“Nice Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Shepshed, England, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Nice hotel stayed 1 night clean well presented staff friendly and helpful breakfast over priced for the quality and quantity no hotel parking had a choice of 21 roads to park try finding a road close to hotel I parked 3 streets away some 10 mins walk all this at £195 per night wont stay again Left our swimming costumes left them in a bag near bar area when remembered we spotted a member of the bar staff walking towards reception with it he chucked our bag over reception on to the floor I asked is that the way you treat other peoples property he laughed and walked away.ps could not find how to operate the shower phone kept ringing no body on the other end

Room Tip: need to face the sea
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tom M
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am always disappointed when any aspect of a customer’s stay is not as they may have expected.

Parking at the height of the season can be difficult directly outside the hotel but we do have a car park that can be pre-booked also there is a public car park 100 metres away.

Having spoken to the bar supervisor I have been informed that the member of staff who placed your bag behind reception had looked in the bag and could see it was only clothing and when he called reception they had asked him to drop it behind the desk. At no time did he or any member of staff feel that there was likely to be any damage to the clothing or any disrespect shown towards the customer. I have however now informed all staff that under no circumstances should any items belonging to a customer be handled this way.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review as we do read and respond to all reviews to enable us to improve the hotels experience for future guests.

David Chambers Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

First time staying here and a well-rounded well done to the team. The interior is very pleasant, my (single on this occasion) room spacious and very clean. Breakfast good. Superb counter service and breakfast service froma young man called Tom, I think (blonde hair, beard). I interacted with about 6 staff members overall and found all to be helpdul and polite.

There's a few minor downsides like the view from my room (back of hotel) and a slighlty uneven floor but these you get anywhere and are not in my view an issue. There was a slight fluctuation in hot water for showers, as well.

So, not quite a 5, but certainly a 4.5 and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Sea view, obviosuly, probably not 1st floor as there was soem kinda party. Other than than, dunno. 3...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I am always when a customer leaves the hotel having enjoyed a warm and welcoming stay.

Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I do hope that you return to the Crown on your next visit to Scarborough as nothing pleases us more than seeing a guest return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I booked the crown spa as a last minute night away via booking.com Upon our arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful and set a good feel for our stay. We arrived a little early so the room was not ready, but the lounge area is a very comfortable area to wait. When we went to our room it was clean and we'll maintained with a modern bathroom. We were at the rear of the hotel (119) which looked out onto a wall, but this has been shielded by some shutters that are adequate. For a single night stay it was not an issue as we were not in the room for long, however I would not recommend a long stay if time is being spent in the room .... We spent time using the spa facilities which were excellent and thoroughly enjoyed.
Overall, I can say our first stay at the Crown spa was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
crownspahotel, Customer Services. at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your partner have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. I highly recommend booking a Sea View room when you stay with us, the views are stunning and simply worth it. You also receive the use of a telescope to explore further and if booking a Balcony room you may choose to enjoy your breakfast whilst watching the sunrise ahead of you.

We do hope that you return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. May I recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the Advantage Package. This includes unlimited wifi, a noon checkout, 10% discount from your food, treatments and more. I would advise pre-booking any spa treatments as the therapists are popular and this will avoid any disappointment.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, it is important to us and shall be used to improve the hotel for future guests.

With Kind Regards,
Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stopped here for one night as a special treat for me and my girlfriend. I advised I was going to propose to her and as a result they kindly gave me a free upgrade on the room. Staff were very polite at check in and check out and very chatty.
Rooms very clean, modern, nice plasma tv , comfy king size bed and four pillows.
Free use of the spa and leisure facilities, the lady kindly looked after my room card, and again was very professional and polite, nothing was of too much trouble for this middle aged lady working in the leisure suites. Lovely romantic Jacuzzi pool, swimming pool a little small but what do you expect as it is only a hotel pool. Nice foot spa facility left my feet feeling awesome, and I looked the Turkish steam room and sauna;.
I would stay here again, it is a little pricy at £96 for one night room only but as a treat I enjoyed my stay and would return,.
my only negatives, more niggles than anything would be;
£7.90 for a pint of lager and pint of coke in hotel bar. Bar staff never spoke a single word to any of the customers in the hour I spent there.
I got quoted £10 each for continental breakfast and if I wanted a cooked breakfast it would be £15 each. This is very pricey and I dare say a lot of people may venture a few hundred yards over the bridge to one of the cafes. I would of paid maybe £8 tops each for a cooked breakfast, lets face it they are a cheap meal too cook and I think the hotel is losing out here, whilst I am not a tight wad the price quoted was a little over the top for bacon sausage and egg.
Having said that all the other staff and hotel I was very very pleased with and I would return, I also am a very light sleeper and the noise level was very very quiet and with the comfy bed I slept like a log..

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra, simply stunning views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richard9999_12
May I firstly thank you for writing a positive review.

We are pleased that you and your girlfriend have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the staff and management at The Crown Spa Hotel. The hotel is the oldest purpose built hotel and the only Four Star Hotel in our coastal resort. Many of the original architectural features are still in their prime, offering both traditional and modern facilities. The Taste Restaurant is a place to indulge yourself, where the food is pure delight and where quality and attention keep us awake at night, not you! May I advise that in addition to the Full sized breakfast we also offer an Express option. Full English being £8.00 and Continental being £6.00.

We do hope that you return to the hotel as we would look forward to welcoming you back. I would recommend booking through our direct website or over the telephone as you can benefit from the advantage offer. This includes unlimited wifi, a late checkout time, 10% discount from your food and more. Please also feel free to view our Romance packages, including various special touches, the Romance packages ensure that your experience is extra special.

With Kind Regards,
Cherry Knaggs-Shaw / Customer Services.
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed at the crown spa on the 17th august for my nanas 80th was fantastic the hotel was immaculate and clean staff couldn't do enough for us! We had a separate dining area for our meal with candles balloons name cards all for my nana!! The staff also brough my son out some bread while his meal was coming to keep him occupied as he's only 11 months!!
The bedrooms were lovely and In my nanas room she had chocolates waiting for her on her bed she was well impressed!! Would def stay hear again :) thank you for a great time :)

1 Thank Vicky S
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I am delighted that your Nana had a wonderful birthday and enjoyed the treats we had placed in the room. I do hope that you bring her back to the Crown for her future birthdays.

Derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Went for a short, midweek break with the kids. The service was excellent, the food lovely and the rooms were a fairly high standard for a hotel of this age. The only thing that went wrong with our stay was that the smoke alarm went off at 2am, scaring the children to death. I realise that things happen in life, but no apology from any member of staff??? Strange and let the experience down.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I am always delighted when a customer leaves the hotel having enjoyed their stay.

I am extremely sorry that you were inconvenienced with the fire alarm but delighted that it is fully working, unfortunately once inconsiderate guest smoking in his bedroom created a disturbance for the rest of our customers. We did place a notice on reception and in the restaurant apologising for the disturbance.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed Monday to Thursday this week and didn't mind the steep walk down to the front but could be very difficult for some. We didn't have breakfast as it seemed very expensive for one adult and one child nearly £23.
We were given a double room to share witch was ok as my daughter only 7 but wouldn't have wanted to do it for any longer than 3 nights. I was frozen the first night as only 2 thin sheets on bed (I know its supposed to be summer) . I looked in wardrobe but didn't find any spare sheets to add to the bed, I asked the next day and was given an extra well needed blanket. We didn't have a fantastic view just a roof top of the hotel which was a little disappointing.
We used the pool witch was really nice but very dated and children aren't aloud to use many of the facilities even within time restrictions.
We ate at the restaurant twice on a night and even though the staff very friendly the first night had to ask for my bill twice and the 2nd night 3 times as it was incorrect!

1 Thank Michelle C

The hotel was built in 1845 and when we designed the pool area we decided to use a Victorian theme with Victorian reproduction tiles so I will agree that that it does look dated but this was intentional. Due to health and safety restriction children the age of your daughter unfortunately are unable to use the saunas and steam rooms.

My sincere apologies for the issues with regards to the wait and errors on your bill, the hotel is extremely busy over the summer months but the bill should have been correct.

David Chambers Operations Manager