“Nice Hotel,Great Staff!”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
salisbury
“Nice Hotel,Great Staff!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were celebrating our Ruby anniversary,booked a deluxe sea view room on the first floor,room was lovely,very clean, well appointed with a huge very comfortable bed and even a telescope to scan the sea with,a nice anniversary card and chocolates was a lovely gesture.
Balcony was a bit of a let down as it is tiny and not very well maintained.
Bathroom was very nice and very clean,did,nt have an extractor fan though which was odd.
Great shower,nice mood lighting but smallish towels which is a shame.
At 160 years plus the building is a bit creaky and we did have a herd of elephants in the room above but thats life.I did miss there not being a fridge in the room and someone had "borrowed" the room service menu from the information pack,takes all sorts I suppose.
The electric fire in the old fireplace was held together with masking tape which again is a shame as small things like that detract from the mostly very nice experience we had.
Overall a very nice,well run and very friendly hotel just a few little niggles which as usual are down to a "lack of attention to detail"(I'm ex forces and can't help being nit picky)
Would I recommend the Crown Spa-most definitely!!!

Room Tip: Go high and book a seaview and prebooked parking.
2 Thank plodus
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. I am in full agreement that some of the balconies are a little small but with the best will in the world I can’t think that the planning department would allow us to extend them on a grade two listed building. I will however look into the maintenance of it and resolve what issues we may find.

We do have refrigerators available upon request which can be organised at time of booking or by calling reception.

We do read and respond to all customer complaints and use all feedback to improve the hotel for future guests with the hope that the little niggles will be resolved, I do hope that you return to Scarborough and that a return trip brings you back to the Crown.

Kind Regards

David Chambers Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Polish first
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a couple, surprise break with my gorgeous wife.......left the kids at home.

On arrival we found we had been upgraded to a superior, sea-view room. Nice surprise. The room was lovely and had a fantastic view of the sea & Scarborough. In the room we found a telescope set up, at the window, to enhance the view, great touch.

The bed was firm, our preference. The obligatory tea & coffee facilities were present, but with the added bonus of ground coffee.

The bathroom was huge and with a choice of mood lighting. My wife & I are 'normal' size, but unfortunately the bath is not made for 2!

We didn't eat in the hotel. But can recommend the Mexican, 50 metres up the road, El Gringos, bit noisy, but fun & good value, we were lucky & probably better to book.

We used the gym & the Spa. All good. Free weights as well as exercise machines.

Staff were helpful without being pushy.

All in all, brill.

£159 for 2 nights, excluding breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
May I first of all thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your wife have enjoyed your recent stay with us and received a complimentary upgrade on this occasion. I would always recommend booking a sea view room to guarantee a beautiful view of the bay and harbour. If you do this on booking the reservation you will not miss out.

I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We would look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope that you can join us in the Taste Restaurant offering you quality cuisine and using the very best of local produce.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is of great importance to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer.

UK
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We are staying here at the moment and I felt the need to review how lovely the hotel, our room and the food is. To be honest we now wouldn't stay anywhere else. We've tried all of the large hotels in Scarborough but this is by far the best. We are staying in a junior suite as we have 2 little ones. The suite consists of a fantastic bathroom with mood lighting, a living room which doubles as a bedroom for the children and a large bedroom with huge comfortable bed. We asked for a sea view at the time of booking so also have a lovely view. There is a car park behind the hotel that we pre-booked too.
When we went for our evening meal last night which was very nice we came back to our room to find the children's bed had been made for us!
We are having a lovely relaxed stay and will be booking for another break later on in the year.

• Stayed April 2014
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
May I first of all thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your family have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We are extremely lucky to be in such a wonderful location and there is plenty to do for the little ones. The foreshore offers endless fun with amusements, famous ice cream from the Harbour Bar and of course the beach. Locally we also have the Scarborough castle, mini golf, miniature railway and much more.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from our advantage offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband booked an executive king room with a sea view as a surprise for our anniversary. The hotel has an impressive position on the Esplanade, and a very convenient car park. The entrance and the bar area are stylishly decorated and comfortable, and the staff were charming and efficient. At first sight we loved our room on the fifth floor; a bed as comfy as our own, quality fittings and upholstery, fridge, trouser press, iron and ironing board, funky lighting and a flat screen tv in the bathroom, powerful shower, plenty of storage space. However, the room was very hot, and there was no thermostat, so we had to open the windows wide. During the night, the main ceiling light and the ceiling fan came on and off intermittently of their own accord - very strange! We reported this the next day, and a friendly maintenance man partly resolved the problem by removing the light bulb. The second night, we only had to put up with the fan coming on intermittently! Hubby was slightly grumpy through disturbed sleep, but otherwise we liked the hotel very much.

