“Has potential to be lovely but isn't..”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Derby, United Kingdom
“Has potential to be lovely but isn't..”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Location wise, in the centre of Scarborough with sea views.

My hubby's work had booked a room for him for work purposes and as it was half term we booked additional room for our son. We requested the two rooms be next to each other.

Checking in wasn't very inviting and the hotel weren't exactly friendly. Our request had been ignored and the two rooms were at opposite ends to each other. Hotel full apparently so nothing could be done.

We checked in anyway, the rooms were awful. Very dirty and badly appointed. Stains everywhere. We tried talking to the staff to no avail so we checked out after only a couple of hours.

Afterwards i did put a complaint in and after about a month i got a response from the new manager. We got a refund which was great. The new manager did seem committed to getting the place into shape so it will be interesting to go back after a while. At the moment though, it needs a lot of TLC

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chezwylde
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Polish first
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I recently purchased a groupon voucher for a weekend and paid for an upgrade to a family room. It was terrible. When we arrived we got the lift to the fourth floor but had to climb the stairs to our 'suite'. The decor was very old / tired and there were broken floorboards under the carpet. Bathroom was bad with actual holes in the ceiling above the bath / shower that you could see through. My kids were scared the ceiling would fall in. The toilet hadnt been cleaned properly and there was blood all over the underside of the toilet seat. The children's beds hadnt been made up and a bottle of wine I had pre-paid for was missing from my account. I complained to reception who radio'd housekeeping who seemed very stressed and over-worked. They duly cleaned the bathroom and made up the bed (one for my two boys to share!!!) but it was just a fold down couch and the mattress was so thin they had wrapped it in a duvet, but the boys still couldn't sleep on it as the metal spars poked through. So we spent two uncomfortable nights all in the one bed!! Our balcony was in serious disrepair and the whole hotel was in need of work. Lights were out in the corridor etc. The hotel was infested with seagulls and the street outside was filthy with their droppings. There were no facilities for kids and we even had to pay extra to use the swimming pool. I have complained to Britannia and asked for my upgrade money back. The dining room decor was old, there was a broken window in there and I had to practically fight for a coffee in the morning at breakfast with the waitress giving us one small pot of coffee for two and saying if we wanted more we had to drink that first. It was with the exception of a hotel I stayed in in rural China, the worst hotel I have ever visited and I have stayed in hotels all over the UK and all over the world. If you are thinking of going here...............dont!!! This is the first hotel review I haver ever written but I want to save others the aweful experience of paying money to stay here.

Room Tip: Don't 'upgrade' to a suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve G

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel is very tired and finding your room a challenge as it is a labyrinth inside. The reception staff are very pleasant. Although the bed was made daily the bed sheet under the quilt was not straightened. The cooked breakfast was OK but very poor quality tea and coffee on offer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Kirstyanne108
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Im always optamastic when travelling never expect anything but this hotel was awesome food was out of this world are room was perfect and tge staff was very friendly cant wait to go back a long weekend

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darrellm21
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Surprise after surprise is found in this quaint seagull sanctuary. I initially thought the street outside was marble but on closer inspection I realised it was bird dropping. 250 for three nights of hell (2 still to go). The floorboards are so warped I felt like I was stoned walking to my room. Upon entry to the room (we booked a double) I was confronted by 2 single beds pushed together and a Z bed for the kid. We had a few moths visiting as well which added to the splendour. The night was spent roasting with my partners daughter in the bed with us due to the springs in the 70s Z bed stabbing her. Breakfast was a fiasco, while I was up getting my fry up buffet the hotel staff were playing musical chairs in my absence and had decided to relocate us to another table without asking. I returned to my table where I watched a waitress walk off with my coffee. We were told our table was being used by a coach trip. I was in the restaurant 30 mins and not one person sat in the "reserved seats" I am writing this from the lounge at present. My partner has just had to return a chocolate brownie she bought because it smelled of stale cheese(no sell buy date on the wrapper!!). Mariah Carey was on the stereo a minute ago singing " all I want for Xmas is you...." If your a big fan of the stale smell of octogenarian, squeaky floorboards, unsafe bannisters, a twisted manager. 50s to 70s decor and hidden charges for using the swimming pool then this is the hotel for you... In fact I will sell you 2 nights for 50 quid.. 4 star they say... I'd say that's a 5 star lie!!!!

Room Tip: If your room Is at another hotel you'll do ok
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Dazpole
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Derby
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very good location and the hotel has lots of character, many hotels similar to this do need some TLC but the economic times mean they can't afford to due to the competition. Apart from that very enjoyable stay, okay the seagulls keep you awake at night, but you are at the seaside what do you expect, this isn't the hotels fault !!. Our bedroom apart from a few areas needing a touch up was spacious and comfortable. There was plenty of entertainment at night and you could also go to the Grand Hotel around the corner to enjoy their entertainment. There was a good choice at breakfast and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My partner and I both work in a hotel so we can quickly pick up on customer service skills etc!

We both found reception unfriendly and not very helpful.

The room was basic... in fairness ours was 'Ok' compared to many of the reviews i've read on here, but still the wallpaper was peeling off and cabinate doors were dropping.

Location was fab.

Car parking... you have to pay £10.00 in a multistory car park 5 mins down the road & breakfast was.. cheap.. but that was expected!

We also used the pool facilities. Think we paid £7.00 in total for entry and 2 towels. Jacuzzi was closed... the area was grubby and you just felt dirty.

Such a shame.. as you can tell that once upon a time the building was Grand and very Royal like but seems it has been neglected over many years which is how it has ended up how it is.

Room Tip: Clean one if your lucky!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple