“Great Stay!”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 4 June 2014

An excellent meal with an even better breakfast! All the staff were excellent. Room was fine but lacking in décor...a picture on the large bare wall opposite the bed would improve things. One point of concern was the carpet leading to our room which is multi-coloured stripes!! It made us feel dizzy and caused vertigo! but all in all...a great stay in a great hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We decided to take the kids to Scarborough and booked a hotel on laterooms on the way there, we paid £75 for a family room. On arrival we thought it looked really grand, until we got inside, reception staff were relatively friendly, gave us the key to our room....426....took us an age to actually find it, having to walk up 6 flights of stairs with 2 small children and 3 bags as the lifts clearly state no more than 3 persons!!!!!!!! corridor floors are wonky, walls desperately need decorating and needs new carpets. The smell in the corridors on the 4th floor is absolutely disgusting!! We got to our room and it was lovely (so we thought) one of my children was desperate for the loo so I took her to the toilet and was delighted to see a nice big bathroom with a corner jacuzzi bath.....until I noticed 3 dead flies on the floor, once going back into the main room we noticed about 100 dead flies all over the floor, under the beds, on the windowsills!! I rang straight down to reception who said they would move our rooms but we would have to go all the way back to reception to swap keys. They gave us room number 401, back to the stinky corridors!! This room was ok but on a serious slant!! They made us extra beds up for the kids, bed linen was clean enough, no view from the windows except the back of the hotel (which shows what the real view of this hotel should be like).

My partner and one of our children went down for breakfast in the morning and the toaster set on fire!!

The only positive thing about this hotel is the location and maybe the staircase as my children liked pretending to be princesses walking down the sweeping staircase to reception! but I would definitely not stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Caroline F

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a last minute booking £79 for 2 adults and 2 children on a Saturday night. Have been many times but not for the past few years. Was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was despite reviews.
The room was on the second floor with comfy beds and crisp sheets...the bathroom was new. The view was overlooking the back roof but as we were staying only a night didn't concern us for the price.
The pool you have to pay for now and pay for a towel. The bar was efficient despite a function and reasonably priced compared to other hotels in the area.
We did not eat at the hotel on the evening...we went to Tuscany a very nice Italian a few doors to the left of the entrance.
Only gripe is that thete were a lot of young people late on very drunk outside the hotel and even tge hotel's security had to step in with fights on the pavement...but that is not the hotel's fault.
For the money paid enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank louise w

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really should have read the reviews about the hotel before I booked but as we had stayed there on two previous occasions (the last time a few years ago) I felt totally confident of the service and room standard that the Royal offered. We booked and paid our £360 for a double with a sea view. I telephoned the day before we were due to arrive as I had not received and confirmation. Many apologies expressed and an e-mail was sent straight away. This showed we had an Executive room. Great we thought, more room. Wrong assumption. The Executive room measured not more than 12ft square. Over 50% was taken by the bed. Also in the room was a desk and chair, a TV cupboard, a small arm chair and a double wardrobe. When the wardrobe doors were open it was virtually impossible to enter or leave the en-suite.
The windows were filthy and would not remain open without the aid of the shoe-shine box found in the en-suite. Some of the ceiling paper wax hanging down above the door.
The biscuits were replaced just once (a pack of 2) during the 3 nights we stayed.
We decided that an evening meal would be a good idea on our first night so booked for one at reception. On arrival at the dining-room we approached the young man checking arrivals to be told that our room number was not on his list. After informing him that I had watched the receptionist write it in the appropriate square for the desired time he simply pushed the paper towards me with a shrug. To be fair our room number was not there. A mistake by reception as when I checked it was on there list. These things happen. Would it have been more appropriate for the "charm school dropout" in the dining room to have checked himself? We ate at a very good Italian Restaurant next door.
This hotel has lowered standards since becoming part of the Britannia Group and will soon be on par with its sister across the road.
Needless to say we complained about the attitude of the member of staff though I doubt much was done.
We would not advise anyone to even enter the doors of the once splendid hotel let alone waste there money staying there.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony P

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was a mum with a 5 year old we stayed for 4 nights in room 320.
Our sheets never got changed and the room was never cleaned even though they said it was, our toilet was filthy along with a terrible smell if drains.
The room was so noisy at night due to overlooking back of a pub it was people and bottle throwing into the bins.
The evening meal was a disgrace and I paid 7.95 for a child's meal which was frozen and warmed up.
Lady on reception when we checked in was so rude just asked me for my money straight away didn't explain anything about the hotel to me.
The only polite member of staff was Sharon who worked in the pool lovely lady. The pool was a disgrace along with the changing rooms which were dangerous to.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kerryharley

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Good to see this 'old girl' rescued by Britannia Group - needs a 'lick of paint' in many places and hopefully this will happen in time. Reception could be more friendly and smile. Breakfast excellent - contrary to other comments thought the tea and coffee jugs great - kept drinks hot during whole breakfast period.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 May 2014

stayed three times now first time in a horrible little room but for £50 for 2 DBB in the centre of town what can i say excellent value ! So the next time we asked for the superior rooms and both were great, like being in a different hotel. The rooms were smart spaces and very clean not like the first room, all the meals were very nice, breakfast is a bit of a bun fight but again for the price who cares. As i say pay that bit extra and get a nice room it makes all the difference yet still amazing value for money will be back a few time this year as it makes a cheap break .

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a nicer room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple