“BED BUGS - BEWARE”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Bradford, United Kingdom
“BED BUGS - BEWARE”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having booked a Groupon Deal I was not expecting too much, I read quite a lot of reviews which most of them were bad so was not looking forward to my stay. We were given a choice of two rooms and took the cleaner/refurbished room. Dinner was very good, entertainment poor. Next morning my partner got in the bath and a bug fell off him, then noticed fresh blood in the bed, (from me), another bug on the bed, (found three in all), went to reception and they did not seemed surprised at all and said pack our stuff and they would change rooms, but by now the bugs would be in our luggage. Next room 229 seemed OK. Should have left straight away that nite. Dinner and breakfast were good. On returning home read reviews of other bed bugs in the hotel. We are very annoyed as all our belongings have to be carefuly handled and washed and hopefully we did not bring them home. Why the staff put you in a room that they know has bugs is beyond me. It did smell of insect spay and the heat was on so high and now we realise they must have been trying to get rid of them and they did not succeed.
The General Manager Simon Powell does not seem to care about any bad reviews as he seems to put the same reply on all reviews, probably does not even read them.
This problem needs to be made public as Britannia Hotels do not seem to care. I was not going to report this problem but when I got home and found other people had found bed bugs it does need exposing. PLEASE DO NOT STAY, CANCEL YOUR GROUPON AS I WISH WE HAD NOW.

3 Thank janice d
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

In its heyday this would have been a fabulous hotel to stay in witnessed by the magnificent staircase. Unfortunatly it now looks very tired and desperatly needs refurbishing. In the Prince Regent Suite there was fallen plaster in front of the window - on the inside!!
That said my room (suite) on the 5th floor was more than adequate and certainly very comfortable.
The bathroom was clean and tidy althought the bath towels were on the small side.
Although a very small reception area the staff moved remarkably quickly to get people booked in and out.
All the staff that I met were very helpful and friendly.
Attending a large function can cause problems with service and/or food, but not on this occassion.
There is no on site parking but there is an NCP nearby at reasonable rates.
Notwithstanding some critiscm above I hope to visit the hotel next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

scotland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I entered my hotel room,to the dreadful smell of dampness.The dampmarks all over the walls,was very offputting.I went downstairs and asked when the central heating came on in the rooms to be told by the manager?that no heating in the rooms in summer.My clothes in the wardrobe felt damp,as did the bedding,I even tried to buy a hot water bottle in the local shops to put in my bed.very disappointed,as this was my first holiday in years,after my triple by pass.The gym was also closed,shouldve been put on their website..

Room Tip: Just check the walls for dampness...paper hanging off the walls.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank davbil

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

When i first did read all the reviews i thought it will not end well but what i supirise it was.
On arrivel the check in was dealt with fast and friendly on first look everything was clean and yes a bit old fashiond looking but you dont book into a victorian times hotel if you want something modern
The room was infact one of there suits wish was only bout 30 quit more than a normal room and what can i say it was superb.
The bathroom modern and very clean with enuff towel the living and sleeping area also was spotless and bett confy.
The spa area was clean and well looked after and yes it is £2.50 for guest of the hotel but you can use all of the spa area all day.
Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice and all cooked nicely.
I have nothing bad to say about this hotel and would stay here again i guess some ppl always will find something to moan about.

• Stayed June 2014
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked this back in January as a Groupon deal and so therefore we didn't pay that much for the stay. Even so I did expect a some cleanliness. The hotel is in a great location but parking is a nightmare.
Upon arrival we thought the hotel looked ok. It was quite grand but looking a little tired. The receptionist checked us in without telling us where breakfast was served, where the facilities are etc. This annoys me. It's common sense that guests want to know where the main rooms are isn't it? We were placed on the third floor and we went up the stairs. There was wallpaper pealing off the walls from damp and you could smell the damp!

On entering the room it was clear that the room would be the same as the hotel, tired and in desperate need of a good clean and revamp. The bathroom had hairs still left in the bath, the toilet had hairs on the seat, the inside of the toilet was filthy, the taps on the bath and sink were full of limescale and dirty. The bedroom windows were dusty and dirty. The curtains smelled disgusting. The only thing that was actually clean was the beading and the bed was super comfy.
Breakfast was in the huge restaurant which is why I couldn't understand why we were seated both morning practically on top of someone else! I requested to sit at another table and was told by a rude waitress that it didn't matter where we sat there would be somebody placed next to us either way! I didn't reply because I was so angry with her response. The breakfast itself was ok. It certainly wasn't anything I would have paid separately for.
The leisure facilities are once again in desperate need of some care. The gym was tired and I was amazed to find out they do private membership! I am a member of a gym and I certainly would not pay £25 a month to go to this gym. The only benefit was that it opened early and we never saw anybody in there at all and that includes staff! the pool is tiny and the jacuzzi wasn't working at all. we would normally use the pool but decided on this occasion to not bother.
There are a lot of bars nearby as well so be prepared for the noise of people who have been out late. It didn't bother us and isn't something the hotel can control besides the seagulls made more noise!
Overall I would definitely not stay in this hotel again if the stay was free. I hated being in the hotel which is not something I have experienced in the past to be honest.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
4 Thank Clair100
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Water constantly dripping into toilet pan from cistern, carpet stained, cords on sash window hanging down broken, dust present all week on tv stand and on shaving wall mirror in bathroom, window frames rotten and ledges covered in bird excrement, but most of all as this room looks out onto the fire escape it was devastating to see the terrible condition it was in. It was covered in moss and algae and in places roof tiles present on the walkways. Heaven forbid if there was a fire and this had to be used !! On arrival there was no porter service available, not good for the elderly or those who are disabled. As part of a coach party, the dinner menu was limited compared to that available for other guests. There was a constant smell present in the lift and on the 4th floor which can only be described as drains/sewers - not nice when you are going into or out of the restaurant. This hotel needs to be closed down and given a total refit.

4 Thank elaine b

Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was a return trip and the hotel has a great location and the building looks great from the exterior - however, the interior is clean presentable and tidy, but old and tied in some parts. The bedrooms are large and roomy and provide a good nights sleep, the amenities are standard for this type of hotel - but the quality of bathroom soap, shampoo are poor. There are also room maintenance issues which appear historical and although management have advised they are dealing with them ie. shower issues, leaks into some rooms causing staining, wallpaper to hang from the wall. Only time will tell if they are dealt with. We were on a mini break with dinner and we couldn't complain the food is well presented and portions are fair. Staff since our last visit have improved on their friendliness and efficiency and are a credit to the hotel now, nothing was to much and if they couldn't help they advised you of options available. All in all two great days, two good nights sleep, good dinner and fair breakfast. Would we make it a third trip - if in the area again why not. location, service and value for money in my mind describe this hotel and we wish them every success with the plans for the future in continuing the improvements around the hotel. well done staff and management.

Room Tip: High Floor, away from stairs and lifts
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends