“Great location, clean with character”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel with my mum and 2 kids. Both our rooms were large, very clean and comfortable. We found the staff friendly if a little overworked. The hotel could do with employing a few more. The food was plentiful, hot with a decent selection. The location is great for shops and heading down to the beach. The hotel is getting work done which I think is a positive some of the areas are lovely - the prince Regents lounge is stunning. We had a great holiday in a lovely hotel. I would go back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Morrison29
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Simon Powell

Write a ReviewReviews (2,516)

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We had looked at the royal online-the rooms looked lovely, very modern, swimming pool looked really nice, reception area looked stunning.
So what a disappointment when we arrived at this very tired looking hotel. We decided to go for a swim as we were early & had to pay for the 'pleasure' even though we were guests. My tip would be do not use the swimming pool-the whole area was filthy. I picked out some shoe covers to go to the changing rooms for me & my son. They were filthy & so smelly i had to wash my hands after touching them. The changing room was scruffy & the pool was so tiny that there was no chance of a proper swim and absolutely rubbish for children.
Next we decided to explore the hotel as we still did not have our room keys. I was told off for going down some stairs as apparently there was nothing down there & it was a construction site. I asked why it was not cordoned off - the answer was 'i dont know'.
Finally got keys to the room after we had sat on the stairs waiting for cleaning to be completed & listened to cleaners moaning to each other about how much they hated their boss. Room was dull,dingy,old fashioned, depressing.
Reception had rain pouring in stairway area, dripping down chandeliers-looked like roof was going to cave in. Staff put towels on floor to mop up water.
Breakfast-yuck, go to a nearby cafe if you do have to stay at the royal.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank sammymac50

I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay and I am quite surprised at some of the negative comments on here about this hotel. Yes, it's a bit tired looking inside and out but Britannia aren't exactly charging excessive rates and believe you do get what you pay for. To start with, I didn't have to wade through seagull poop to get through the door, as other reviewers have stated, so somebody must of been out with a scrubbing brush. Check-in was quick, the Receptionist was pleasant enough and our room was ready. The room was very spacious with a large bathroom and housekeeping visited each day to keep clean. The view was of the back of other buildings, however I hadn't gone away to sit in my bedroom staring out of the window so this wasn't a problem. Dinner is served between 6:30 and 9pm, food was OK for what I paid, waiter service rather than buffet, which I prefer. I would say that the fish dishes were nicer than the meat. The desserts were also a bit hit and miss. Breakfast had plenty of choice but found that I reverted to vegetarian, as the bacon was more fat than meat and the sausages more rusk than pork. The rest was fine so didn't put me off. Entertainment was OK but there wasn't enough on. Thursday night consisted of 45 minutes of the cabaret act, which was over by 9:30 and then nothing, not even a few tracks playing in the background so most patrons left for bed or to party elsewhere. I found the staff to be friendly when they actually had the time to give you their attention, as they all seem to be overworked due to understaffing. This is probably the only quibble I have about the hotel. If Britannia hired more staff there may be less complaints, as the cover they have on is inadequate for customer demands so the quality of service suffers, not the staff's fault but they are the one's who are on the receiving end and I have nothing but respect for them after witnessing how professionally they deal with it. I had to wait to get served at the bar for quite some time one night as there was one barman on, who is also required to do trays of hot drinks and provide table service for this. The tables didn't get cleared this night neither. Would a glass collector on minimum wage be too much to ask for? Back to the seagulls - they don't sleep so be prepared to drift off listening to them squawking then waking up to it too. Can't blame hotel for this though as the whole of Scarborough is plagued by them. I had noticed the well known burger establishment up the road had put barriers up on their roof, which I assume is to deter the gulls, however this seemed to have opposite effect as there were flocks of them trying to break in a la Hitchcock's The Birds, so I would be careful about what you wished for when complaining about Britannia not doing anything about them! All in all I enjoyed my break away here and I would go back, although not on a family break as there was little to entertain my son of an evening. Free Wi-Fi in the lounge area was very much appreciated though, as he was on his IPad for most of the time.

Room Tip: Get a triple family room for the same price as a double if you are travelling as a couple, as they a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Deej62

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Was concerned after reading reviews but totally happy with our stay. Some parts of the hotel are tired admittedly but clean. Our first room had rain coming through the window (there was a freak storm blowing!) rang reception and within 10 minutes was moved to another room, no problem at all. Breakfast not elaborate but enough for a good start to the day - I'd definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Baggy70

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a traditional grand old seaside hotel and the owners have tried hard to recapture some of the grandeur - and almost succeeded.
We took our two grandchildren there for an overnight seaside break in a family room and it cost us a mere £140 including dinner B & B for the four of us.
The buffet breakfast was fine but the dinners werevery ordinary cafe style fare and the adult portions small, so don't expect fine dining - not if you go on a "deal" like we did.
The en suite room was ideal with two separate sleeping areas and the beds were clean and comfortable.
Altogether an enjoyable experience and very good value for money.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet as street noise is negligible,but obviously there is less chance of being di...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Derrick A

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I booked a 2 night stay as a surprise for my husband's birthday. It was a disaster. There is no parking spaces so you have to find your own or use ncp car park. The receptionist gave us directions to our room which we followed and found we were walking through a building site! There were builders refurbishing rooms and they had to move toolboxes, cable's and ladders. The room was a refurbished one but it was so small it was ridiculous, the windows were dirty and the view was a brick wall. I complained and asked for a more suitable room. The duty manager showed us to a room he said had a sea view. It had if you were able to open the window and hang out of it! The wallpaper was hanging off the walls, the windows were so dirty you couldn't see out of them, the two easy chairs had threadbare arms and I didn't even look in the bathroom. I asked for my £200 to be refunded (I paid when I arrived at hotel) but was told it was company policy not to be able to do this. We ended up going to another hotel.

Room Tip: There aren't any.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank greatgran47
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Do not stay at this hotel if you want value for money. They charge for things upon arrival and the leisure facilities are extra but is very dirty and run down which pretty much sums up the hotel.
The staff don't really care about any issues. So don't expect anything to be resolved. I felt ripped off!

Stayed: August 2014