“WOW how the quality of food has gone down & kids splashing !!!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crown Spa Hotel

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Wirral, United Kingdom
“WOW how the quality of food has gone down & kids splashing !!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

After going to The Crown Spa at Scarborough on many occasions over the last six years, we have seen many changes for the better, although it was already a very good hotel. We have stayed in various room including their penthouse rooms with romantic lighting and tilovision in the en-suite and facilities that we have struggled to match. BUT this time, Oh my god children splashing and screaming uncontrolled by parents while you try to relax in the hot tub or have a relaxed swim, in the out of bounds area a family aloud their infant in the sauna and steam room screaming and larking about & then spraying each other with the cold hose all over the loungers.(thought there were camers) or are they just a blind eye?

Decided to leave the spa and get ready to enjoy a Full English Breakfast, wrong again. the breakfast started very nice with a selections of fruits, cereals, toast & pastries, yogurts etc followed by a breakfast that had been sat that long under heat lamps that it was a plate of dried food including a cremated mushroom & char grilled to a cinder black pudding.

My husband & I came to have a romantic break together after having quite a traumatic time in the past year. this really didn't fit the bill. What a shame the food doesn't live up to the 5* standard to which we paid for, we have recommended this hotel to every one before because of the standard but what can we tell them now?

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silver0204

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

I stopped at the Hotel with Friends for a Spa break, we had a lovely time. The Hotel was very clean and staff couldn't do enough for you. The rooms have been refurbished and are top quality. Food was great, and the spa treatments were really lovely. The location was great right opposite the beach and a pleasent walk into Scarborough. We all had a lovely time and will be returning for the New year Package!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DebbieBradley
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Thanks for a great review and delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. we do look forward to welcoming you back for the New Years festivities but do hope we have a long hot summer before then.

I will as always read your review with all others at the management meeting as well as placing a printed copy onto the staff notice board.

David Chambers
Driffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We had planned a trip hoping to be lucky enough to get the 5th floor as the rooms up there are wonderful!

We'd been given the 1st floor which isn't the best view, but nonetheless we were ok with that. The shower wasn't running any hot, but the bathwater did. Again, we stayed put and just 'soldiered on' through the little inconveniences.
(On a previous stay, we were for some unknown reason charged extra for prolonged morning stay, though this 10 pound charge was quite easily and hastily taken off the bill) Breakfast was as fantastic as it usually is with Crown Spa as we indulged in a continental breakfast followed by full english for 5 pound extra.

My partner and I will probably give another hotel a go to appreciate the crown spa like we did in the former days.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
North Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We have just got home from a 3 night stay at the Crown Spa and I felt that I had to put this review on straight away to say how impressed we were by the standards in every aspect from the moment we checked in to the time we left. Our room 516 was spotlessly clean. I felt very decadent sitting in the bath watching the tv! My husband enjoyed using the telescope to look out into the bay and we were touched by the card and voucher that had been left to wish us a happy anniversary. We ate in the restaurant each evening and were very impressed with the menu and culinary skills of the chef. The waiting staff were extremely helpful in their advice and attention but we never felt rushed to make our choices nor to leave at the end of the meal. Have I missed anything? I hope not because I do sincerely want to ensure that you appreciate that nothing is overlooked by the management and staff at the hotel to ensure that your stay is as comfortable as possible. Yes I am sure that you could stay cheaper elsewhere but I can guarantee that you would not enjoy the equivalent level of standards as you do at the crown spa. To end on a negative though - it was only 3 nights - but that will be rectified next time. Thank you crown spa for a wonderful 33rd anniversary stay

• Stayed March 2011
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

Enjoyed a ninth stay at the Crown Spa Hotel between 13 - 16 February. I have stayed in many UK coastal hotels and without doubt this is one of the best of it's type. On this visit we had a lovely sea view room with a very wide and comfy bed, also a modern bathroom and a telescope on a tripod to watch the boats in the bay, which is a nice touch. We have stayed in a variety of rooms over last 4 years and they are all excellent . The mini suites are great for special occasions. We have noticed the rooms have gradually been refurbished during our many visits and there is a culture of continuous improvement. The bed was so comfy that my wife and I overslept one morning and completely missed breakfast which is something we have never done in nearly 30 years of marriage. We made up for this with a large seafood lunch at the Magpie Cafe at Whitby. The views outside the hotel are breathtaking with the bay, promenade and harbour. A great walk from this hotel is through the Italian Gardens and then along the sea front to the harbour with plenty of cafes and shops along the way.

The hotel staff are friendly and efficient and most seem very happy to be working at this hotel. Many faces are still the same as on our first visit some years ago which is a good sign of a happy and settled work environment. Nothing seems too much trouble. One example of this was during one evening in the very relaxing lounge and bar area ( great for people watching ) . I was ordering a drink from the bar and casually mentioned that Spurs were playing Milan and I wondered what the score was. Another member of staff must have overheard me say this, About 15 minutes later the young lady who overheard me came to speak to me and my wife in the lounge and told me the score of the football match I mentioned. This is without doubt exceptional service which you rarely come across these days. Great credit to this young member of staff, I think her name is Hayley. Anyone looking for a great hotel on this part of the Yorkshire coast should look no further than the Crown Spa. I'm already looking forward to our tenth visit in a few months time.......

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blimeysanta2002
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
May I first of all thank you for your patronage and say how nice it is when customers return and notice all of the hard work that the staff and management do on a daily basis. So glad that you liked the extra features like the telescope as we do have some wonderful views from the sea view rooms.

I will relay your positive comments to all the heads of departments at this week’s meeting as well as placing your review in the staffroom, I will personally give a big thank you to Hayley who is a very valuable member of the team.

We do look forward to seeing you in the future and for many years to come,

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

It didn't start too well when we (my 61 year old wife & 7 year old grandson) went to our third floor sea view mini suite which was a long way from the lift and up and down a few flight of steps despite me stating that my wife had walking difficulties. when I had booked it.The room was not very inviting and to see the sea you had to stand on tip toes, to be fair, when I requested a change we were soon accommodated in a second floor family room which though not what I had paid for was comfortable and satisfactory for our three night stay. and had an excellent large flat screen TV with a wide choice of free view channels which at least kept the grandson amused as there was little else to do in the hotel other than swim. I'd booked continental breakfast which was a good idea and cheaper than all English, first two mornings was faultless with a wide selection of cereals & fruit along with croissants, etc with excellent and friendly service but on the final morning it was the reverse with very limited selection and slow service with resulted in my grandson not being able to have a final swim before departure as the swimming pool restrictions mean that children are not allowed in the pool between 10-30am & 3pm as it obviously caters more for members of the leisure centre than hotel guests. I think if there has to be a restriction then 11am would be fairer as breakfast has to be slightly rushed otherwise. The hotel has good friendly staff who are willing to help at every given opportunity but I believe it lacks certain amenities for children as other than the swimming pool there's nothing else to amuse a 7 year old in winter, no games room, no games, no books in reception, perhaps one of the several business meeting rooms could be converted into a games room or a separate lounge as other than the bar where meals are served there is nowhere else to relax. One plus was when booking tickets for the Sea Life Centre it saved us quite a bit of money when buying at the hotel

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
May I first of all apologise for the inconveniences experienced with the first room you were allocated as you should have been informed there were steps down to the room. I am delighted to hear that a room that suited your requirements was quickly found.
I am a little lost as to how the choices for the continental buffet were a limited selection as the buffet is the same daily except for the complimentary hot dish which is changed daily.
We do have the pool open to children for 6 hours a day and in 6 years as the manager have never felt the need to expand these times. We cater for business, spa breaks and leisure breaks and feel that the balance is just right, customers wanting to relax after a therapy would probably prefer not to be disturbed by over excited children.
We do state in our hotel literature that a large number of games and DVD’s are available from reception on request as well as maps for local walks and even rock pool discovery charts that children love to fill out whilst exploring the beach..
I am so glad that you took advantage of the reduced rate for the sea life centre who we work very closely with in promoting what is great about Scarborough.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

Just back home in York atter 3 nights with my teenage son,great hotel and fab sports facilities underground[a real hidden gem!]Nice location for town and elevated sea views;we got a twin room at the back [257]facing the fire escape but it was very clean and we got 70% discount from Expedia on the normal rate so we cant complain,A really nice break even though the weather was overcast.We had room only and ate breakfast out as the hotel food was expensive .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a positive review and for pointing out that some great deals can be found on the internet during the winter months. So glad that you enjoyed both the hotel and the leisure facilities and do hope that you choose to visit us again in the future.