“Oh what a great hotel”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We were made welcome from the moment we walked in the doors to the time of leaving.Staff and managers just great, hotel so clean bedroom with new beds & pillows all refurbished, and the meals what a choice I will have to diet now I am home.
We could not fault this Hotel and we are thinking of bringing a coach dancing party either at the end of this year or early next year.
Once again thank you to everyone for making our stay so great.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,495)

Reviewed 31 January 2011

My partner and I along with my mum and dad decided that we wanted a complete break from all the entertaining at home over christmas and decided to book in to the Royal and be looked after for a change.
I have mobility problems and so does my mum but we felt that for a traditional hotel,the Royal bent over backwards to cater for people who were more infirm than us.Everyone was treated equally whether young or old and it was lovely to see families of different generations spending their xmas together.
I have been in the catering trade all my life and have very high expectations as a consequence of this.We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and felt that it was fantastic value for money.Have any of the contributors to this thread,actually checked how much other hotels were charging over the Christmas period? I did my homework and feel that we did very well for what we paid.
Our men folk had a slight gripe over the cost of drinks,especially as we are not great alcohol drinkers anyway and soft drinks were very pricey.It is something that you find in hotels anyway so,my motto is,if it is too expensive,just drink less.
Although the entertainment suited me down to the ground as although I cannot dance,I love to watch others,my partner said he would have liked a bit more variety.Maybe something to make a note of management?
All in all,a very good experience.We are already saving for next Christmas

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2011

The position of the hotel is great. Scarbrough itself is showing signs of age.and unfortunately the same can be said for the hotel. The room was OK but there were a number of problems (toilet seat broken, shower pressure extremely low, poor TV reception) which marked it down. The food in the restaurant was a plus point and we were more than happy with breakfast and dinner offerings. The staff quality was, however, hit and miss. The bar staff always appeared to be more interested in talking amongst themselves and we had a blip on checking in which would not have happened with preoperly trained staff. Restaurant was staffed mainly by enthusiastic amateurs. Clearly, there is a need for a management training programme - there didn't seem to be a lack of numbers in staff, only in how they performed. Frankly, it was not a particularly expensive break we took but it still left us thinking that it could have been much better with some improvement - none of which would have involved managment in spending money! They nearly got it right, but failed!

Reviewed 27 January 2011

On our arrival to check in we were allocated a room number ,but the key wasnt to be found ,we were kept waiting stood at the desk for over 10 mins while the search for the keys was carried out .
Eventually when the receptionist gave up the search we were given another room instead .
We then enquired about parking and were just told where they recommended ,no discount was offered at all and we paid £12 .90 to park overnight .
The room was clean and large and we had a nice sea view.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice ,the waiting staff very efficient and friendly.
My main concern regarding our stay was we booked through a booking company online and the hotel instantly took the full amount for the stay even though we booked 2 weeks in advance ,we have booked many times before and only a deposit has been taken .
Overall we enjoyed our stay but will probably choose a different hotel next time .

Reviewed 22 January 2011

This Hotel is a grand old lady with character by the bucketload,do not expect to get a modern hotel but if you want an old hotel with charagter and staff that are always helpful at a reasonable price you do not have to look any further. My stay was excellent and the staff were the same.Room (windsor) was excellent,clean and large with an excellent sea view,Very relaxing stay.Could not fault the food and the breakfast was superb

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

we regularly stay at the grand (approx 8 times a yr) but couldnt get in last wknd as it was fully booked.After much searching on internet found a great deal at the royal b&b £25 per person per nite so we tht go for it.Absolutely loved the place.Room 402 was clean,modern and warm.The bathroom looked like it had recently been re furbished and was very modern.I allways make it a point to have fish and chips from a different restaurant or chippie from one i have tried before and this hotel serves what i can describe as the best fish and chips i have tasted in four years of regularly visiting.The lounge and bar area are comfortable and private.The breakfast was buffet style and was all quality food (lincolnshire sausages).The staff were polite and friendly and couldnt do enough.Would i stay here again ?...Answer:Yes i have allready booked for february.Try it you"ll love it

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2011

My husband and I are in our late eighties, and I am in a wheelchair, the access was awful, and my husband fell on some poorly signed and lit steps on our way to the lift on arrival. The member of staff witnessed this, but no accident report form was filled in. On Xmas day my husband had a blank episode an fell gashing his head,ending with him him in hospital. I was told that I had two hours to pack my bags and leave, as it is a hotel not a care home. I had to be taxied home by the insurance company, arriving home at 11pm xmas night. They kept his glasses ,hearing aid, and slippers to send on to him, but didn't do it,and when queried by my daughter and the hospital they finally asked for credit card details to send them in taxi two days later. I would not recommend this hotel to elderly people because we were treated very poorly

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
EnglishRoseHotels, Owner at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

I am the seventy four year old owner of the Royal Hotel in Scarborough. I actually live and work at the Royal Hotel and I feel so very hurt and upset that evidently anyone can write reviews on this website about the Royal whether they are true or not. I do think reviews are a good thing if they are true and correct, but in this particular case the facts quoted in this review are incorrect and in some instances slanderous.

I have personally had to use zimmers, wheelchairs and other aids at times over recent years and I am totally sympathetic to incapacitated guests. There is no way at all that we do not look after such guests to the very best of our ability. However, we are not a registered nursing home and as such cannot look after guests requiring a full time carer. Apparently when at home, Mrs Davies has three other daily carers as well as her husband who her full time carer to look after her.

I was in Reception just after Mr and Mrs Davies had had a conversation with the Receptionist. The Receptionist was concerned about Mr Davies. She informed me that he looked very poorly and, at almost ninety years of age, was perhaps not quite fit enough to have to push his wife's wheelchair around as apparently she requires twenty four hour care. The Receptionist said that perhaps he ought to lie down in their room and have a cup of strong tea, and then he might feel a little better.

A few minutes later Mrs Davies rang down to Reception and said that her husband had fallen off the bed on to the floor and that because of her condition she was unable to move him. Immediately a member of staff went to the room but, because of Health and Safety requirements, he was not able to attempt to move Mr Davies. He rang Scarborough Hospital and paramedics came almost straight away. They did remark that it looked as if Mr Davies had had a slight stroke and would let the hotel know as soon as possible whether or not they were going to keep Mr Davies in hospital.

The Receptionist then rang their daughter to inform her about what had happened and asked if it would be possible for her to collect her mother. She said that it was not possible as she was having a Drink’s Party and that her mother would have to stay at the Royal. It was at this stage that the Receptionist did actually say that unfortunately we could not look after Mrs Davies as we were not a care home. This was said in a genuine, good way and was really only stating the facts that we did not have the facilities or carers in the hotel to be able to look after her mother properly. I am not prepared, for the sake of embarrassment to Mrs Davies, to elucidate her ailments.

As their daughter was unable to come to collect her mother we tried to make alternative arrangements so that Mrs Davies could be taken home. The very helpful coach driver who had brought Mr and Mrs Davies to the hotel informed us that the coach company would pay for a taxi through their insurance to take her home.

I am not quite sure about the articles left at the Hospital as when any guest leaves anything with us at the hotel we would post it to them by recorded delivery and not by taxi at more expense.

We really did our very best to look after both Mr and Mrs Davies, to the extent of one of our staff washing and tidying up Mrs Davies before she went home and making sure that she had a meal before she left. I feel that we did our very best in this situation and I am sorry that their daughter wrote such a vindictive letter.