“crown spa”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 7 January 2014

stayed for 5 day christmas break had a lovely time lovely sea view room only complaint my wife broke her tooth on one of the starters of pigeon the lead pellet was still in the pigeon i think it should be mentioned on the menu before ordering i mentioned this to the staff ps it cost my wife £100 .00 to replace the crown

Room Tip: have a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review I am extremely sorry that the shot in the pigeon has caused damage to your wives tooth, we do have a note at the bottom of our main menu but on the menu used over Christmas this was unfortunately omitted. If you would like to discuss this further please call the hotel and ask to speak to me personally.

David Chambers / Operations manager

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Having been to the Crown 5 times in the last 4 years , including our honeymoon , I really looked forward to our xmas vacation again . Obviously I love the hotel and the staff are great so I decided to book 2 rooms for me and the wife and some close relations .

Now given we had been in sea view before I went for the "superior sea view " this time and an average room for our relations . We were so disappointed with our room . Yes you had a sea view but the tv could only be seen properly from 25% of the room ( it needs to swivel ) . There was no tv in the bathroom which is commonplace in most rooms that are far less expensive . Also our relations had a "walk in " wardrobe and ours was just "bog standard".

I paid approx. £200 more for this room compared to what I paid for our relations for a 4day stay . Its not about money really but getting value for money .
I raised my concerns at "checkout" and I've been in touch with the hotel as well .

Love the hotel but steer clear of room 308 - Its not good value in my opinion

Room Tip: Try and see the room you are booking
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. I am always disappointed when any of our customers are disappointed and it appears that on this occasion this was the case. I have looked on our property management system and can see that your guests were in room 125 this is one of four rooms that has an outlook onto some adjoining properties which were never great views so we renovated these rooms so that they were in the style of the executive rooms and had the added feature of a television in the bathroom, 30 of our 115 rooms have televisions in the bathroom and prices do vary.

I do hope that you will return in the future and point out the room that you would prefer. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we do read all reviews and respond and use the information to help us improve the hotel for future guests.

David Chambers / Operations manager

Reviewed 6 January 2014

booked for 3 night from 2nd January, was not disappointed, we had a sea view room which was well kept, very clean throughout the hotel, nice spa complex, staff very good, did not have breakfast as was too expensive even for me, did not try the food in the restaurant but was always full and the food looked good, would we go back definitely, would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: running water could be herd in 214 every time someone washed next door, also think their was a waste...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. I am always delighted when a customer has had an enjoyable stay. We do offer a lighter option for breakfast and this starts at around £4.95

I will pass on your positive comments to both staff and management who I know will be pleased we have another satisfied customer.

Once again thank to for taking the time to leave a review as we do read and respond to all reviews to enable us to improve our service for future guests.

Kind regards

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is my second stay at The Crown Spa.

We booked a sea view mini suite via booking.com paying £274 for two adults and one child for two nights.

Our room was fabulous a bedroom with a separate living room with sofa bed, so ideal for a family. Both rooms had a TV. Bathroom very well appointed. The view from the room was stunning, and worth paying extra for.

A bottle of Sparkling wine was included in the room, which should probably be considered a nice touch, but as neither of us drink wine it was wasted on us, would just prefer a tenner off the bill to be honest!

All the staff were very friendly and polite.

Breakfast is a bit disappointing. The continental breakfast included in the price is ok, but for the price paid I would really expect full english breakfast included. It is offered, but at extra cost. On the first day of our stay sausages were available on the cold breakfast, but there was no hot option at all on the second day.

The spa is lovely and clean. The pool and spa pool were both far too cold, which did spoil our enjoyment of the facilities somewhat. The pool was very old last time I stayed here two years ago, so maybe this is a residual problem at The Crown Spa.

Children are limited to the times the can use the pool, between 8am - 1030am and 3pm to 6pm. This isn't advertised when you book, so I think some children will end up disappointed.

Room Tip: We were in room 320 - ideal for families as had two separate bedrooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sara30

Thank you for taking the time to leave a mostly positive review. I am always delighted when a customer has had an enjoyable stay. I do wish that you had brought the issue with the wine to our attention as I would have been more than happy to have discounted the bill with the return of the wine as the price of the wine is added into the package rate.

Kind regards

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here recently on business had a complimentary upgrade to exec room. This room had large 32inch tv and a tv over the bath, Fridge, telescope also in room. Hotel must of recently had refurb as was all new and immaculate throughout. If staying you get a parking permit to park on street but get there early should you want a space but plenty options around. Room was warm and clean and very happy with facilities if back in Scarborough this is the only place I would stay. However if you are going on foot via train and no car its a little bit of a walk from the station so wroth a taxi from station if you have luggage etc. So check maps.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
crownspahotel, Customer Services at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review.

We have a semi-secure car park at the back of the hotel which has limited spaces. We can guarantee you one of these spaces at a charge of £6.00 per night. This price will alter slightly during our on-peak times of the year. Simply call the hotel to add a car park space to your reservation.

We are happy you found use of the TV over the bath, fridge and telescope. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to the hotel. I shall pass on your kind comments to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, your feedback is important and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Myself and my partner stayed on new years eve for one night. on arrival nice receptionist who checked us in and informed us we had a free upgrade to the executive floor. we was very pleased. When we arrived into the room (501) it was very spacious although not a sea view as we requested but this did not bother us. also a TV in bathroom, with mood lighting and bed was big. staff could not do enough for to help. we tried the spa facilities out too whilst we there. Just a few points to note:

Bedroom was very hot and stuffy luckily there was the fan above the bed which kept us cool whilst sleeping ( not too much of a problem)
Jacuzzi temperature was not warm enough it was very luke warm( not sure what the problem was but it was still nice and relaxing!)

TV in bedroom part was not situated very well if you wanted to watch TV in bed( this could have been better thought out)

All in all we had a pleasant stay and the atmosphere and staff really add to the place. we will definately be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review.

We are happy on this occasion you received a complimentary upgrade, however if in the future you would like to guarantee a sea view please ensure to book a room which states it includes a sea view. Requests are always taken into great consideration but unfortunately cannot be guaranteed.

May I ask in the future, if you experience that of a cold Jacuzzi, please do bring it to our attention at the time of your stay. This enables us to investigate the temperature and resolve any issues with immediate effect.

We have taken all of your comments into consideration and want to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, your feedback is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests. I shall pass your kind comments on to the management and staff at The Crown Spa Hotel.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked the Crown Spa for a small break in the Christmas holidays after finding it online and were more than pleased with it. My Grandma passed away earlier in the year and left me a little bit of money. As we were looking to have a night away in a nice hotel, and my Grandma only ever went to Scarborough, it seemed fitting to go there. We paid a little extra for one of the executive rooms on the top floor.. and were really pleased. Nicely done out.. huge comfy bed.. luxury bathroom (with TV).. spacious with a fantastic view of the sea and Scarborough below.
The staff, to a man/woman, were superb, friendly and helpful. The meal we had on Sunday night was, although a bit pricey (for what it was), very nice and the menu had choice for everyone's tastes I would say.
Continental Breakfast in our room the next day was HUGE.. all nicely presented.
Overall no complaints.. though I would suggest booking a hotel parking space as you're going to have to be lucky to get a space on the road round and about.. it's only £6 per day/night.
AND I got to shake hands with the legendary Dickie Bird in reception in the morning.. though I think he was visiting rather than a permanent feature.
Though I paid for an expensive room, I can only think the really negative reviews on here have been made about another hotel in error.. or was just a bad day at the office.

Room Tip: Try and grab a sea view room.. the executive rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review.