“The best hotel in scarborough”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Just returned from our second stay at the crown spa, it is just a beautiful hotel and for the price you pay I don't think you can get any better. Great leisure facilities, pool is small but the jacuzzi is huge. Reception staff are lovely and breakfast is great. Cannot fault it and I am someone who finds faults.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Delighted to hear that you once again had a wonderful stay with us, nothing pleases me more than when a customer returns and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon. Please do keep looking for faults and please bring anything that isn’t right to my attention, we are here to make all of our customers stay a pleasurable one and we will not rest until this is the case.

Once again thank you for a wonderful review.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have been to this hotel on a number of occasions and have just returned again. It was as good as usual and the staff as friendly as ever. It is a little oasis of calm and nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank no_messing

Delighted to hear that you once again had a wonderful stay with us, we're very proud of the hotel and really do appreciate hearing the great comments made. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding both service and food to the team as they strive to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay, so they'll be pleased that their efforts don't go unnoticed.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Beware of the hidden extras. The 'free' car parking cost us £6 per night to park on the hotel car park. There is free parking on the road outside if you can find a space within half a mile. Breakfast cost an extra £15 per person which we paid when we checked in, only to be embarrassed the following morning by the gatekeeper to the restaurant who informed us in front of other guests that we had not paid. Fortunately we had the receipt but as it was a receipt for the cost of 4 breakfasts and there were only 2 of us he was not prepared to accept it and insisted on checking first with reception. The fact that we were staying for 2 nights seemed beyond his ability to calculate. The room was fine but the carpets in some of the corridors would have benefitted from cleaning. Sauna and Steam Room were fine but Aroma Room was not working. Showers were some distance from Sauna and Steam Room. Swimming pool could have been larger or should I say that it could not have been much smaller.

Room Tip: Choose one at a hotel which understands the meaning of Customer Service
4  Thank Barry L

May I first of all say how disappointed I am that your stay was not an enjoyable one. With regards to the parking around the hotel there are approximately 200 spaces within two minute’s walk both in front and to the rear of the hotel. The parking in the car park isn’t a hidden extra and is advertised at £6 per night on various websites and in the hotel.

When you made your reservation through expedia the reservation was on a room only basis, this was pointed out to you on arrival and I understand that you believed you had booked on a bed and breakfast rate. Reception have now told me that you did indeed pay for breakfast on check in but the rate that came through from expedia wasn’t able to be changed and our mistake was in that the reception staff didn’t inform the restaurant manager that you had booked breakfast, I am extremely sorry that you felt embarrassed with regards to this and procedures have been put into place so that this doesn’t occur again. The restaurant manager unfortunately was only following company procedure.

We approximately have 40,000 customers pass through the hotel along with 1400 health club members and only on the odd occasion do I receive comments regarding the size of the pool, I admit it isn’t an Olympic size pool but it normally fits the requirements of most guests.

I would recommend that any customer wanting to make a reservation on a bed and breakfast rate contact the hotel directly. Once again I am sorry for the inconveniences experienced and can assure future guests that this will not happen again.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed over for one night midweek in what i would describe low season, first of all we got into the hotel met by an enthusiastic receptionist, who asfter taking all our details gave us two room keys and a full explanation of everthing we had booked and a letter stating all of the facilities available, she then informed us that we had been upgraded to a penthouse room :D which was very nice, they seem to have a policy on this. the cost of the room was good ~£110 with £30 meal allowance and £20 breakfast allowance plus use of the "basic" spa facilities (swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and automatic foot spa's)

on the second day we went out the hotel is close to the beach... close enough to walk down too and then if you want to get the small shuttle bus up and down the seafront its great.

The food was very nice in both sides of the restaurant both the a la Carte menu and the "lite bites" menu breakfast was pretty much what it is on the tin breakfast decent selection of pastries toat jams and a full english if you want to pay £5 pp extra on top of your £10 pp allowance which was good.

also we took a trip down to the spa and had a razuul mud treatment with fire and ice after (sauna/steam and what i can a say a fridge with a shower in it) which was excellent and very reasonable @£55 wheras other places we have paid £80+ for the same treatment without the very well kept and designed room that is very comfortable and private. they also fitted us in at very short notice and were extremely flexible as we had alot on and didnt know when we would be available to arrive.

altogether an extremely relaxing weekend and will definately be going back again sometime soon as it was probably the best hotel for relaxing i have been to.

Room Tip: Penthouse floor and dont witter if you dont book a seaview room... you probably wont get one if you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and I’m delighted that it seems you found a real bargain. Nothing pleases myself and the staff more than when a customer leaves the Crown in a positive frame of mind and wanting to tell everyone about us.

I will pass on your positive comments to all staff and management who I know will be delighted we have another satisfied customer.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

It was a good stay and the staff were great but a few annoying things.

OK not major but the TV was a nightmare and to be honest too big which is not mornally the case.

The biggest complaint is that due to flexibility of the hotel to use the rooms they do (as many hotels) join twin beds to make king size ones. Annoying as it forms a ridge down the centre and in this case it was not comfortable.

The breakfast was good and service was great but it was overpriced for what you get.

Free wifi that worked was good and welcomed.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

May I first of all say how disappointed I am you feel the hotel needs to improve? We constantly request and embrace customer feedback and always feel disappointed when such small issues spoil a customer’s stay.

Yours is the first review that has ever stated the television was too big which leaves me in a position of believing this has not been an issue to other customers. We have over the last couple of weeks had one or two issues with the televisions which have since been remedied by the engineer who noted that the frequency and strength of the signal in the area had been changed which meant a little tweaking at this end brought all televisions back to normal.

As with the beds you are on the right track with how hotels turn rooms from a double to a twin. The beds are an industry standard and are called zip and links in our case they are almost permanently zipped together and occasionally pulled apart at customers request.

I do hope that these minor issues wont stop you from returning to the Crown and that you feel we have improved, I would also ask that yourself and any customers that may have issues whilst staying with us however small that you speak to us during your stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Was dissapointed with the Crown Spa Hotel, not 4 star in my opinion. The reception was good, room although they said had upgraded us to superior wasnt that good.

The spa including swimming pool was excelent.

The restaurant was poor. When we checked in I booked a table for 6, I was shown the restaurants as there were 3 areas, I chose the area, when we actually went down to the table was told by the head man that he had to set us a table up in the tv room as overbooked. We had our dinner which was very expensive in a very small TV lounge with Football on full blast!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paulinebrown186408

May I first of all say how disappointed I am that your stay was not an enjoyable one, if possible could you forward me the date of your stay and the name the reservation was under to davidchambers@crownspahotel.com.

We always aim to please all of our customers and in cases where this doesn’t seem to happen I always make sure that it is investigated so that customers can receive the four star service that they deserve.

Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

First time I went away for a spa weekend and it won't be the last, tried a mud rasul with my girlfriend which was included in our package, then enjoyed a few cycles of the fire and ice experience steam and ice room before retiring to the chill out room thoroughly relaxed and feeling a million miles away from the stress of work, 3 times a year for me from now on

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank HappyZac

Thanks for a great review and please do come back soon, customers always feel that the batteries have been recharged after the treatments.