“Well up to the usual standards” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crown Spa Hotel

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Well up to the usual standards”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

My partner Aileen and I have just returned from the Crown Spa again and as ever it lived up to expectations.
Greeted warmly on arrival we were given Room 106 on the first floor(a nice surprise!) The room was very spacious, had a sea view and a small balcony. And as it had a nice big sofa it was very easy to relax and read or watch a bit of TV.
One of the great things about the Crown Spa is the staff. Always friendly,chatty and helpful they are a credit to the Management and certainly enhance the stay.
The food was the usual high standard. Freshly cooked and tasty and a wide choice on the menu.
And it is easy to while away some time in the Spa. Enjoy a swim or sauna. It can get busy but there are plenty of quieter times.
We are never disappointed at this hotel.It is easy to relax and unwind here and there are plenty of things to see and do locally.
Looking forward to the next visit!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room. Well worth it
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that yourself and partner Aileen have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you continue to return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. As valued customers you are always our number one priority and wish to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is of great importance to us. Please ensure that you book through our direct website or over the telephone as you benefit from the advantage offer, including 10% discount from your food, spa treatments, laundry, unlimited wifi and a late check out time of noon.

Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We did not like the room we were given initially but must praise reception staff for offering two other options in a friendly and patient way. That sorted, our new room was a very good size, was modern and pleasantly decorated and had a really nice bathroom with rain shower. Nice tea and coffee facilities were supplied. Cleanliness was good for a British hotel as we've had issues with this in the past. We ate in the hotel on both nights and while a bit expensive (alcohol, more so) the food was surprisingly good. I had a delicious steak, and deserts were lovely. Service was good too, with friendly staff. Breakfast was reasonable ... we had the continental which was good value. However, when food ran out .. such as crusty,bread, boiled eggs ... no one replaced these, even though they ran out early in the breakfast service. And the breakfast area was quite cramped although not busy, fortunately, when we were there. The hotel is in a super location on South Cliff, with lovely coastal walks right outside and an easy stroll to the town and beach. There is also a really good spa and pool in the hotel but we did not get time, unfortunately, to use these. Overall, the hotel has a very nice atmosphere and I would certainly return. My one complaint: the large bed was as hard as a board and really uncomfortable to the point I was unable to sleep. Pity ... As everything else was great.

Room Tip: You will pay much more for a sea view while some rooms at the back are bigger and nicer .... But try...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your husband have enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Crown Spa Hotel was built in 1845 with many of the original architectural features still in its prime. We offer both traditional and modern room types yet due to the age of the building the size of the rooms vary. We are pleased that you informed the reception of your dislike towards the room as you are our number one priority and we do wish to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return and would look forward to welcoming you back. I would highly recommend visiting our award winning health spa and pre-booking spa treatments as they are extremely popular. May I also recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you shall receive the advantage offer. Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

South Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed at the hotel for one night, good room and service Did not eat there as we had arranged to go out and I would never pay £14.95 for breakfast,
The down side was that we left our dressing gowns in the bedrooms. Both lightweight cotton. My husband rang and was informed that there would be a £10 charge. I did think this was excessive, but was even more annoyed when they arrived to find that it cost £3 for postage, plastic postage bags are 5 for £1 in the Pound shop and the little amount of work needed to put in bag and post would not cost £7. Profiteering or what by a hotel? Where is the customer service? Yes it was our fault we left, we go to Scarborough about once a month first time we stayed and we would have stayed again but because of this we will not.

Room Tip: We had room 510 on front over looking sea
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank iraqu
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
I am always disappointed when a customer enjoys their stay but decides not to stay again especially when it is through no fault of the hotel.

I have spoken to the receptionist that you spoke to with regards to your dressing gowns and as is the norm have been told you agreed to the charge of £10. This charge is not based on postage alone, you are correct that the item cost £3 to send, however please keep in mind that the nearest post office is a 15 minute walk from the hotel ( no parking so no time saved by driving ) obviously a return walk of 15 minutes as well, add onto this the fact that you can rarely walk into the post office and out within 10 minutes it is a 40 minute journey and this is without an allocation for someone to parcel the items. With hundreds of items left behind and forwarded by the hotel it would be an extremely expensive process if we just charged the actual postage.

We regularly have customers leave items from mobile phone chargers to three piece suits and offer the same rate based on the procedure mentioned in the previous sentence. I must disagree that this is in anyway profiteering as the procedure has a cost and the cost is passed onto the customer this is a cost that we do notify all customers of.

Once again thank you for your review as we do read and respond to all reviews and use use these to better the experience for future guests.

matmat69
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

One night stay in a clean and well presented hotel, friendly staff and a good location. How ever when we booked it stated we would have a king sized bed. We were disappointed to discover that we actually had two single beds (or a bed made of two parts.) For me it did not meet the description at the time of booking and was not particularly comfortable with the two beds not being the an exact fit with one another. Took the shine off an otherwise good hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to leave a mostly positive review. The hotel has a number of beds which are industry standard and classed as zip and links so do join together in the middle. We have recently had a bed audit and are in the process of replacing 40% of our beds and the first delivery has arrived today.

I do hope that a future visit brings you back to the Crown and that you enjoy a comfortable nights sleep.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I have just got back from a 2 night stay at this hotel and I must say this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. We got a complimentary upgrade to a sea view executive suite which I must say the views were fantastic!! We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel when visiting scarborough. Kind regards Mr & Mrs Stones

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your husband have enjoyed your recent stay with us and on this occasion have received a complimentary upgrade to a sea view room. I would highly recommend booking a sea view room as the views are simply priceless and extremely memorable. The Taste Restaurant is a place to indulge yourself where the food is pure delight using only the very best of local produce. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel.

We do hope that your return to the hotel and would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you shall benefit from the advantage offer here. Please feel free to view our spa and romance packages which make your hotel experience extra special. Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

Gloucester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a single night at the hotel and was very impressed with the facilities and decor of the hotel. However my abiding memory will be of the grumpy bar and restaurant staff who apart from from having lost the collective razor were clearly being sponsored not to smile or show any interest in the customers. I have to contrast their demeanour with that of the reception staff who were polite, smiley and helpful.

I hope the staff get a refurbishment that is at least as good as the excellent rooms.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank emdb
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
May I first of all say how pleased I am that you enjoyed the facilities and décor of the hotel, but extremely disappointed that some of the bar staff may have appeared grumpy, this is not normally the case as it is often reported on this site how friendly all staff are.

Your review has been printed and placed into the newsletter so that all staff can see the effect it has if proper customer service is not adhered too. The food and beverage manager has also personally spoken to all bar staff with regards to this complaint so that a repeat performance doesn’t happen.

Once again thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as we do read and respond to all reviews and use them to improve the hotel for future guests.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

My cousin and I stayed at the end of Feb. We received a complimentary upgrade and our room was gorgeous.
The staff couldn't do enough for you. We even had a mud spa treatment.
We enjoyed it so much we're coming back in a few weeks to surprise our mums for their birthday's

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your cousin have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. May I recommend viewing our spa and romance packages which included many added benefits such as chilled wine in your room on arrival, entry into exclusive areas of the spa and much more. The packages ensure your experience is extra special helping you to feel pampered and relaxed.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and would look forward to welcoming you back. I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

With Kind Regards,

Cherry Knaggs- Shaw / Customer Services.