Royal Hotel Scarborough
The Esplanade Hotel(Scarborough)
Good 3.5/5
Cumberland Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Pool
Marine Residence(Scarborough)
    2,589 results
    All reviewsplenty of hot waterplenty of choicesea fronttown centrefull englishseafront
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 1 September 2009

We've stayed at the Royal several times and whilst its always been traditional, old fashioned, a little down at heal, it fitted our needs quite well. The food was usually good the rooms were clean but needing a little work to bring them up to spec. The staff were always down to earth, friendly and helpful. We stayed again over August Bank Holiday 2009.
    This three star was four if not five star in staff helpfulness, courtesy, the food very good, the place was spotless, comfortable and our room, newly refurbished, was completed to a very high standard. We had been badly let down the previous night by another hotel in York but The Royal came to our rescue, and although they were really busy preparing for a large Hindu wedding party the next day, nothing was too much trouble for our late arrival, even to the point of escorting me through late night revelers in the local streets to make sure I could find a parking space at 1am in the morning.
    Will we be back? Most certainly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 28 August 2009

We stayed here with a coach party and were very impressed on first entering this hotel. The dazzling, ornate foyer and magnificent gilded and marble staircase were superb. However, we were NOT impressed by the service in the dining room. The girl waitresses seemed , at times, disgruntled, inefficient and apathetic, and it was noticeable that individual guests got better service generally than coach parties. There seemed no-one supervising the smooth running which resulted in staff wandering about aimlessly. It was better not to be in a hurry as the staff seemed to serve people as and when they wished. Thank goodness at least the food was good!

Our bedroom was spacious and comfortable with modern fittings and the bathroom also was quite roomy.

The general impression on entering the hotel was good but the reception staff were not particularly welcoming, They seemed to welcome individual guests but just 'tolerated' coach parties.

All in all, an attractive hotel rather spoiled by some decidedly unattractive staff attitudes.

• Stayed: August 2009
    Reviewed 11 August 2009

We were initially put off by some vehemently bad reviews of this hotel. But we loved the location and wanted to stay there, so went ahead anyway. Before I begin - you will not want to stay here if you are reckoning on finding a slightly soul-less, new, all the rooms are the same kind of place. If you fancy the typical English seaside break in a hotel full of character and slightly faded glamour this is for you - and we loved it. From the chandeliers to the sweeping staircase and the friendly staff, to the fab views and tea parlour across the road, it was superb.
    We did ask for a room upgrade as the room we were shown to initially was too small for us (2 adults, one tweenager, one baby). If you are bothered by an ageing room, ask for one of the new ones - the hotel seems to have been half refurbished so there are older rooms and newer ones. Also, if you want a sea view, ask for it.
    We stayed in the Gordon Suite at the top of the house and it was fantastic, with a bedroom, sitting room and bathroom. Marvellous, and nice and big for us with our 11 year old and 1 year old sons.
    The hotel is popular, so reception can get very busy. The biggest drawback is that the hotel cannot deal with reservations itself as the reservations are handled by a central office off the premises, so be very clear about what you want from your stay, and make your booking over the phone rather than booking it on the internet.
    Breakfast was great, and housekeeping staff were very helpful - we needed more pilows and towels thanks to the baby. No problem. We needed the room cleaned at a different time as the baby was napping. No problem.
    We also the the most amazing room service, huge meals (which were delicious) for very good value.
    So - don't stay here if you are looking for a hotel that you could stay in in any other city. This won't be for you.
    Do stay here if you are looking for something a bit more interesting.
    We will recommend it (and the location, near the beach and shops, but you have to park in a car park around the corner apart from loading which is approx a 20 minute stay right in front of the hotel) to friends - a great experience. It has a great pool too!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
    Reviewed 8 August 2009

I had previously stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions and had booked again for our main holiday this year. Having called the week before to confirm arrangements I discovered that not only had none of my requests been met, these were made in February of this year, but also didn't get the sea view I was assured of. I was treated like an inconvenience to the delightful receptionist, who actually broke off from my conversation to answer another call and have a chat with whoever that was. She also managed to cut me off when I asked for the manager. I rang back and spoke to the duty manager who apologised and said he would arrange for the hotel manager to call me. To be fair this did happen, however I feel he had been to the same customer care college as the receptionist. He was of no help at all and basically the underlying message was tough, you get what you're given. I was so angry I cancelled the accommodation there, apart from the night I had already paid for. We turned up for the one night only for me to be given a very smelly, overheated room with a delightful view of a very scruffy wall. I called to reception to say I would like a different room. Unfortunately the same receptionist was on duty and her charm school classes still hadn't kicked in. The duty manager came up, the only one who was helpful, and arranged for a change of room. I couldn't wait to leave the next morning and if I hadn't paid the amount of money I had would not have stayed there at all. Not all the staff are bad, but if they take the hotel manager as an example to follow it is of no surprise some of them behave as they do.
    So if you want a hoiday where you're treated like dirt, have your hard earned money taken off of you for a substantard service then please go here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
    3  Thank no_messing
    Reviewed 5 August 2009

very pleasant stay as always. good service good food although the evenings 'entertainment' is a little weak. Excellent views.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple