“Comfortable and Clean”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We chose this hotel for a short break after our wedding.The hotel is situated on a hill with great views of the beach and sea.The rooms are clean comfortable with a modern décor and all the technological gadgets that you would need. The hotel staff were great very friendly and helpful. During our stay we used the spa and had a treatment, the spa the new part is great however the old part needs some cosmetic attention. Overall a good clean comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: For a good sea view ask for the front of the hotel and a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam C
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us and we would like to congratulate you both on your recent wedding. If you enjoy the modern décor then the executive rooms on the penthouse floor are the rooms for yourself. The Executive rooms are situated on the top floor, including a television over your bath and the latest technology. May I recommend viewing the spa and romance packages which include many added benefits and ensure that your experience is extra special.

I shall pass your kind comments onto the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return as we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I advise booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage packages, including unlimited wifi, a noon checkout, 10% discount from your food and more.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,986)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have just returned from my husbands birthday treat at this lovely hotel,from arrival to departure everything was perfect, our room (110) was very nice with a beautiful sea view & a balcony with furniture...even a telescope...the weather was perfect, we ate in the restaurant & couldn't fault it, breakfast was excellent too.....my tip would be to book direct with the hotel as we did, you get extra "perks" doing it this way.
We will certainly return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yeadoners

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your husband have enjoyed your recent stay with us and we do hope that your husband enjoyed his birthday! The feature deluxe rooms have a touch of opulence and are situated on the first floor. They all have stunning views over the wonderful South Bay, full length French windows which lead out onto a balcony area where you can enjoy continental breakfast / tea and coffee, sit and watch the world go by.

I shall pass your kind comments onto the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. We do hope that you return as we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend viewing our spa and romance packages as they include many benefits and ensure that your experience is extra special.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a difficult review to write as, apart from a couple of flaws, it was a really nice three night stay. The positives first - all the 'front of house' staff were really lovely. From the reception desk to the bar staff, from the room service waiters to the cleaners, all were genuinely helpful and friendly.

Sadly I was taken ill during my stay and the reception staff were most sympathetic and helpful - finding me a 'walk in' medical centre and arranging a taxi etc. Spot on.

The restaurant menu has plenty of choices and the food and service were both fine. Most enjoyable.

So - what went wrong? Well, the room (151) was uncomfortably hot so we naturally opened the window. This meant that we could clearly hear everything going on in the kitchen below us, including the 'ripe' language. I'm sure the staff concerned would be mortified to learn that guests could hear them (we rang down to reception on the Sunday night to ask them if they could ask for a bit of peace for us, without much success). Perhaps we should have asked for a different room but, as I said, I was very 'under the weather' and simply couldn't face the upheaval.

Would we stay at the Crown Spa again? Yes, I think we would. But in a different room.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon D
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

May I first of all say thank you for taking the time to leave a mostly positive review and I do hope that you have made a full recovery.

Unfortunately room 151 is abouve the kitchen window and I fully understand that there may have been a disturbance which we do try to control but unfortunately aren’t able to monitor constantly. I do wish that you had asked to be moved as I can assure you this would have been done as swiftly as possible so that there was as little disturbance to you whilst not feeling well.

I do hope that a future visit to Scarborough will bring you back to the Crown as nothing pleases us more than seeing a guest return.

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review as we do read and respond to all reviews and use them to enable us to improve the experience for future guests.

Kind Regards

David Chambers Operations manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay. This Victorian hotel is beautifully situated and has a grand facade with Corinthian pillars. It promises much luxury and indulgence but it's pretty much all downhill from the reception desk..We're amazed that this place has 4 stars and various awards.Clearly there is some grading of the rooms and it must be a nightmare to try and keep this once genteel hotel (built 1834) up to speed. However we moved 3 times before we found a half acceptable room and actually the 4th was pretty awful. The first had ghastly aged carpets and smelt very stale rather like a nursing home. The second was much improved and had been updated but the toilet flush didn't work; the 3rd room had a ghastly view of the fire escape and the stench of sewage which we noted as soon as we entered but which overwhelmed the place when the toilet was flushed ( I note other reviewers have commented about smells in this hotel.) The 4th room was over the kitchens. It was boiling hot so we asked for a fan.We could hear the noise of the various fans from the kitchens so couldn't have the windows opened and we were directly overlooked by other hotel rooms within a couple of metres! So despite the lovely sunny weather we had to pull the heavy curtains and use the room with the lights on all the time as there were no privacy blinds!! This is meant to be 4 star hotel! The design of the bathroom/bath was another disaster area but at least the toilet flushed but one of the glasses in the bathroom was covered in black mould.The Staff was patient,courteous and did everything they could to resolve the situation, but nothing from the management. There must be some decent rooms in this hotel but if you are booking late as we did be careful. As to the Spa ....it was full of kids when we wished to use it and smelt heavily chlorinated. Not exactly the relaxing oasis we were expecting....As for breakfast. there was a good range of options but there didn't seem to be enough staff and both morning customers were searching for staff in pursuit of service or brown bread or cups or marmalade.The 'Taste' restaurant was reasonable and we ate there both nights more out of lethargy than anything else, and the bar staff was helpful and attentive. The porter/sorter who helped us carry our luggage from room to room and untwinned various beds for us en route to room 207 was a gem as well. My advice would be avoid this hotel if at all possible.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4 rooms we were in the staff know which ones they are! If you are deaf and have no sense o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ZoeBristol

May I first of all say how disappointed I am that you feel it necessary to leave such a negative review, as is quite clear from your review we do always attempt to resolve any issues that a customer may have but on occasion it is a mission we are unable to fulfil and we do have to accept that on the very rare occasion it we have to accept we cannot please all of the customers all of the time.

I do ask that any customer that reads this review does make a point of reading the hundreds of other reviews on this site and others and does visit the Crown for an enjoyable stay which is the norm for the majority of customers.

Kind Regards

David Chambers Operations manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hotel room clean, location excellent we had a great family stay here.
Only down points we felt evening menu over priced, charging extra for cooked breakfast when paying over £100 a night bit much and we booked a car parking space which was very handy but at check out informed this had cost us £20....ouchy! Nice surprise.....not.

Would stay here again. My first visit to the East Coast and Scarborough looking forward to another visit.

Room Tip: You must try and get a sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

May I firstly thank you for writing a mostly positive review.

We are pleased that you and your family have enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are lucky to be in such a brilliant location, near the town centre and the foreshore which has plenty to offer for all ages. May I advise booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. This includes unlimited wifi, a noon checkout, 10% discount from your food and more. When booking direct you also have the option to book with Full English Breakfast included.

We do hope that you return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. I shall pass your kind comments onto the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. In addition to the private car park we are able to supply you with a complimentary on-street permit. This covers all of the streets in the surrounding area and will be valid for the full length of your stay with us.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have just returned from another 3 night break at the Crown Spa, this time for my husband's birthday. From the check in at Reception, where we were greeted by very friendly staff, to the check out, where we were wished a safe journey, the Crown Spa ticks all of the boxes. We were pleased to receive an Advantage Card which gave us 10% off various things, and free WiFi for the duration of our stay. It came in very handy when we had to return to the hotel, having been caught by seagulls in the town, and had to put clothing to the laundry. We had several items including jackets and trousers, but they were laundered and returned to our room within 4 hours. There are so many superlatives - the room, 502, the lounge, the bar, the restaurant, the location, the spa - but the one thing that makes the Crown Spa so much the place to stay, is its staff who are friendly, helpful, approachable, efficient.
Just a couple of gripes. During our stay, there were a couple of large parties, including young children, who made rather a lot of noise in the restaurant in the evenings, and were allowed to run around with dolls pushchairs. Although they were given the small dining room, it did become annoying for other diners. A quiet word to remind them that there were other guests, would have been welcome.
The other gripe concerns the fruit juice at breakfast. It is disappointing that a hotel of the Crown Spa's standard should use concentrated syrup, and then dilute it until it becomes tasteless. We did mention it to the restaurant manager, who did apologise
Apart from that - another wonderful stay, and one which will be repeated

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us overall, we do hope that your husband enjoyed his birthday. It is unfortunate that on this occasion you had been caught by the seagulls; however I am pleased that you had been able to put your advantage card to good use.

We do hope that you return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. I shall pass on your kind comments and helpful feedback on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. May I also recommend viewing our spa and romance packages which include many added benefits and ensure that your stay is extra special.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Had a one night stay here in a seaview twin room, beautiful views from the front of the hotel. Spacious room, clean comfy beds, large flat screen tv, nice and quiet so had a restful night. The only things i would have liked to have had were free wifi ( only got a two hour trial) and a small fridge in room would have been helpful. Excellent hotel would visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. May I recommend that you make reception aware of any issues at the time of your stay, as we are able to provide a fridge on request.

We do hope that you return as we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I advise booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. This includes unlimited wifi, a late checkout time, 10% discount from your food and more.