“Pity about the room!”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed at the Crown Spa for a weekend conference. Location of hotel excellent for the Spa Complex and all the staff were very helpful and pleasant. Breakfasts and dinner had good choice and quality. However I was allocated room 209 (see previous review of 109) and was very disappointed. Whilst the furnishings were good with pink spotlights and co-ordinating cushions, curtains and bedspread, the room was so dark with one small window in the very corner. The room was too hot but if I opened the window (thankfully the window did open) there was clatter from below which I assume was the kitchen. There was virtually no natural light in the room, no view and it was noisy being by the lift. The bed was jammed into a sort of alcove which added to the claustrophobic feeling. Once again it seems to be the case of single travellers being given the worst accommodation. I wonder if it would have been different if I had requested a sea view? If I stay there again I would check the room location first.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view.
2  Thank asenby13
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

May I first of all say thank you for a mostly positive review. Room 209 is a single room with a window measuring 1000mm x 1800mm, it has been furnished to a very high standard as well as furnished with a four foot bed not the standard three foot of a single.

We have a great deal of single customers staying with us for both business and pleasure and rarely do we find that any of our 5 single rooms do not fit the requirements of the customer, I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met.

I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

David Chambers Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)

Reviewed 28 October 2011

stayed at the hotel earlier in the month. we had been before and used the spa facilities but never stayed before. We were really pleased with the stay overall. Our room was amazing, great see view, very spacious, loved the telescope as i forgot to take my binoculars, and gorgeous bathroom even if a little small. Our spa visit was as good as we remembered from our last. Food was very tasty, we ordered room service and were not expecting great things and actually had a really amazing meal. Check in efficient. We did have to wait a long time for our luggage to be sent to our room, in fact we had to call back down to reception. I think fans should come automatically come in the bedrooms, our room was very hot, even though it was october.I did find it odd that on arrival they told you to go to the bar to get a complementary hot beverage, which was a pleasant surprise, but the waitress made us wait for some coffee to brew, and then sent us to make it ourselves. If you are going to offer something in a four star hotel, surely she could have brought us a coffee over to the table. If you are going to offer extras, then at least do it properly. This is really my only negatives. My overall opinion is that we shall return for sure, but iron out those niggly small things that make a guests stay hassle free

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

May I first of all say thank you for a mostly positive review, I am delighted that you enjoyed both the hotel and spa experience and do look forward to you returning in the future.

We do offer complimentary tea and coffee from twelve noon until six in the evening every and this is in the form of a tea and coffee station, we provide fresh coffee and a selection of fruit and herbal teas, it seems that the bar staff were just replenishing as you arrived and I am sorry that this inconvenienced you.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Arrived on the Monday evening. Check in no problem and the room was lovely. First night in the restaurant and the meal was superb. On the second night we finished work rather late and there were no available tables (our fault). We tried the cafe and were shown to a table still to be cleared. We then sat for another 12 to 15 minutes before everything was cleared and our order was taken. To be fair they were very busy and I got the impression they were short of staff. No complaints about the food however. The next two nights were fine.
Breakfast each morning was unsurpassed. Plenty of choice and plenty of tasty food. No one should leave the breakfast room feeling hungry.
The only slight hiccup during my the stay was the delay in service in the cafe. On saying that I would definitely pay a return visit

1  Thank JimmyKK

Thank you so much for a great review, I feel that your review is very honest and tells exactly of how you found things. We do run a very tight ship and customer reservations for restaurant really do help us provide a better standard of service, we are extremely busy and do know that the reception team are recommending that customers do make a reservation if they would like to dine with us.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to all staff in the weekly management meeting.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Booked 3 day weekend break for my wifes birthday. Reservation via Hotels website. Large double bed!!!! small room with small 4ft 6inch bed. Hotel said they had no other rooms.
No hot water in room, reception sent porter up, said it was possibly thermostat and that he wouldtry and fix it!!!! if not maintenance would see to it the next day.
Next day still no hot water!!! had to shower in spa. Asked to speak to duty manager to get resolved.
Went out for meal came back and could not sleep for loud disco!! rang reception and told wedding disco till 12.30am!! We had gone for relaxing weekend.
Not really a relaxing weekend, will certainly not be returning.
John H
Matlock

4  Thank John H

May I first of all say how disappointed I am that you did not enjoy your stay. I have been unsuccessful in tracing the issues that you report in your review and would like you to contact me with details of your stay and the name the booking was made in to davidchambers@crownspahotel.com this will help me to resolve the issues that you experienced.

