“Not as luxurious as it once was”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed 2 nights 23rd sept to the 25th sept
Was a birthday treat, first impressions were lovely, lavish entrance, and staff well appointed.

Positives
Location
Friendliness’ of the staff, bar staff the most
Bathroom, lovely, good sized bath, and well decorated
Free use of umbrella’s (we needed them)

Negatives
Hotel parking £6 per day or free on the road if spaces are available
No English breakfast
Terrible route through hotel from hotel car park. Park at front and drop bags off there.
hallways need a deep carpet clean.
Beds poorly made, valance missing off one side

Room Tip: make sure you get a seaview room, otherwise your at the back of the hotel and the is terrible
1  Thank Mark1971lawrence
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am a little confused that you feel the hotel is not as luxurious as it once was. We have always tried to improve the hotel and many guests do comment that the hotel just keeps getting better, I am sorry that you didn’t feel the same and do wish that you had asked to speak to me during your stay.

Once again thank you for your comments that I can assure you we take on board to enable us to provide a better service for future customers

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Throughly enjoyed our stay at The Crown Spa over the weekend. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, sorted out parking my car and arranged for our bags to be taken to the room so we could head straight out. The room was great and well apppointed. We did not have a sea view as we were at the back of the hotel but this was fine for us. I am not complaining but the room was very very warm, however, I opened the room window and the bathroom window and once the sun dropped it soon cooled down. I used the bar in the evening and enjoyed rapid service. The continental breakfast was superb and once again the guy that showed us to our seats was helpful and explained everything clearly. We will almost certainly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review and must say that I am delighted that you would be happy to return to the Crown.

I will certainly pass on your kind words to our team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Having just spent 3 fantastic nights at this hotel, it seems only right that good comments should be added to this website. I can't understand the comments that give this hotel a bad write up - in fact,I was quite concerned so I emailed the hotel who then assured me that we would have a great stay - and they were 100% correct !
No member of staff was unpleasant -they were all friendly, helpful and polite. The room was incredibly clean, bed was comfy and the hospitality tray was just perfect after a full day sightseeing. The bar,'light bites' and main dinner menu were not excessively priced (in fact, I'd recommend eating in the restaurant). Unfortunately, we didn't have time to use the Spa/Pool facilities although we did view them - but they looked clean and inviting.
As for some of the negative reviews - car parking was one - it says in the guest book in the room to ask for a token so no idea why people have complained about paying for car parking. About the room - again, in the guest book, it says to contact staff for ANY problem/fault so that they can rectify this. Another negative one was about the tea/coffee facilities in the room - no idea why !!!
I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone else and we WILL be coming back. The special touch of leaving a box of chocolates / card in the room for my husband's Birthday was also a thoughtful gesture.
The only tiny thing was that I thought the price of breakfast a little dear considering everything else is so reasonable. Maybe if the price was halved, more people would take up the offer ? Not a complaint - more of an observation,really.
All in all - a 10 out of 10 mini break.....book and see for yourself !

Room Tip: No tip - our room (553) was just perfect !!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you positive review and I do hope that many future customers read it and make the choice to stay at the Crown. I was comfortable assuring you as I am all customers that we do provide great service in a lovely hotel for a fair price. Unfortunately there are occasions where we are asked for complimentary products and free upgrades that are not possible to give and are often punished with unreasonable reviews that often aren’t a true representation of the Hotel

Reviewed 23 September 2012

A perfect few days in this delightful hotel. Fabulous room on the top floor with the most up to date
faclities we have ever seen - even a tv in the bathroom. The room was very clean and serviced well each day by the friendly housekeeping staff. The position off the hotel for us was ideal just above the spa complex and the views are magnificent over the sea. We found the meals to be a good standard and the breakfast very good indeed with lots of choice. The serving staff were perhaps a little cool and not making much effort to speak to the guests other than the required questions on arrival. They were all curteous and well trained. The aqua facilites and spa were superb and we spent lots of time in the pleasant areas where we made new friends. It was very relaxing and welcoming. We could see that the hotel is making all efforts to keep on top of any work that needs attending to such as painting and this is very important to keep standards as high as possible as this hotel is the only one of its standard in the area.

Room Tip: Top floor is excellent but more expensive.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Your visit was during an extremely busy period and on occasion staff may have seemed a little cold, this was probably due to dealing with lots of customers at the same time but I am delighted that you found them to be courteous.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Crown (16 family members) celebrating a retirement. The most senior member of the family has mobility problems and the help and attention she received just made her weekend. On arrival we discovered a vital screw was missing from her travelator (this is an essential aid to her mobility) within minutes a maintenace guy had been called and within 5 minutes he had supplied and fitted an alternative screw.

Grab rails and support rails were then supplied and fitted in her bedroom to ensure her comfort and safety - wonderful!

On booking I asked about the possibility of a private dining room and this was arranged immediately at no extra cost. The service we received was excellent. When a member of the group asked if a "little something extra" could be done to the room on Saturday evening as we were celebrating a retirement and this was immediately arranged. A beautiful table setting and decorations greeted us on our arrival for dinner -again service with a smile and attention to detail.

The hotel itself is in a lovely position in Scarborough - the rooms and hotel facilities were all first class and the service excellent. We would not hesitate in recommending the Crown - we ourselves look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

First of all I would like to wish the retiree a long and healthy retirement. I am delighted that everyone in the group had a wonderful and that the staff did everything we could to make it a memorable occasion. What is more important is that all 16 new customers may want to stay at the Crown with us again in the future.

We do feel that we provide a great service and if all customers could take time to ask or point out if they have an issue we guarantee we will do our best to please.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

In my opinion this is not a 4 star hotel. Looks like 4 star when you pull up outside and in the reception/lounge area. Service, cleanliness, quality of room 104 and quality of breakfast changed our opinion. Booked in at 3.30pm on 9/9/12, on entering room 104 it was still being cleaned so we sat on the balcony until it was finished. Went to the bathroom and found hair in the bath and sink, soap scum on chrome controls of shower and on sink, stains on underneath area of toilet seat. Thick dust on skirting boards around toilet and sink, very disappointed. After having a shower that evening the bathroom floor flooded from side of bath near the toilet, when we looked at the side of the bath we could see this had been happening for some time as a large area of the skirting board was black and mouldy and the wood was broken and lifting away from the wall. After our meal in the restaurant which was decent we complained about our room and were offered to move to room 120 (really nice room) in the morning. During the night I had only 3 hours sleep as room 104 is directly above the bar area. Night staff used this area all night, making coffee (loud banging from the coffee machine) and moving the chairs around on the wooden floor. Breakfast was terrible, did not have the cooked breakfast but had the included continental breakfast. All products appeared to be sourced from supermarkets with little variety from day to day. Tesco mini muffins on second day of breakfast were hard obviously left from day before. Flies were on the small unappetising amount of cheese and ham that was available. Fruit selection included tinned mandarins and frozen berries.. Did not have a milk jug on our table and asked the waiter for one, he simply passed over the jug from the table next to us which had just become vacant and plonked it on our table with only a drop of milk left in the jug. In the evening we tried to have a relaxing drink in the lounge near the bar but had to contend with loud thudding noise and the floor vibrating. On checking downstairs we saw there was a circuit training class in the spa, thought it might stop at 7.00pm but this was followed by another class and so the noise continued. Spoke to reception, she said at first she couldn't hear anything, but I asked her to listen carefully and she then said she would phone the class and ask them to turn it down but there was no change. Left a day early as we had booked this hotel for a relaxing break. It was anything but relaxing Spoke to management regarding our stay and they refunded the first night and the night we would not be staying (we had paid in advance) and offered us a complementary upgrade if we returned again, which we will not be doing. Management also said they would stop staff using the bar area all evening. I also mentioned the quality of breakfast and she said they would put covers over the cheese and ham. If booking a feature room with balcony make sure bathroom in room 104 has been corrected to get rid of flooding and mould as we noticed it was rented out again the same day we moved out and also ensure staff do not use bar area all evening as the noise will cause disturbance. Fortunately the weather was cooler after our first night so the heat wasn't too much of an issue but can understand earlier comments on Tripadvisor regarding this.

Room Tip: Avoid feature room 104. Room 120 is really nice
4  Thank Christine M

May I first of all say how disappointed I am that you will not be returning to the Crown. I am a little confused that some of the items you have listed in the review were not mentioned when we were sorting out your room move, all that was logged was the issue with the bath. On inspection of the bath which Is a freestanding roll top and has an overhead shower, we have noticed that customers have been careless and water has been running over onto a skirting board that isn’t easily visible this has now been amended and hopefully this will be prevented in the future.

Your stay was over an extremely busy period and the bar was extremely busy, we have always attempted to close the bar by 11.30pm with table service in the lounge thereafter. I am pleased that room 120 was more to your liking and sorry for the inconveniences that these issues caused.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

My husband and myself recently stayed for 2 nights midweek on a room only basis. Although we didn't get a sea view room (we didn't pay for one). The room was small but delightfully furnished with top quality bedding. The bed was one of the most comfortable we'v'e ever slept in. The mood lighting in the bathroom was lovely and took at least a stone of me! We used the Spa facilities and they were top class, very relaxing.

We found all the staff very courteous and professional.

The hotel is a short walk into the town centre. We had a full English breakfast at a little place called The Conservatory £7.85 for us both including te and coffee, it was fresh, delicious and it filled us until the evening. The hotel were charging £14.95 per person which we considered a little steep.

The weather was good which is always a bonus but Scarborough is a lovely place and we hope to visit again soon. We will definitely consider The Crown Spa but would maybe consider a room with a sea view as they looked fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Crown and do hope that you will return in the not too distant future as nothing pleases us more than seeing our customers return.

I will pass on your positive comments to both the staff and management who I know will be delighted.