“Impressive and luxurious from outside and in lobby, but rooms were plain, with windows that were dirty”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was eagerly waiting my stay in this four star hotel. I left feeling "is that it"
It was too hot in the room, when windows were open, local birdlife came and sat on window ledge, food wasnt included in the price.
The best thing about the hotel is its staff ( they were the best) and treatment rooms. After a relaxing massage, I felt totally relaxed. Other than the treatment and friendly staff, I wouldnt recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
May I first of all thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am extremely confused with regards to your comment that food was not included? We sell lots of different packages and clearly state what is included and your package would have clearly stated room only.

We have recently had some warm weather and the hotel being highly insulated does tend to keep the temperature, we do state in all literature that fans are available by calling reception.

Thank you for your positive comments with regards to the staff and the treatments we do have a great team that more often than not are able to have customers leaving and wanting to return, I am extremely sorry that you did not feel this way.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review as we do read and respond to all customer feedback to enable us to improve the experience for future guests.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This has to be the best value 4* around. We booked a superior sea view room and it was superb.
King size bed, 3 piece leather suite, 4 seater dining table and to top it off a telescope and tripod to view the sea and bay.
The whole place is beautifully decorated and clean and the food and restaurant superb.
Staff and service impeccable. Hotel car parking space for just £6 per day!!!!
If they had a doorman and concierge this hotel would be up to 5star straightaway.
I've read some of the negative reviews here and frankly they must be professional moaners!!!
We will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malcolm F
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return and would look forward to welcoming you back. Visit us in the summer and there are various coastal walks that we can recommend, the foreshore and town centre are a five minute walk away whilst being surrounded by beautiful views of the harbour. We are extremely lucky to be in such a marvellous location, however if the weather is not on your side you may take advantage of our award winning health spa and gymnasium.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. Also please feel free to view our romance packages which ensure that your experience is extra special.

Hull Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel in October 2013,and was impressed with it so much so we booked again for the May bank holiday,We were dissapointed on this occasion the standard has dropped. We were in room 322 for which I paid extra for a sea view which we had if you ,if you were standing up!!. The so called King bed was actually two beds put together and the matresses sagged!.
The Spa which last time was brilliant this time was dirty and unkempt . the steam room had a smell of urine as did the seating area,there was also empty coke bottles left on the floor,and newspapers left in the sauna and in the wet floor in the seating area.to be fair when I mentioned the smell a young man did come and pour some chemical into the steam room and the smell did subside,but really the whole Spa required a thorough clean.The restaraunt was fine and the staff very attentive.The only slight complaint was paying £1-60 for half a glass of Pepsi,The parking is also hit and miss as if you do not get in the small hotel car park you have to park on the street,for which the hotel give you a pass as it is resident parking,I managed to park three streets away.

Room Tip: If you have requested a sea view room,make sure you can see the sea!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with room 322 and wish that you had brought this to the attention of the management who I am sure would have offered an alternative room.

The spa area is extremely busy and leisure attendants are constantly cleaning in and around the retreat suite, this is also followed by an external company that deep cleans all of these areas overnight every night. I am pleased that when the issue was mentioned to the staff member that the problem was resolved.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have stayed at the Crown Spa a few times and have never been disappointed. We visited again late March for a one night quick getaway and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We used the Spa facilities, although the swimming pool is very small, the jacuzzi is plenty for a few to share but I found the dosing of the chlorine quite strong and made my eyes sore but this may be due to lack of ventilation in this area. The quiet area is nice to sit in and relax and saunas are good too but the changing rooms are disappointing and not very clean or in keeping with the 4 star rating. We had an evening meal which was fabulous, can highly recommend the mussels starter and sea bass or salmon for main course. The breakfast regime however is not so good and we were served by a young lad who obviously didn't want to be there which was a shame as the evening dining staff were very attentive. We will be visiting again but may book room only next time and skip breakfast and have it elsewhere.

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. May we apologise for your experience at breakfast and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. A good day deserves a good breakfast! We do hope that you continue to return to the hotel and would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer, this includes 10% discount from your food, laundry, spa treatments, unlimited wifi and a noon check out time.