We do pride ourselves on the hotel and service we provide and it seems that on this occasion we did not fulfil your expectations.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

We have just returned from our stay at the Spa. Having previously stayed there in September and loved it so we decided to return again. Our last visit we had a deluxe room which was superb with attention to detail, cleanliness and wonderful staff from Reception, to bar to housekeeping. Nothing was too much trouble. The recent trip was just unbelievable. We visited Scarborough for the birth of our first little granddaughter and were only staying 2 nights but returning a day later for a 3rd night. The reception staff were extremely friendly on our departure and a dialogue ensued with me revealing the reason for our visit. . On our return we were told we had an upgrade to the top floor where the new penthouse rooms were. It was just amazing. Waiting for us was a lovely card designed by one of the receptionists congratulating us on the birth of little Sophie, and a box of chocolates. The room was wonderful not to mention the bathroom which I will not reveal why and should remain a surprise for other people. We have never had a sea view but that does not bother us in least the sea you just have to stand at front door of the hotel to see it. Sincere thanks to the reception staff and all who made our stay so wonderful

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ann c

Once again congratulations on the birth of your first grandchild I am absolutely delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at The Crown and I speak on behalf of myself and the team when I say thank you so much for your comments.

Thanks again and it goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the staff; we endeavour to make our guests stay a pleasurable one. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

We return to this hotel time & time again and have never ever had any reason to complain about anything. All the staff are efficient, consistent, courteous and polite. A pleasure to deal with both on arrival, the in between bit, and on departure. The rooms are presented to the highest standards, housekeepers assist with any extra requirements willingly and cheerfully.
The restaurant is certainly a must, again 1st class food, taste, presentation together with a relaxing ambience overall.
The Spa complex has it all, I spend time here whilst my husband reads his magazines in the comfortable lounge area.
It is almost impossible to select a member of staff superior to the others, but on our latest visit - Kyle (Spa trainer), Cheryl & Laura (reception), Ann & Heather (housekeeping) Martin & John (coffee bar) were particularly helpful to us. However, we think that ALL the Crown Spa staff are outstanding in their field. Thankyou for another happy & enjoyable visit, we'll be back soon as we can.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for such a positive review I am absolutely delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at The Crown and I speak on behalf of myself and the team when I say thank you so much for your comments.

All the staff mentioned along with many others are long time serving members of staff and always aim to please all of our customers, our goal is that you have a pleasurable stay and want to return.

It goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the staff; we endeavour to make our guests stay a pleasurable one. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2011

I was very pleased to be told that on my work trip, and 2nd visit ever, to Scarborough that I would be returning to the Crown Spa. I stayed previously last summer with a large group of colleagues. Then, I had been excited to find in my bedroom, a telescope and view of the city and, in the bathroom, pink disco lights and a monsoon shower! Biscuits and a complimentary turn down with chocolate on the pillow. What I remembered besides the perched sea view and proximity to town was the breakfast. Tasty fresh coffee and good selection of cereals and pastries. I was not disappointed on this visit and actually, even more impressed that I felt compelled to write a review. Not only were the staff super-friendly (and very tolerant and polite when dealing with the spoilt understudy from Vagina Monologues who was staying after a performance) and bar opened late again; at breakfast I was delighted to have an extensive gluten-free choice to eat (Im wheat intolerant)! Genius bread, all sorts of buns and cakes. It was the first time in years that I was able to eat toast guilt-free away from home. Marvellous. Comfy beds too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank you so much for such a positive review, it has been a pleasure to accommodate yourself and colleagues over the past three months. I am delighted that you were impressed with the crown and that you have once again returned.

The Crown is a great place to stop for business and pleasure and great reviews like this confirm that the team are providing a service that the customers enjoy.