“Lovely Scarborough” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely Scarborough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed here for a last minute getaway. We had our room upgraded to a sea view room as complimentary and were very pleased with the view. All staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely be going again

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, it is worth it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olaivas
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
May I first of all thank you for your positive feedback and say that I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Sometimes we are so busy that we forget how nice the Crown really is and reading you review has reminded me what a wonderful hotel we have the pleasure of running.

I will certainly pass on your comment to our team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon as a tourist.

David Chambers Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Just to say we had a lovely time over Christmas the service was great, food excellent, great views over the sea,
Hotel always clean
Staff helpfull and frendly

Room Tip: I have stayed a number of times best rooms 1st floor front although top floor good
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us, we're very proud of the hotel and feature rooms on the first floor and really do appreciate hearing the great comments made.

I do hope that you are able to join us again for Christmas or maybe sometime for a short break throughout the summer.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to all staff in the weekly management meeting.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed here last minute on cheapest rate just expecting a warm bed for the night in a lovely hotel (had already been to the hotel for a function once before) and was very pleasantly surprised. On checking in the staff were very friendly and helpful and as the hotel was pretty quiet we received a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse room which was lovely, nice bid bed, beautiful modern furnishings, TV in bath! We went down to the spa which was included in the rate and found it very relaxing and the people that were there were very friendly, everyone seemed to be having a good time. Went back to room and changed for evening, went down to bar for food not expecting anything fancy but ended up being a fantastic meal and we had a room to ourselves to eat it in, the barman/waiter was very friendly and chatted to me about the ingredients of the lovely meal I had. Went back to room to relax, hubby was still hungry so ordered room service (quite late by this time) and within minutes the food and drink was in our room nothing was too much trouble. Had a great nights sleep, breakfast in the room had the bakers basket, didnt have the same experience as someone else who mentioned it as we had lovely croissants, muffins, pain au chocolat, fruit pastries, yoghurts, cereal, toast, we couldnt even eat a lot of it there was so much. Absolute bargain for the £86 we paid and we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: We had a room facing away from the seafront so didnt have the view but it was very quiet which we li...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lawbird274
Delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us, we're very proud of the hotel and really do appreciate hearing the great comments made. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding both service and food to the team as they strive to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay, so they'll be pleased that their efforts don't go unnoticed.

As you have stated in your review there are some fantastic bargains to be had throughout the winter months and Scarborough and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

England, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I visited the Crown Spa with my husband as a Xmas treat for us both. We stayed on a Stay and Spa break and as such had a room, mud and fire and ice treatment, massage and continental breakfast. Our arrival was good, got there at 11am for access to the relaxation suite, the young woman in the spa was very welcoming and helpful-letting us leave our clothes in a treatment room when we found we did not have change for lockers.
We enjoyed our mud treatment and time in the relaxation suite, we then had a massage in a double treatment room and then decided to relax in our room. The room was spacious and the large bed was very comfortable, the view was lovely (our room was at the front of the hotel in between the pillars) the bathroom was large and well-equipped and the TV mounted on the wall in the main room was huge! Unfortunately the room was not very well sound treated as the noise from the rooms next door (through the adjoining doors) was enough to cause some degree of disturbance. We had afternoon tea with a glass of champagne in the bar area which I found to have too many mediocre cakes, and not enough sandwiches. We did not eat in the restaurant. For breakfast we chose the 'bakers basket' to be delivered to the room, which promised mixed rolls and preserves with pastries. But was in fact four damp, miniature muffins, and two croissants-the preserves were nice however.
All in all we did enjoy our stay, however at almost £300 I was very disappointed in the quality of breakfast (we would have had to have paid another £5+ each for cooked breakfast in the restaurant-I think that this should have been included in the room package) and in the high levels of noise coming through from the other rooms (whose occupants were not in reality being excessively noisy) I was also a little surprised to find an old-looking rolled up pair of socks in the bottom of the bedside cabinet when I bent down to retrieve something from the floor! I did write all of these comments on the feedback card which was in the room, and I left this on the reception desk (the box for the comments cards being absent) but there was no feedback from the manager despite my leaving my email address.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel enjoy good views of the coast.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travellingManc_8
May I first of all apologise for the inconveniences that you experienced during your recent visit, we do our best to satisfy the needs of all our customers and I do feel disappointed when things are not quite to our customers’ requirements. I do wish that the issues mentioned in your review had been brought to my attention during your stay as I can assure you they would have been resolved.