I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. All feedback is monitored closely by management as we hope to improve the hotel for future guests, thank you again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Me and my partner stayed a Friday night in March. As it was my birthday we spent more money than we usually would have. We bought the Romance 1 Package that I must say was not value for money and pretty rubbish if I'm honest. The room (executive suite) was a lot smaller then we had anticipated, the website is slightly misleading. We had a corner room and did not sleep a wink with the wind battering off what sounded like loose panelling. We got a bottle of Sparkling wine wish wasn't bad but what was really cheap was the PLASTIC rose petals on the bed, white on white bedding. We had room service which was fine and the spa and facilities are well worth using. We went out on the evening, we had left our plates outside the room as requested by reception but was still there when we returned 3 hours later!

I think as an employee in the hospitality and catering industry I expected a bit more of a personal touch, an acknowledgement of my birthday as my partner had made this clear.

I left feedback for management and had no response which was disappointing as we felt let down.

Room Tip: Go for a basic room, we wanted something special and did not get it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all say how sorry I am that you felt your stay was disappointing, we normally leave a birthday card and chocolates for all customers on their birthday, unfortunately I am unable to check if there was any note of this on your profile as tripadvisor allows user names that do not normally relate to the name of the customer so almost impossible to trace.

Had we been aware of your birthday I can assure you that it would have been acknowledged.

As a coastal hotel we do face some extreme weather during the spring tides and March did have some extremely windy weather, had you called reception with regards to being unable to sleep we would have happily offered you an alternative.

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I made a reservation at this hotel for my father. On the day of travel he experienced a "hypo" as he is type 2 insulin dependant and required medical attention therefore he was unable to travel.
I contacted the hotel and explained the situation asking could he move the reservation to the following weekend....
There was no problem doing this except it was cost a further £40!!!!!!!!!!! So a one night stay in a 4 star hotel in Scarborough for £181 has resulted in a one night stay at £205!!!
I have frequented enough 5 star hotels around the UK and elsewhere and I have never encountered such unhelpful, unsympathetic and robotic staff!!!
I sincerely wonder If this hotel on and bed and breakfast basis is actually worth £205 for one night?!!
Having just checked availability for a 5 star central London hotel it does not even cost this much.
Very disappointed at the lack of discretion, helpfulness and attitude of what can only be described as robots as staff and management.
Thank you and kindest regards for all of your help. Wow I love the great British attitude! And yes.....before I do receive feedback from any management, when I do book a hotel I sit and pour through the terms and conditions and cancellation policy............................................
Brilliant "get out" clause.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all say I do hope that your father is recovering and returning to full health. I am extremely sorry that you he was unable to visit on the original dates booked and that the extra charge was met with such disapproval.

The staff and management are far from being robots but do have to stick to policy with regards to the cancellation of a reservation, we receive numerous requests daily and need to stick to policy or we would constantly end up with empty rooms.

I do hope that your father is able to visit the Crown soon and can have an enjoyable break.

David Chambers ? Operations Manager
Ripley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have stayed in this hotel before and knew what to expect in our surroundings. We were impressed with the redecoration around the corridors and our bedroom but were disappointed that we had again been allocated a smaller than usual sea view room. After speaking with the staff member in charge I was extremely satisfied with her attentive manner and in the way she dealt with my concern. The hotel is extremely well maintained friendly and efficient staff who appear very professional. The continental breakfast was excellent with boiled eggs also offered up. The spa facilities are really good with tall the normal facilities and more than your usual options including an aroma room and foot spas. The room we were in although small was well equipped with a large flat screen TV and a dressing area etc. our friends room was much larger with two sea view windows and both had very comfy beds. We will be returning.

Room Tip: For us - Don't have 302 as it is very small but the same price as 300
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
crownspahotel, Customer Service. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

The Crown Spa Hotel is the oldest purpose built hotel in our coastal resort, with many of the original architectural features still in their prime. Due to the age and character of the building no two rooms are the same, each varying in size and layout. Superior rooms are more spacious than a comfort room. We are pleased that you spoke with a member of staff regarding your disappointment, as a valued customer you are our number one priority and we wish to make your experience as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return and would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. Also if you wish to make your experience extra special I would advise viewing our spa treatment menu and spa packages. Please pre-book any treatments as they are extremely popular.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is of great importance to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.