“Tops for style and comfort”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband booked an executive king room with a sea view as a surprise for our anniversary. The hotel has an impressive position on the Esplanade, and a very convenient car park. The entrance and the bar area are stylishly decorated and comfortable, and the staff were charming and efficient. At first sight we loved our room on the fifth floor; a bed as comfy as our own, quality fittings and upholstery, fridge, trouser press, iron and ironing board, funky lighting and a flat screen tv in the bathroom, powerful shower, plenty of storage space. However, the room was very hot, and there was no thermostat, so we had to open the windows wide. During the night, the main ceiling light and the ceiling fan came on and off intermittently of their own accord - very strange! We reported this the next day, and a friendly maintenance man partly resolved the problem by removing the light bulb. The second night, we only had to put up with the fan coming on intermittently! Hubby was slightly grumpy through disturbed sleep, but otherwise we liked the hotel very much.

Room Tip: Avoid the fifth floor unless you're a hothouse flower. Choose a seaview, the harbour is captivat...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

May I thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. I apologise for the maintenance issues that you experienced in your room, please ensure that reception are fully aware at the time and we shall do everything possible to resolve the issue with immediate effect.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from our advantage offer, including a late checkout time, unlimited wifi and 10% discount from your food and more.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I recently stayed in Scarborough with my best friend for my birthday weekend (as my Fiancé was racing at Oliver's Mount) and I found what I thought, was the best hotel that Scarborough had to offer. I advised the hotel when booking, that it was my birthday and we paid for what seemed a decent room. The hotel on arrival is beautiful and the food (evening meal and breakfast) was simply delightful. When we went to our room, we were greeted by the world's smallest bedroom that I've ever stayed in (room 103) and for the price that we paid, I was upset to say the least especially with it being my birthday. The bed was comfortable though and the bathroom was modern and amazing with pink mood lighting. But the bedroom was tiny and well, old fashioned. The picture of the room I'd chosen on-line, depicted a "modern" bed but this was all chintzy and looked like pictures from other room options on-line. Not what I wanted or expected as I specifically chose this room because of the picture and fact it was modern and looked recently decorated. In addition, the floor from the room upstairs was very noisy and creaky and you could hear them any time they walked about.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Likestotravelallover
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the positive comments with regards to the hotel and staff, as stated in my email to you the room booked was not necessarily the one in the picture but was the same size and standard. The hotel is 165 years old and there are no two rooms alike and to place an image of every room on any website would be an endless task.

I do hope that a future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown and that we are able to provide a room that is more suited to your needs.

We do read and respond to all customer complaints and use all feedback to improve the hotel for future guests.

Kind Regards

David Chambers Operations Manager

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here from 9th -12th April to celebrate my birthday and have a bit of a relaxing time. The hotel is lovely, clean, well cared for, the staff are excellent. We ate at the restaurant several times and enjoyed every meal. Thanks to Colin our waiter, also all the other restaurant staff who look professional in their uniform and conduct themselves in a similar fashion. Better service here than at any 'exclusive' hotel in London we have experienced.
We made use of the pool and sauna and this was a bonus. I highly recommend this hotel, if we ever visit Scarborough again I would stay at this hotel.
Well done.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

May I first of all thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us and we do hope that you had a happy birthday! If you enjoy visiting London I highly recommend staying in an Executive room with a sea view. These rooms have a sleek city feel with a little extra Va Va Voom to this already luxurious hotel whilst enjoying the beautiful scenery around you. The Executive rooms have a modern twist and the latest technology including a television over your bath.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and shall look forward to welcoming you back. As you are a valued customer you are our number one priority and we aim to make your experience as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Not only that, but better than some very pricy and upmarket southern hotels we have visited!

This is a really good hotel in all respects. A smart building on a road with parking, high above the sea. The walk down to the sea is directly opposite the hotel through a park with a winding path. After coming back up you will be ready for a (complimentary) cappuccino (espresso, latte etc) from the machine in the restaurant and a rest in the smart & comfortable lounge with, if you are lucky and the weather is cold outside, a huge wood burning stove.