I do hope that you will choose the Crown as your hotel of choice if you do return to Scarborough.

West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

i have stayed at the Crown Spa on business for 2 years in all seasons and from an overnight hop to a 4 night stay at Christmas and it always the same - perfect.
Sea view rooms are spectacular with floor to celing picture windows framing the North Sea and the early morning sunrise. I My room had a telescope !! Not all rooms have a sea view but that really doesn't matter as the standard of the rooms and furnishings make up for not looking at the sea.
every bathroom is finished with low leve lighting, great huge showers and the softest of white towels and bath robes you will ever come across.
the room rate also include use of the on site Spa. A great way to realx and unwind and i would strongly recomend booking in for a full body massage.. it was wonderful.

The food at the Crown Spa is very good, i havent eaten in the restaurant, but the bar food menu is extensive enough and the food is always fresh and hot out of the kitchen to my table. Their seafood pizza is fantatsic. Breakfasts are a real feast so leave yourself plenty of time to enjoy the service and great cjhoices. In winter the log fire is always lit and very welcomimg after a walk on the 5* beach or a stroll around the well planted cliff gardens which are just a minute from the hotel.

I love this hotel and if you book a stay in advance through their website you do get fantatsic deals.

Car Parking is an issue. The hotel do have a carpark but you are charged by the day to use it - it was £5.00 in December. The other option is street parking, which the hotel do supply complementary parking vouchers, but be prpared to walk some distance with your luggage.

The hotel is definatley cosmopoitaion and suited to all ages, and unlike most of the other hotels in Scarbotough its not full of coach parties!!

i'll be back in April.

Room Tip: book online and you can be upgraded for free.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a positive review I am delighted that both the staff and facilities were to your requirements, nothing pleases us more than when a customer leaves the Crown both happy and relaxed and wanting to return.

I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our team at our next management meeting and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in April.

Isle of Man United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

There is no pleasing some reviewers is there? Hot plates, cold plates, duo instead of band etc, thats cruise ship review material and not what one expects for a New Year hotel break when you are suppose to be relaxing, lighten up and enjoy life.
We spent 5 nights, over the New Year, at this excellent hotel and enjoyed every minute of it. The 'Gala Dinner Dance' was great and would not have been more enjoyable with a band because the 'duo' provided great entertainment, that was why the floor was packed most of the time.
The hotel has a lovely warm feeling from the moment you come through the door, The staff throughout were helpful, always smiling and pleasant .It was a treat to be there.
We have brought in New Years in many 4+5 star hotels throughout the country, including Scotland, However this is the first that we are thinking about returning another year., We spoke to a number of people who had returned for 2+3 years. Can't say better then that.
We might even pop back to see the area in the summer.

Room Tip: It is worth paying that little extra for a room with sea view
1 Thank Travellers084
May I first of all thank you for your positive feedback and say that I am delighted you enjoyed your New Year’s break at the Crown, I’m not often lost for words but think that you’ve summed up everything I’d like to say about the Crown. We do have a lot of returning customers especially over the festive period and I do know that the package we provide has something for everyone.

I will certainly pass on your positive thoughts to our team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

What a fabulous Christmas present we got this year-an over night stay at one of the best hotels in Scarborough. Wonderful reception (we felt like royalty) and excellent customer service. Professional, friendly staff and smart too! (The lady who cleaned our room looked like an air hostess) The location of the hotel is wonderful and the ambience is superb. We were impressed by the gym and even managed to get an excellent massage at short notice. We won't hesitate to visit this lovely hotel again. Many thanks to the staff at the Crown and we hope to see them again very soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks you for a great review I am delighted that both the staff and facilities were to your requirements, nothing pleases us more than when a customer leaves the Crown both happy and relaxed

I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our team at our next management meeting and we very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon or even next Christmas.