“Lovely period hotel with superb modern spa facilities, magnificent location”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed 2 nights for 25th wedding anniversary (we're young tho!) period room 114 was HUGE! chesterfield 3 piece suite, dining table, twin double French windows onto little balcony looking out over the sea and across to the harbour (and a telescope!), champagne in the room with a lovely card from the hotel, peaceful and private and spacious, lovely. The real gem in this hotel is the spa, it's deceptively large running pretty much the length and breadth of the hotel in its lower level. Sympathetically Victorian tiled tho very modern it is spacious and well equipped,pool is lovely, jacuzzi is long and tiled.not just a modern moulded affair, excellent and varied modern fitness programme every day. The Espa suite is totally modern and the private mud rasul treatment and sauna and steam and relaxation rooms were beautiful ( tho not private enough to be nude as their store room is inside the entrance!!!) Staff lacked a little finesse for 4 star (which the hotel is), food was lovely, breakfast choices perfect and cooked to order as well as the buffet. ate in Taste and it was truly lovely meal for a special occasion. location, well, in 30 years of visiting Scarborough i never knew it had a posh side! Hotel is up the cliff above the Spa with zigzag paths down the cliff through gardens to the beach - perfect! (unless you have.mobility problems as its steep)

• Stayed: November 2011
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

May I first of all say thank you for a mostly positive review. I was a little disappointed that you felt the staff lacked a little finesse for four star as we do train to a very high standard and a great deal of emphasis is place in auditing this from the AA and visit Britain.

I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed in this hotel last year. I have been going to this hotel for the last 3 years. The hotel refurbishment has been amazing
The hotel is near the railway station so low taxi cost. If you are fit enough you could even walk to the hotel from the train station. Furthermore this hotel has the ideal position of being near the town but in a quiet location

If you get fed up of fish and chips, the hotel menus are extensive and reasonable. All the ladies in the house you need to try the cheese board with the lavender cheese and a large glass of the House White wine

The reception is is warm and welcoming. In the colder months there is a real log fire burning
The basement gym and spa areas are simple but beautiful

The only drawbacks are that the Hotel is on a cliff so you need to be fairly fit to walk up the hill. Car parking infront of the hotel is limited.
I travel via train so I don’t have the car parking problem

If you can book in advance the hotel web has some very god deals

The only reason why I didn’t stay in the hotel this year is that I had the opportunity to go to Barbados.

But I will be back

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank libby40EnglandUk

Thank you so much for such a positive review I am absolutely delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at The Crown and return on a regular basis. I speak on behalf of myself and the team when I say thank you so much for your comments.

It goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the staff; we endeavour to make our guests stay a pleasurable one. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed at the Crown Spa Hotel for the night before the Scarborough 10k race. Booked a single room which was very spacious, with a larger than normale single bed, full hot drinks facilities, flat screen TV, desk, and lovely large bathroom done to a very high standard.
Staff were friendly and helpful, arrangign a later check-out for me so I could shower and change after the race.
Very handy location, being just up the cliff from the start.
I ordered Continental breakfast which was more than adequate with a large selection of food, including an impressive array of Gluten free & pother specialist cereals and breads.
I love Scarborough and have been holidaying there all my life, I'm just a little disappointed it's taken me so long to find this gem!
Only down side was the noise from the corridor was a little loud, poeple in next room were very loud at 2:30am and doors tended to bang if not closed carefully. As my headboard was right by the room's door it disturned me a little.
Used the Spa facilities for free after checking out. Very nice, relaxing in the steam room. Only downside was it was a bit small but very nice to relax in after a hard run!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Thanks you for a great review I am delighted that you enjoyed the selection of special dietary items that we stock and do hope that did well in the 10k race.

If you do stay with us again and have disturbances from other rooms please don’t hesitate to call night concierge who I’m sure will do their best to resolve any the problem.

I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Me and my partner have just returned from a short break away at the crown. Firstly, booking with late rooms was an excellent decision because not only was the room excellent for a room only rate but we were also had a complimentary upgrade to a sea view room!
The room was very clean and the view outside was beautiful. The spa is great to relax in and included in the price which is excellent! The only downside is the hotel is a little out from the town but it does have a plus side as traffic noise is non existent. Would stay again and probably will! Perfect for a relaxing few days!

• Stayed: November 2011

Thanks you for a great review I am delighted that both the facilities were to your requirements and that you were happy with the complimentary upgrade.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Booked last minute but got nice family room at rear of hotel. Staff friendly and helpful. Pool and spa fantastic. Great location.

• Stayed: October 2011
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Thanks you for a great review I am delighted that both the staff and facilities were to your requirements

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Booked on line with agency but upgraded to a sea view room with the hotel. The room was excellent. King size comfortable bed, 32" LCD tv, plenty of tea and coffee with extra supplies and ice available in the corridors.

I thought the full english breakfast was better than adequate but not the best I've ever had. My wife and I dined in the restaurant. We ordered the rib eye; medium well (as we always do bercause of the extra marbelling normally found) the steak received was pinker than medium and looked like a sirloin. It was delicious though. A pleasant meal in relaxed surroundings with reasonable prices incl, the wine menu and attentive service.

My wife and daughter enjoyed a mum and daughter pamper session; mud facials and hot stones. They had never experieced one before and were a little apprehensive but were soon at ease and look forward to a repeat.

Car parking is tricky! This is a very busy area for hotels. There are parking restrictions on nealy all of the roads round about, when you can find a space. The hotel has limited privated parking at £6 per night. Easy access via the health club saves a long walk around the hotel...I found out!

All in all a very good break but not cheap!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

May I first off all say thank you for what is a mostly positive review and say how pleased I am that you were given a complimentary sea view upgrade.

I can assure you that the steak served in the restaurant was a rib eye but am a little disappointed that it was not cooked as requested but do know that the restaurant manager would have amended this had it been requested.

I do hope that you return to the Crown and that your wife and daughter can once again enjoy the relaxation of the spa. As always I will pass on your positive comments to the staff who will be delighted that you have had a good stay.

Kind regards,

David Chambers

Operations Manager

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I went with my daughter which is the last time we will be going away together befpre her marriage in Barbados next month. Had a lovely pampering in the spa followed by evening meal. Absolute bliss!!

Room Tip: Have a sea room view