“seagul infested hovel”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Surprise after surprise is found in this quaint seagull sanctuary. I initially thought the street outside was marble but on closer inspection I realised it was bird dropping. 250 for three nights of hell (2 still to go). The floorboards are so warped I felt like I was stoned walking to my room. Upon entry to the room (we booked a double) I was confronted by 2 single beds pushed together and a Z bed for the kid. We had a few moths visiting as well which added to the splendour. The night was spent roasting with my partners daughter in the bed with us due to the springs in the 70s Z bed stabbing her. Breakfast was a fiasco, while I was up getting my fry up buffet the hotel staff were playing musical chairs in my absence and had decided to relocate us to another table without asking. I returned to my table where I watched a waitress walk off with my coffee. We were told our table was being used by a coach trip. I was in the restaurant 30 mins and not one person sat in the "reserved seats" I am writing this from the lounge at present. My partner has just had to return a chocolate brownie she bought because it smelled of stale cheese(no sell buy date on the wrapper!!). Mariah Carey was on the stereo a minute ago singing " all I want for Xmas is you...." If your a big fan of the stale smell of octogenarian, squeaky floorboards, unsafe bannisters, a twisted manager. 50s to 70s decor and hidden charges for using the swimming pool then this is the hotel for you... In fact I will sell you 2 nights for 50 quid.. 4 star they say... I'd say that's a 5 star lie!!!!

Room Tip: If your room Is at another hotel you'll do ok
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Dazpole
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very good location and the hotel has lots of character, many hotels similar to this do need some TLC but the economic times mean they can't afford to due to the competition. Apart from that very enjoyable stay, okay the seagulls keep you awake at night, but you are at the seaside what do you expect, this isn't the hotels fault !!. Our bedroom apart from a few areas needing a touch up was spacious and comfortable. There was plenty of entertainment at night and you could also go to the Grand Hotel around the corner to enjoy their entertainment. There was a good choice at breakfast and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My partner and I both work in a hotel so we can quickly pick up on customer service skills etc!

We both found reception unfriendly and not very helpful.

The room was basic... in fairness ours was 'Ok' compared to many of the reviews i've read on here, but still the wallpaper was peeling off and cabinate doors were dropping.

Location was fab.

Car parking... you have to pay £10.00 in a multistory car park 5 mins down the road & breakfast was.. cheap.. but that was expected!

We also used the pool facilities. Think we paid £7.00 in total for entry and 2 towels. Jacuzzi was closed... the area was grubby and you just felt dirty.

Such a shame.. as you can tell that once upon a time the building was Grand and very Royal like but seems it has been neglected over many years which is how it has ended up how it is.

Room Tip: Clean one if your lucky!
1  Thank Livvydancer

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Was no doubt rather grand in its time but that was clearly many years ago! We had a nosey around & some rooms have clearly been updated - our had not!!

We stayed in a standard double room (number 246) which we found on a web site for £120. For our money we got: a view of the back of the hotel which was very dirty, a wonky floor, a toilet that needed help flushing, a TV with a broken aerial that only had 1 working channel if we didn't move around too much, a hole in the wall & it was far too warm for Summer.

Too unacceptable!!

Room Tip: Go stay at another hotel!!
2  Thank Rachel M

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've taken loads of photos and will be putting them on the social websites . awful . Awful.the wardrobe as soon as walk in goes on a 36 degree slant.the TV can't get signal because of the indoor aerial. No wifi connection when it says it has.shower head leaking.bath towel still with the last residents hair.do not , I repeat do not come to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank smartcore

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Tired shabby hotel, short staffed ar breakfast, extra charge for use of the pool, £50 per night deposit, non of wich was on the web site information.
Would I recomend this hotel !!!!! don't thinkso.
I did stay here several time 20 yrs ago oh how the mighty have fallen.

Room Tip: Don't bother
3  Thank blencoron

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We last stayed at this hotel 2 years ago when Britannia Hotels had just taken over the Royal, and at that time it was looking very tired and in urgent need of some refurbishment. We have just returned from a return visit c/o Groupon which was definitely value for money. However the hotel is still looking very 'tired' and in need of refurbishment in certain areas. The main public rooms and the wonderful foyer are as majestic as ever, but some of the bedrooms were still as drab as 2 years ago and in urgent need of refurbishment. Our bedroom had been recently decorated but the fittings were very old indeed - the shower head was disgusting (see attached photo). On the positive side the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, the buffet breakfast was very good, with a good choice and well cooked food, and the location of the hotel and views from some of the public rooms was excellent. The negative side are some of the bedrooms, and although ours was a standard double and fairly spacious, I would not have liked to pay the full standard rate for it. Using a Groupon Deal we felt we did have value for money. Please Britannia Hotel inject some money into this wonderful building!

Room Tip: Perhaps pay the 'extra' for a better room?
1  Thank Maggs36