“Shame About The Neighbours!.”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Shame About The Neighbours!.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have visited The Crown on several occasions, the first being our wedding reception in 2005. I have posted a previous review on how much we enjoy our visits. This trip was a little unfortunate, slightly due to a mix up on our part, as we arrived a day later than we thought we had booked for and therefore obviously had to pay for a night we didn't actually stay. Anyway, the room was of the usual standard we have come to expect and the staff were as friendly and helpful as always. Our first night was very comfortable and we looked forward to a relaxing day and another night in our room.

On returning to our room on the friday afternoon, we became aware of a lot of banging and stamping around in the room above us. We are not people who are prone to complaining but after a while it was obvious some sort of kids party was taking place above. We assumed this would only last a short while so ignored it. Well, the noise continued for a long time and sounded like stamping and people literally jumping off chairs/beds etc. We made two calls to reception to report this, and were told someone would pop up and investigate. On leaving the hotel to go out for dinner, the noise was still ongoing, so I mentioned it again in person at reception, getting the distinct impression that nobody had actually made any contact with the occupants of the room.

The following morning, the noise started up again. On checking out, I mentioned this. Now, I work in a hotel, and fully appreciate you cannot always allocate rooms in an ideal way but my overall feeling coming away from this visit was we had spent a night in Butlins. I know it's not always easy to deal with matters like this but I would of liked to have felt that something had actually been said at least. I cannot emphasise how loud the noise and disturbance was, at one point my wifes laptop actually moved from the vibrations caused.

I will stress again that my issue was with the inconsiderate behaviour of other customers at the hotel, not the actual establishment. Shame.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am always delighted when any of our guests return but extremely disappointed if their stay is far from perfect. I have looked at the hotel log and it was recorded that a call was made to the room above it seems that this unfortunately didn’t resolve the problem.

I do hope that you return to the hotel in the not too distant future and that any issues will be brought to our attention immediately giving us the opportunity to resolve the problem, if this wasn’t the case in the future please do ask to speak to me directly.

Once again thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and my sincere apologies for the inconsiderate customers occupying the room above.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

When we arrived at the hotel it is very impressive, the check in staff were very friendly, allocated our room on the first floor took the lift, on entering the room it looked ok but was very warm, I opened the only window which had shutters outside it, opened them to find I was looking at a brick wall! There was a constant humming coming from the fans on the roof outside the window, now I am not too fussy with rooms but for £130 for the night without breakfast this was totally unacceptable, went to reception and explained I could not sleep in that room they were very helpful and took me to another room to look at it, it was on the same floor two doors along the same noise coming from the fans, we went back to reception, after about 10 mins we were taken to another room on the second floor which was lovely lots of light and quiet. We liked it so much we stayed another night, we used the pool and spa pool but I found the chlorine levels and fumes a bit overpowering but that could just be me. We ate at restaurant on the second night the food was just ok if I am being honest, we had a few drinks in the bar, the bar staff we lovely and friendly but did leave the bar to help in the restaurant and customers were waiting to be served. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. The walk to town and the sea front is pleasant but it's quite a climb back up so if you have any problems walking and climbing it could be a problem. Overall the stay was very nice but at these prices I expected more from the only 4 star hotel in Scarborough, I would stay here again but only on a higher floor and would ask for a better deal.

Room Tip: High floors a must!
1 Thank ibukey
Thank you for taking the time to leave a mostly positive review, I am delighted that we were eventually able to find a room that you felt was acceptable for the price you paid. I would always recommend calling the hotel direct so that you can take our advantages package giving you some great deals on rooms and the facilitates whilst at the hotel.

I do hope that you return to the Crown in the not to distant future at that the Crown is your hotel of choice.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just used the Crown Spa as a base for a conference. I have stayed before on a personal level and would recommend the hotel completely. The staff are so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. They go out of their way to help. The hotel accommodation is excellent too - all areas maintained to an excellent standard, Whether its for business or pleasure definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent but try and get a sea view or one of the penthouse rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the hotel both on a business and pleasure basis and been able to see all that we have to offer.

Nothing pleases us more than when a customer leaves the hotel having had an enjoyable stay. I will pass on your positive comments to both the staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another satisfied customer. I do look forward to you visiting the Crown again in the not too distant future as nothing pleases us more than seeing a guest return.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review as we do read and respond to all reviews and use them to improve the Crown experience for future guests.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The views from the front of the hotel are great, the sweep of South Bay is impressive. A short walk into the town centre and some steep walks through the cliff top gardens to the beach. We had a top floor room at the back which was modern and well appointed with great views of the town and castle. A good breakfast set us up for the following day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and the great views over the town and castle.

South yorks
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel was ok and provided a comfortable nights sleep with an easy walk into town. The view over a taxi rank wasn't very panoramic. the gym was a bonus.it wasn't 4 star in terms of other 4star hotels we have stayed in previously and the pair of smelly socks we found on the floor when we arrived which were clearly in view, didn't contribute to giving this a 5 star rating

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am always disappointed when a customer feels that their stay was not to the standard that should have been expected. I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper with regards to the socks that were left in the room and asked her to inform her team of the standards that are expected.

Once again my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused, we do read and respond to all customer feedback and use it to enhance the stay of future guests, your comments have been noted and will be forwarded to the staff in due cause.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this last Minute and found the hotel food and spa great.

Upon check in they were very sweet and gave us late check out free of charge. Upon check out - different staff charged us. We explained we were told we can stay till 12 and not 11 but they plainly told me I was lying and charged us. This was humiliating and embarrassing.

The room was ok and clean but noisy outside. Till very late. Our window was overlooking the dustbins in the backyard and where all the deliveries arrived to. Make sure you do not get this room if you plan to go here. (Room 256)

Wasn't about the money at all. I would rather a place with not such an amazing spa but where the service is better. I would avoid this hotel just because of it's poor service.

The spa was nice although the jacuzzi and pool was warm not hot enough to stay inside for too long.

We also paid for extras in the room , balloons as it was someone's birthday and never mind that they charged £10 when we called to ask for a quote. We agreed as it was important although I would never usually pay £10 for 5 balloons.
When we checked out and came to pay they charged us £18 service charge or something which was Not mentioned when we were quoted £10.

Over all it was a disappointing experience and never again. Keep away if you want to end your holiday smiling.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all say how disappointed I am that you have decided to email me informing me that you were sending a negative review to various sites without attempting to resolve these issues whilst at the hotel.

You made your reservation through a booking agent and later made requests for additional services that all have a charge, I am extremely sorry if you felt that we were deceptive but would in no way want a customer to think that we were calling them liars.

When an additional request is made in an email we follow this up with a phone call and all calls are recorded so that we can confirm if necessary what has been said.

Once again my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused, we do read and respond to all customer feedback and use it to enhance the stay of future guests.

Sheffield
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

1st nights room 119, small & claustrophobic, too hot & opened window to noisy air vent so not much sleep, complained & was moved to 356 which was so much nicer, lovely hotel besides & nice staff especially John Porter the barman, made us feel like could stop in the bar all night! Guess that's why he's there :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. We do always ask that customers bring any issues that they may have to our attention to enable us to resolve the problem, it appears that on this occasion we were offered the opportunity to resolve a problem and did so.