09.00am and waited in line for a table (approx ten mins). We got a table and sat down, my knife had dried egg on it and my husbands fork as filthy - we left and went to a local cafe. The next morning the bottle bins were moved at 07.00am so a bit of a lie in for us. At 09.00am there was a knock at the door, then again, we answered and a uniformed guy asked to be let in to remove a bucket from the window ledge. So having woken the children he had the audacity to ask us if we had left the bucket on the window ledge - despite us reporting it to reception! Could not wait to leave and get home and have a bath. Oh and the shower didn't work at all. I would suggest you save up a little bit more money and stay at the Sands which is where we will be going next time. It is a dump.

Room Tip: I wouldn't think there are any good choices.
4 Thank shipponMatlock
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at The Royal for my Dads 90th birthday - rang the hotel the night before and asked if there would be any possibility of an upgrade as it was my Dads 90th - the lady said she would have to see as the hotel was quite booked up. When we arrived my Mum and Dad were given the Royal Suite - which was a beautiful room (four poster bed - sofa and chairs, walk in shower, jacuzzi bath) On arriving in the room there was no heating on in hotel at all so the room was quite cold - but the staff brought 2 portable radiators up. The staff at this hotel were so helpful and polite we could not fault them. On the other hand my husband and I had a standard room - which was more sub standard! It was on the fourth floor which had a strange smell in the corridor. Although the furnishings were pretty modern the chairs, cushions and carpets were quite stained - but the sheets, pillows, towels etc were clean and the room well equipped. I understand the rooms are being refurbished and as the hotel quite big i suppose this will take some time. The Royal Hotel is already a nice hotel but could be a great hotel if the rooms and corridors are refurbished and what has happened to cafe bliss as advertised?. All in all would stay here again as the service given was excellent but would want a refurbished room and think the strange smell in corridor on fourth floor should be investigated as we were not the only guests to mention this. The only other downside to this hotel is the lack of parking which obviously cannot be helped the NCP car park is about 10 mins away and there are parking spaces at The Grand Hotel just around the corner which you can buy a permit for but you feel once you have found a place to park you cannot just then nip out in the car anywhere because you will not be able to find a parking place again. Hotel is well positioned with lovely views. Plenty of choice for the buffet breakfast.