I have absolutely no complaints about our room (110), the staff, dinner, the prices on the wine list, breakfast - continental in our case with the added bonus of a daily hot dish (and the full English looked great) - or anything really...this must be a first. LOL

Scarborough is good as a traditional British seaside experience and there are numerous places round and about to visit.

If you want a good base with a spacious, comfortable and tasteful room, balcony, sea view and buckets of fresh air look no further.

Oh, and the spa is pretty good too with a great pool and loads of treatments on offer.

What more is there to want? Of course, the weather can be tricky but that's life!

Room Tip: 110 is first floor, opposite the lift so especially convenient if, like me, you are a little less mo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

May I first of all thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us, we are extremely lucky to be in such a fabulous location and even if the weather is not on your side you can enjoy full use of the health spa and gymnasium which will make your experience extra special. If you desire spa treatments I would pre-book these as they are very popular.

Room 110 is a Deluxe Feature Room with sea view and a balcony, they are beautiful rooms in a traditional style and you have the option of enjoying continental breakfast on your balcony for no extra charge. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return and shall look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Beautiful setting, friendly staff, from check in to the gym to the bar to checkout.

Love the meandering path from crown spa to the bottom of the hill to get to the beachside. It was a tad cold but that's not the hotels fault.

Stayed at the 5th floor, had a tv in the shower but it was very dim. Room had a tv but it was set parallel to my bed (longways) so I can't turn it on and watch from my bed.

Now, I gotta rave about the gym. Extremely popular and packed! Fully equipped weights room and lots of cardio machines. I wish all hotels has this set up!

Great hotel, if I'm in Scarborough again or if I have friends visiting, will definitely recommend Crown Spa.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

May I thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. Our health club has recently won 3rd best health club in the UK (Flame awards), with fully qualified, trained and registered fitness coaches it is a pleasure keeping fit at The Crown Spa Hotel. I highly recommend pre-booking spa treatments which will make you feel relaxed, rejuvenated and ensure that your experience is extra special.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and shall look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer including 10% discount from your food and more.

Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel.

I visit Scarborough twice a year on business and this is by far my favourite hotel, have stayed many times.

All the rooms that I've stayed in are modern, clean and well appointed. The only thing I'd add would be a bottle of water (sparkling please!). The 5th floor is my favourite, and if you can get a front facing room then then the sea views are incredible.

The gym has plenty of equipment and is never crazy busy, the gym staff are great too. The pool and jacuzzi are both great too.

No complaints, staff are always friendly and accommodating, the food is good too. At breakfast, it would be good to get served straight away rather than the waiter clearing the three tables around me...just a tiny problem though.

Thanks, see you next time.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

May I thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments and feedback onto the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you continue to return and would look forward to welcoming you back. The gymnasium has fully qualified, trained and registered fitness coaches in our state of the art fitness suite and studio. Keeping fit is a real pleasure at the hotel and the health club has won various awards. I would highly recommend booking a spa treatment with our experienced therapists, however pre-book this as they are extremely popular.

May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer. Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is of great importance to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at crown spa 2 nights very posh luxury hotel on the seafront the very best in scarborough .the staf were friendly very polite the food was excellent we ad sea view room with large balcony .room was spacious big tv bed to match dressing table chairs telescope to look out over sea &harbour ,,,, hotel ad gym pamper rooms swimming pool you name it ..... .our Bathroom was top class 1st class everything . 10 out of 10

Room Tip: 10 min walk into town excellent hotel with excellent views
1  Thank Allan O

May I thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and you partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments onto the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return and would look forward to welcoming you back. I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer including a late check out time of noon, unlimited wif, 10% discount from your food and more. May I also recommend viewing our romance packages which ensure that your experience is made extra special.