“Wonderful Staff”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My parents have recently returned from the Royal Hotel (unfortunately the holiday was cut short as my mother was taken ill) the staff were exceptionally helpful and I would particularly like to thank Marie who went above and beyond to make sure that their medical needs were catered for in the short time they spent there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sss1926
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Impressive foyer ! Strange pokey reception area ?

Check in - Straight forward
Room - Horrible

We travelled to our room through a series of corridors that became increasingly more "fusty" smelling the further we went. The room was small, grotty and quite depressing. The floor sloped dramatically upwards towards the window at the other side, as did the bed, which was pushed up against a wall, as the room wasn't really big enough to accommodate a double bed AND 2 occupants.

We asked at reception if we could pay extra and upgrade but were told that they were fully booked. Left our luggage and went out for the evening. Came back and noticed room opposite was empty. Looked around it and it was 3 times larger than our cupboard ! Asked again at reception if they were sure there were no other rooms and 'miraculously' there was a no - show which meant that there was now a room available in the newly refurbished part of the hotel.

The new room was lovely. Smart, modern, clean, freshly painted with 2 steps up to a beautiful modern bathroom. Almost perfect apart from having no windows !

I would recommend booking personally rather than through a third party website. Speak to reception and ask to book a refurbished room, which is actually large enough to accommodate a double bed AND guests and preferably with a window. Otherwise you may sleep-in a little longer than expected, as we did, because you think it's still dark outside ! :)

Room Tip: Book directly and tell them you want a refurbished room. It's a pet friendly hotel so tell them...
2 Thank Lynne H
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Denmark
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at the Royal Hotel in Scarborough for a couple of days with some family. I had booked a "Superior Twin Room" with a sea view, but ultimately I got a room in the back of the building, with a very narrow side view of the sea. It wasn't very impressive. A family member who had booked a cheaper standard single room actually had a much better view of the sea. My room was larger, but the extra space was not really needed. The decor of the room was very dated and old-fashioned, but it was clean and tidy. It also featured a small flatscreen TV with a decent selection of channels and a total of three beds (one single and one double).

The bathroom was a bit worn, with a very old and fairly gross shower head, and an old tub. Otherwise it was okay, and you got some nice shampoo and bath products, and a couple of towels.

The hotel had free Wi-Fi which worked fairly well around the hotel, but sadly not in my room (it worked in some of the other rooms). The rooms and breakfast restaurant didn't seem to have AC which made it very hot as we visited during July where it was hot outside. Opening the window in the room didn't help much, and you got the noise of the many seagulls which were always right outside the hotel (nothing the hotel can be blamed for, but something to make a note of if you stay seaside in Scarborough).

Breakfast was fairly nice - there was big buffet with a good selection. Just be careful with the EXTREMELY hot plates that don't have a warning sign or anything before you take one.

Oddly, dinner was only available until 8 PM which is quite early. The bar seemed to be open well beyond that at least.

If you can find it, there's a very nice outside terrace where you can enjoy a cold drink.

While the lobby area looks rather grand and opulent, the hotel itself is very old and outdated. The decor is from a past life, and while the place is clean, the cracks in the facade are showing, so to speak. I'm sure the hotel was the ultimate in luxury a few decades ago. But for the rate, it's not a bad place to stay, and it's close to the beach and the boardwalk area with shops, restaurants and arcades. Service from the staff was also quite nice.

Room Tip: Be careful with the sea view room .. it's hit and miss
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rasmus H

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

decided to have a last minute weekend away and this was one of the hotels only available but as this was our first weekend away this year I booked, keeping an open mind and was quite excited however this all changed.

The reception were the rudest staff I've met with little identification of where you can actually park your car. The car park the receptionist directed us too was all gated up and shut so that was really of little help. We finally parked and on arriving back at the hotel we followed what he gave as instructions up to our room. Having tried to find it after 15minutes I went back and asked him to explain again which he exasperatingly did, which again was of little use. Whilst sat in a corridor slightly annoyed, a waiter went scurrying past us with champagne. I stopped and asked him where our room was to be informed we were at the total wrong side of the hotel. It took us over 30mins to find our room.

The room was very small, old and poorly decorated with what was supposed to be a double bed (im not sure it was). The view from the window was onto the back of some very old run down buildings. On the plus side it was reasonably clean, however this must be the only positive of the hotel. The heat of the room was unbelievable and the windows are locked at a certain level so we could get very little air flow into the room to cool us down. Additional to this at 3/4am the seagulls kindly woke us up and that was the end of our sleep or certainly mine as i'm quite a light sleeper!

The breakfast was hot but not very nice. Although there was plenty of choice the food tasted like it had been cooked in oil that seriously needed changing, disgusting. Needless to say we didn't stay there for breakfast again.

With reading other people reviews it seems like some rooms are large and others much smaller and its pot luck on which one you get. unfortunately for us we pulled the short straw.

I wouldn't ever stay here again for the price (£200 for 2 nights) when you could probably stay in a much nicer B&B for far less. If I hadn't of known everywhere was booked up id have walked on to see if we could stay anywhere else. In my opinion the hotel are not interested in complaints they just want to get as many people in and out as possible.

Room Tip: to choose a good room, don't stay at this hotel!
1 Thank NikkiJ886
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We chose this hotel for the good deal on cost - £55 for a twin room with breakfast. The room was spotless, recently decorated, spacious, very well equipped and very comfortable (except some springs were felt through mattress- resolved by padding with the extra duvet in the room). Got a room with a wonderful sea view and of Scarborough Castle, having paid for one without a view. Breakfast was Full English buffet, delicious, lots of choice, tables with crisp white linen, service excellent. I got Twinings Earl Grey on request. (Some of crockery not properly washed (Please service your dishwashers). Overall delighted.

Room Tip: Wifi in public areas only.
2 Thank Stella282014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Location wise, in the centre of Scarborough with sea views.

My hubby's work had booked a room for him for work purposes and as it was half term we booked additional room for our son. We requested the two rooms be next to each other.

Checking in wasn't very inviting and the hotel weren't exactly friendly. Our request had been ignored and the two rooms were at opposite ends to each other. Hotel full apparently so nothing could be done.

We checked in anyway, the rooms were awful. Very dirty and badly appointed. Stains everywhere. We tried talking to the staff to no avail so we checked out after only a couple of hours.

Afterwards i did put a complaint in and after about a month i got a response from the new manager. We got a refund which was great. The new manager did seem committed to getting the place into shape so it will be interesting to go back after a while. At the moment though, it needs a lot of TLC

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chezwylde

Musselburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I recently purchased a groupon voucher for a weekend and paid for an upgrade to a family room. It was terrible. When we arrived we got the lift to the fourth floor but had to climb the stairs to our 'suite'. The decor was very old / tired and there were broken floorboards under the carpet. Bathroom was bad with actual holes in the ceiling above the bath / shower that you could see through. My kids were scared the ceiling would fall in. The toilet hadnt been cleaned properly and there was blood all over the underside of the toilet seat. The children's beds hadnt been made up and a bottle of wine I had pre-paid for was missing from my account. I complained to reception who radio'd housekeeping who seemed very stressed and over-worked. They duly cleaned the bathroom and made up the bed (one for my two boys to share!!!) but it was just a fold down couch and the mattress was so thin they had wrapped it in a duvet, but the boys still couldn't sleep on it as the metal spars poked through. So we spent two uncomfortable nights all in the one bed!! Our balcony was in serious disrepair and the whole hotel was in need of work. Lights were out in the corridor etc. The hotel was infested with seagulls and the street outside was filthy with their droppings. There were no facilities for kids and we even had to pay extra to use the swimming pool. I have complained to Britannia and asked for my upgrade money back. The dining room decor was old, there was a broken window in there and I had to practically fight for a coffee in the morning at breakfast with the waitress giving us one small pot of coffee for two and saying if we wanted more we had to drink that first. It was with the exception of a hotel I stayed in in rural China, the worst hotel I have ever visited and I have stayed in hotels all over the UK and all over the world. If you are thinking of going here...............dont!!! This is the first hotel review I haver ever written but I want to save others the aweful experience of paying money to stay here.

Room Tip: Don't 'upgrade' to a suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family