Room Tip: Avoid the fifth floor unless you're a hothouse flower. Choose a seaview, the harbour is captivat...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
May I thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. I apologise for the maintenance issues that you experienced in your room, please ensure that reception are fully aware at the time and we shall do everything possible to resolve the issue with immediate effect.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from our advantage offer, including a late checkout time, unlimited wifi and 10% discount from your food and more.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I recently stayed in Scarborough with my best friend for my birthday weekend (as my Fiancé was racing at Oliver's Mount) and I found what I thought, was the best hotel that Scarborough had to offer. I advised the hotel when booking, that it was my birthday and we paid for what seemed a decent room. The hotel on arrival is beautiful and the food (evening meal and breakfast) was simply delightful. When we went to our room, we were greeted by the world's smallest bedroom that I've ever stayed in (room 103) and for the price that we paid, I was upset to say the least especially with it being my birthday. The bed was comfortable though and the bathroom was modern and amazing with pink mood lighting. But the bedroom was tiny and well, old fashioned. The picture of the room I'd chosen on-line, depicted a "modern" bed but this was all chintzy and looked like pictures from other room options on-line. Not what I wanted or expected as I specifically chose this room because of the picture and fact it was modern and looked recently decorated. In addition, the floor from the room upstairs was very noisy and creaky and you could hear them any time they walked about.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Likestotravelallover
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the positive comments with regards to the hotel and staff, as stated in my email to you the room booked was not necessarily the one in the picture but was the same size and standard. The hotel is 165 years old and there are no two rooms alike and to place an image of every room on any website would be an endless task.

I do hope that a future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown and that we are able to provide a room that is more suited to your needs.

We do read and respond to all customer complaints and use all feedback to improve the hotel for future guests.

Kind Regards

David Chambers Operations Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here from 9th -12th April to celebrate my birthday and have a bit of a relaxing time. The hotel is lovely, clean, well cared for, the staff are excellent. We ate at the restaurant several times and enjoyed every meal. Thanks to Colin our waiter, also all the other restaurant staff who look professional in their uniform and conduct themselves in a similar fashion. Better service here than at any 'exclusive' hotel in London we have experienced.
We made use of the pool and sauna and this was a bonus. I highly recommend this hotel, if we ever visit Scarborough again I would stay at this hotel.
Well done.

May I first of all thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us and we do hope that you had a happy birthday! If you enjoy visiting London I highly recommend staying in an Executive room with a sea view. These rooms have a sleek city feel with a little extra Va Va Voom to this already luxurious hotel whilst enjoying the beautiful scenery around you. The Executive rooms have a modern twist and the latest technology including a television over your bath.

We do hope that you return to the hotel and shall look forward to welcoming you back. As you are a valued customer you are our number one priority and we aim to make your experience as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Not only that, but better than some very pricy and upmarket southern hotels we have visited!

This is a really good hotel in all respects. A smart building on a road with parking, high above the sea. The walk down to the sea is directly opposite the hotel through a park with a winding path. After coming back up you will be ready for a (complimentary) cappuccino (espresso, latte etc) from the machine in the restaurant and a rest in the smart & comfortable lounge with, if you are lucky and the weather is cold outside, a huge wood burning stove.

I have absolutely no complaints about our room (110), the staff, dinner, the prices on the wine list, breakfast - continental in our case with the added bonus of a daily hot dish (and the full English looked great) - or anything really...this must be a first. LOL

Scarborough is good as a traditional British seaside experience and there are numerous places round and about to visit.

If you want a good base with a spacious, comfortable and tasteful room, balcony, sea view and buckets of fresh air look no further.

Oh, and the spa is pretty good too with a great pool and loads of treatments on offer.

What more is there to want? Of course, the weather can be tricky but that's life!

Room Tip: 110 is first floor, opposite the lift so especially convenient if, like me, you are a little less mo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us, we are extremely lucky to be in such a fabulous location and even if the weather is not on your side you can enjoy full use of the health spa and gymnasium which will make your experience extra special. If you desire spa treatments I would pre-book these as they are very popular.

Room 110 is a Deluxe Feature Room with sea view and a balcony, they are beautiful rooms in a traditional style and you have the option of enjoying continental breakfast on your balcony for no extra charge. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return and shall look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone where you can benefit from the advantage offer.