“Amazing”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Visited for two nights.re our wedding anniversary.planned to eat out both nights.but with the bad weather decided to eat in the hotel restaurant.glad we did.food excellent.reasonably priced,our room had a balcony sea view.excellent spot.room beautifully furnished.all staff from reception through to bar and restaurant staff.and breakfast staff.not forgetting very helpful cleaning room staff.every one so friendly.made our stay.memorable.many thanks. Will be back again this year.

Room Tip: Choose sea view with balcony worth the price dif
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tce91
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you for such a positive review I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to seeing you return to the Crown. I will certainly pass on your kind words to the management and team at our next management meeting.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Polish first
whitby uk
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We only live down the coast, so come quite frequently. We have had our honeymoon here and every anniversary. The staff are all well trained polite and help full, The hotel facilities are fantastic and I can'tt really fault anyone thing, my only minor complaint is that I contacted the hotel to explain about our anniversary etc thinking they might chuck a bottle of wine in the room or something. Its not something I have done before but I assumed the hotel would be all over it. and felt that as a returning customer we were worth the £5-£8 cost They replied asking how much i wanted to spend. So I went to the shops and chose a nice one my self. Again this is a minor niggle and I haven't marked them down for not giving me something for free. But our hobby is staying in high end hotels and I'm pretty sure others would of jumped at
The chance to show off a bit. We will return again and its great that this area has a high standard hotel. I feel that if they had a bit of competition it would defiantly improve things. But I am being picky and encourage everyone to stay here.

Well done crown spa

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for a mostly positive review. Besides our corporate customers a lot of our other customers are normally here on a special occasion and do often request something for free, whilst we are not able to stretch to a bottle of wine we often give a card and a box of chocolates. It appears that on this occasion we didn’t carry out the procedure and I can only assume this is because we have a few new members of staff on reception who may not have received the correct training at this stage.

I do hope that a future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown as nothing pleases us more than returning guests. I will certainly pass on your kind words to the management and team at our next management meeting.

Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

This hotel has superb views and is in a great location on the Esplanade. That's why we booked as well as having discovered it has been recently refurbished. The decor is nice and modern and our room, although small, was very well furnished. There were just a few finishing touches needed in terms of service to give it the shine it needed to match the location and interiors.

• Stayed October 2012
I am a little disappointed that you feel the hotel was let down by finishing touches I do wish that you had brought these to our attention during your stay or through this forum so we could have the opportunity to put them right.

manchester
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a very cold weekend in January and loved it. OK, it's an old building but that is part of it's charm. It's not a bland, chain hotel. It has character, as do the staff who went out of their way to make us welcome and happily moved us to a different room after a minor fault was discovered in ours(they also would have happily fixed the issue there and then but gave us the option of a room change if we wanted). The room was fantastic, spacious with French windows and the bathroom lighting is fun! The hotel had lots of interesting features(ask them about the clocks on reception) and the food was good. Seaview was excellent. Shame it was snowy as there seemed to be mini telescopes in most(all?) of the rooms. I enjoyed our stay so much that I was planning our return as we were driving home! It's not modern features that make a good hotel, it's the service you get and this place has great staff.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank whoiarent
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review, nothing delights me more than reading the heading A proper Hotel.

We always strive to resolve any issues our customers bring to us however small they may be.

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We booked the romance package and were looking forward to an amazing weekend away.
Unfortunatley there were a few things that weren't quite what we expected.

The receptionist on check in was unhelpful - we wanted to know what time our spa treatments were booked for and we were told to walk tdown to the spa and check as she couldnt help - surely she could have called them for us??

The room was nice but unfortunatley we had two single mattresses pushed together - not ideal for a romance package!! There was no sugar on the drinks tray and only a sheet on the bed. A quick call to reception solved this.

We had a beautiful chandelier in our room - unfortunately it shook noisily everytime the people in the room above us moved :-(

The iron in the room was damaged an leaked water when you tried to use it.

My boyfreind ordered flowers as an extra - these were never delivered - apparently the florist didn't have time but no one thought to tell us.

Our Spa treatments were fantastic :-) the rasul mud treatment was out of this world!!

We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant that night - we booked for 8 oclock, unfortunately so did a family who thought it was acceptable for their young child to ride a scooter around the restaurant, followed by changing their child into her pj's in full view of the whole restaurant!! again not exactly what I wanted to see whilst trying to enjoy a romatic break.

Then to top it all off we were suprised to be charged £3.60 for Guiness - this price would have been fine for a pint of draught - but it was served straight from the can!!

All in all the hotel is beautiful, the location is perfect and the views are to die for, but we felt that the service wasn't what we expect from a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Room 104 is noisy - over head noise from the room above
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luluboo77
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
May I first of all say I am very disappointed that you are slightly disappointed. It appears that numerous issues that could have easily have been resolved were not resolved and these have led to a review that could quite easily have been positive. I have since spoken to the heads of department to ensure that issues of this type do no re-occur.

With regards to the Guinness, the can you refer to is a surger and Guinness claim that the product is as good as draftbelow is the instructions from the Guinness website

Firstly, the same Guinness is used in the can as you get from a keg. This is then canned to seal in the freshness from Dublin.

The Guinness is poured from the can carefully and slowly into a pint size tulip beer glass (preferrably a Guinness branded one!). A few drops of water are placed onto the silver plate of the Surger unit, and the glass is then placed on the plate.

Press the "Surger" button, and then watch as the Surger unit activates the gases already in the Guinness beer, creating the famous surge and settle in the same way as a normal draught font would work. And as if by magic you have your perfect serve of Draught Guinness, every time !!

I do hope that this clears up the misconception with regards to the Guinness and hope that any visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown.

Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Went to The Crown Spa Hotel for a weekend in January and once again the service and hospitality were first class. Have visited the hotel on numerous occasions over the last five years and have found the restaurant to be ok, but not always good. We felt that it was a bit hit and miss. I am pleased to report that we found the choice of food offered to be improved and the taste and presentation were both excellent. The buffet breakfast was much better in terms of choice and quality too, with a good selection for vegetarians. A most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We normally opt for a sea view but this time had a standard room overlooking the back of the hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 395Jean
Thank you for a lovely review, I am delighted that you had a lovely break. We are confident that any future customers will read past some of the negative comments posted on this site and take a trip to the Crown to see that we really do offer great service.

North Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

This is our third stay at the Crown Spa, having stayed in a modern Penthouse room and rooms with balconies; it is definitely worth paying the extra for a sea view. We enjoyed sitting in the bar area last night beside the large log burner. The spa area, though small, is beautifully decorated and well equipped with saunas and a steam room, pool and jacuzzi. The staff are very friendly and we enjoy the warm atmosphere this period hotel offers.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank w0bblylegs
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you very much for such a positive review, nothing pleases me and the staff more than when guests return and again have an enjoyable stay.