“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
London
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed 3 November 2009

This is the worst hotel that I've ever stayed in. 11 of us stayed here for my granddad's 80th birthday at a cost of over £1200. The staff were incredibly rude, they lost our luggage and expected us to find it. The state of the rooms was horrendous. A superior double is 2 single beds pushed together with peeling wall paper and holes in the wall.
We prebooked spa treatments before we arrived but the therapist was not aware as the treatments had been booked for the wrong month. We did get treatments but they were overpriced and the manicure and pedicure products were cheap and bought from boots which when you're paying those prices you expect more.

The hotel is centrally located and the food was good but the attitude of the staff and the quality of the rooms lets this hotel down a lot

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Polish first
York
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I am a little dismayed at some of the petty comments that people feel they need to raise in the public forum. All large and small organisations are sometimes let down by there staff, but if overall your stay was a pleasant experience, then that is the message you should be conveying. I am part of a army re-union group who chose to stay at the Royal Hotel for a weekend. I paid 2 prior visits to the hotel to make arrangements and was extended the utmost courtesy on both occasions. I arranged specific functions for the weekend during these visits and every request was complied with to the full. The weekend was a great success and this can be attributed to the staff. None of my group (42 people) had any complaints about their rooms or service. The food was excellent at breakfast and particularly the evening meal. This hotel is excellent value..

• Stayed June 2009
Birmingham
Reviewed 16 October 2009

A tired looking hotel with extremely dirty windows. A real shame as it was in a great location with a superb staircase. The public areas were grand, however the staff could not be bothered with their guests.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I never write to complain but after my stay at The Royal i felt compelled to - rather than write a seperate review here is a copy of that letter to give you an idea of the experience you can expect.
I returned home yesterday following a weekend stay in the Royal, St Nicholas Street. We were part of a group of 10 staying Friday 9th with another two joining our party on Saturday 10th. We were however all responsible for settling our own individual accounts.
It was for the most part an enjoyable stay, the restaurant and bar staff and housekeeping are to be commended on the level of pleasant service we received, they were helpful and efficient at all times. In addition the breakfast and evening meals were lovely, plenty of choice, hot and freshly cooked.
The positives however were overshadowed by two incidents which I believe require your attention. Our room number 523 was a ‘superior’ room at the rate of £145.98 per night. The room was large, comfortable and offered a nice view- it did not however provide a working shower. When I visited reception on Saturday morning and spoke to Jayne she was not in the least helpful or surprised at the condition of the shower and she informed me that ‘they’ were aware of the problem and there was nothing she could do, it was an old building, poor water pressure etc etc and all she could do was tell ‘them’ again. I explained that I live in a large old building and am familiar with problems that can occur with showers but that this shower was broken and that I resented paying for a superior room when the hotel was aware that the shower did not work. She offered no solution or alternative nor did she offer any maintenance visit to the room. I find it unacceptable that you are unwilling to provide, yet happy to charge for a most basic requirement in accommodation these days and have the audacity to label this accommodation superior and inflate the cost accordingly.
The second incident highlighted and reinforced the unhelpful attitude of the reception staff in contrast to the rest of the staff I encountered during my stay. On Sunday morning we called at Reception to check out and pay for any extras, admittedly these were few because we had paid cash each evening for wine and bar drinks for our large group, in excess of £300 each evening. Nevertheless out of only two transactions to pay for, one of them was incorrect, two supplements for cheese had been added to our bill when it should have only been one (£2.95). Whilst this might sound very petty it was still incorrect and I asked Charlotte to change the £5.90 charge to £2.95 as the other £2.95 needed to be charged to another room which, when she checked the restaurant bill she could see that they had made a mistake. Incredible as it may seem Charlotte told me that she couldn’t remove the charge because the room that should have had the charge had already checked out and she had no way of getting it from them, the only way she could remove the charge was to call her manager and with an embarrassing queue forming at reception I just paid it, but I am furious to be put in that position, why should I pay for something i haven’t had because of a mistake made by the hotel? And why should I be made to feel embarrassed at questioning a £2.95 overcharge, what would have happened if the overcharge was bigger? Though the room who had not been charged the supplement had been a member of our group I was in no way responsible for the costs they incurred during their visit.
I left your hotel trying to convince myself that the positives had outweighed the negative experiences, I rarely complain and I always try to give praise where due but I feel genuinely that I was treated cynically by your hotel and it is a poor reflection of your management that this was allowed to happen.''

My only other comment for anyone intending to stay would be that parking is a 5 minute walk away in the NCP £6 for 24 hours which is reasonable enough (though the NCP closes at 7pm each night so you need to be certain that you won't need your car again during the evening) It is difficult to stop and offload bags at hotel entrance because road is so busy and the pick up only area is always full

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank Pollyschoices
NEWCASTLE
Reviewed 17 September 2009

After paying £130 for 2 adults for ONE NIGHT B&B i would have thought the hotel would have been half decent!
The hotel itself has a nice entrance and looks quite grand.
The room we were allocated was DISGUSTING!! it was yellow and blue and it was like stepping back in time. there was staines on the carpets all over and mucky marks all over the walls. I didn't even want to get into the bed as it looked like if you hit it a poof of dust would appear!! Our room overlooked a brick wall, the carpet in the hall way was a hazzard if not anything else! full of air bubbles and lumps and bumps.
Breakfast in the morning wasn't very nice. I'm not a fussy eater at all but the beans were cheap and had no taste and the ketchup was cheap and tasted of vinigar - so i settled on toast and jam... defnitly not worth the £65 per head!!
The bar was a rip off it was £9.70 for a glass rose wine and a bottle of magners.
I would have rather paid half the money and stayed in the travelodge which is just next door.
I chose the hotel for its good location which was the ONLY good thing about it. On the hotels website the hotel looks lovely and the rooms look brand new and modern.. but not ours. I will never return to this hotel ever again, and being a travel agent i would never reccomend it to a customer either.
P.s be sure to go to Florios Italian Restaurant on the main shopping street in town centre - excellend food and really reasonable!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RACHIEBEE
pete754
Reviewed 10 September 2009

When we arrived we were asked if would like to pay for the week end in advance ??
There is no parking at hotel park at NCP with hieght restriction.
room 101 no views & floor slopes very badly very uncomfortable nights sleep.
No tables ready for breakfast 10 min wait.
Reception staff very poor

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pete754
jacci1970
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We had accident whilst travelling down to Scarborough & rang the company (Superbreaks.com) to advise, we asked if we could change our booking to allow us time to sort our car or get replacement. Their attitude was 'tough [--]', no you can't. So we rang the hotel direct & they we fantastic. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, our room was gorgeous & had fantastic view.

We also enjoyed the Oasis leisure facilities & the pool attentant (Radek) was very helpful. We'll be definitely staying there again..

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family