“Best hotel rooms in the UK, great service”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
West Yorkshire, UK
“Best hotel rooms in the UK, great service”
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I organised an overnight stay and conference facilities at this hotel in February 2010. We paid for sea view rooms but, as the hotel was quiet, were upgraded to the newly-refurbished Penthouse suites.

The rooms were large, well furnished and had extra little touches such as this month's Men's Health. The bathrooms were luxurious and all had a TV over the bath! Although stylish, there hadn't been much thought put into the practicalities of the bathrooms as the lovely cascading tap to run the bath was set at knee-height meaning you bashed into it whenever you were in the shower. One member of the party also cut his toe on the raised bath plug!

Despite the luxury I didn't sleep well as, even in February, the rooms were roasting. I was able to open the window and had turned off my radiator, but the recent upgrade (including insulation) and being on the top floor, meant that the room stayed hot all night.

The conference facilities were great. I had everything I'd requested with coffee and freshly-baked buns at the times I'd specified. If I'm going to be picky there was no decaff coffee, which is a problem for me as I've not drunk caffeine for six years. A wide range of fruit teas was available as a decaff option if you're into that sort of thing. Decaff coffee was at least available at breakfast.

The food was good. Breakfast was top quality, service was attentive and the staff were prepared to have a bit of banter with you. The lunch was a hot meal with both meat and vegetarian options available even though we had no vegetarians in the party. This was a nice touch. The main course was followed by a lovely cheesecake.

All of the staff I encountered were pleasant and willing to help. They had a discount voucher for a local restaurant which we'd booked into and gave that to us so we could save - a lovely touch. The night porter even saw the funny side when one of my colleagues locked himself out of his room in the middle of the night without any clothes on. (You know who you are!)

The hotel is central enough to access on foot. We travelled by train and it was a 10 minute walk from the station. It was around 10 minutes to get into the centre of Scarborough, either via the beach or on the footpath.

I understand there was a gym, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room along with a pool. I didn't get chance to use these myself but didn't hear any negative comments.

My colleagues agreed that, by far, these were the best hotel rooms they'd stayed in in the UK. We would happily return, especially if work is paying! Would I spend my own money on this hotel? Probably not, but only because it's in Scarborough - which I'm not keen on returning to. Pick it up and put it somewhere else, and I'd be sorely tempted.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2010
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking your time to write this wonderful review. We are so pleased that you and your colleagues found the hotel to be the best you have stayed in.

It is extremely rewarding to receive such praise of our staff, services and accommodation as we have all worked very hard to ensure we are the best hotel in the area.

In regards to the decaff coffee being included in the delegate packages, we are looking to add this to the refreshment breaks for conferencing in the future.

Secondly, if you have the opportunity to stay at the hotel again please take advantage of the Health club and pool facilities which would help you to relax after a hard days work.

Finally, thank you again for your kind words. The review will be very useful for informing potential customers about the hotel and the services we offer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Polish first
North Lincs
Reviewed 7 February 2010

My husband & I lead stressful lives, so when we go away for short breaks we like to ensure that they will tick all the boxes as far as relaxation are concerned. The Crown Spa Hotel looked to tick all those boxes. In fact we were advised by the hotel to change our reservation to the following week, than when we intended to stay, because of a large party which would cause the hotel to be noisy. When we arrived we were very impressed with the service, our penthouse room lived up to expectations, and the health and leisure facilities were first class. The culinary expertise from the chef in the restaurant was worthy of the highest of accolades. Everything was set for a memorable weekend....until we came out of the restaurant to what can only be described as absolute bedlam. A large party of visitors had taken over the lounge and bar area, and were obviously intending to party on. When I complained to the Duty Manager, Phillipe, about the noise which included a man standing up and doing the "one Cornetto" version of O Sole Mio,children running around unchecked and chairs being moved into an encampment, I found out that this was an annual visit of the same group. I could see from the look on the faces of other residents that we were not the only people who were not amused. It eventually got to the stage where we had to take our drinks to our room. The following morning the same party set about decorating the foyer for a fancy dress party which included ghosts, cobwebs, spiders, tombsones etc. We spoke to the Office Manager who assured us that the group would be using one of the function suites for the party that evening, but she could not prevent them from using the lounge that evening if they chose to. Luckily although the group did come in and out of the lounge area, we decided to stay longer in the restaurant, and the evening was much more quiet. All it would have needed on the first night was a discreet word with the organisers, to ask them to be aware of the needs of other residents. So make sure you check that there are no large organised groups staying, because it would seem that their needs take precedence over single bookings. A real shame, but one which we will not repeat. erba tthat we s

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_SNorthLincs
TAMWORTH
Reviewed 4 February 2010

As a solo traveler i though i might feel intimadated on my own, but the minute i walked through the door of this hotel, the receptionist was really nice which put me as easy straight away, the gentleman who offer to take my bags to the room was really pleasant and all my contact with all the staff was the same, when you rang room service the person who answered the phone was helpful and chatty. Excellent customer service. The room lovely with plenty of room so was the bathroom. It is a really lovely hotel with lovely staff would recommed to all it will not disappoint it any way.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank siamese2009
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2010
Wow! What a wonderful review. We are pleased that you were made to feel welcome and comfortable by the staff here.

It is very rewarding to hear that the staff have been very attentive and helpful which is all part of the Crown Spa Experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your room; all of which have been recently refurbished.

We thank you again for your kind comments and hope to see you at the hotel again soon.
leeds
Reviewed 27 January 2010

we stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights and myself and my partner were very happy with our stay. we stayed in one of the comfort rooms and couldnt believe how large and luxurious the rooms were. i especially loved the bathroom that had funky lighting in it and a contemporary bathroom suite. we also made full use of the spa facilities and really enjoyed every minute of it. we both came back refreshed and im desperate to visit again soon! i really cant praise this hotel enough.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
I would like to say a big thank you for taking your time to rigt this wonderful review. It is great that you and your partner had a relaxing and rejuvenating experience here at the Crown; and took full advantage of the spa facilitites.

We have spent much time developing the bedrooms and bathrooms including a lighting concept which is fantastic that you enjoyed the room.

Thanks again for the fantastic review and we hope that you can stay again soon.
york
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We have just returned - only a few hours ago - from an overnight stay at the Crown Spa and are busy trying to coerce parents into babysitting again so we can go back. I can't recommend it highly enough. Still scarred from the Travelodge in Dorking fiasco I always expect the worst but this hotel has gone some way to restoring my faith in British Hotels. The staff are polite, courteous - I have never until today been asked if I need help with my luggage - and helpful. Guests are provided with a parking permit that allows you to park on the surrounding streets. And then the rooms....wow! They are elegant yet contemporary, spotlessly clean and fixtures and fittings are of a very high standard. We had a TV in the bath! Aero hot chocolate in the complimentary tea and coffee tray! Robes in the bathroom! A better hairdryer than my one at home! When we made to down to the swimming pool and spa retreat we were just as impressed. Included in the price was full use of the the leisure facilities and spa. We swam, had a jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and aroma room then started from the beginning all over again. I know I sound over-excited, but when you have small children and don't get to go out that much, let alone stay out all night then a break like this is worth it's weight in gold. To spend twenty four hours in the lap of luxury without having to keep shouting "Stop hitting him with the wii remote" was absolute bliss. I cannot fault it, just highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2010
WOW! What a wonderful review! We are so pleased that you were able to come to the Crown and have such a fantastic overnight stay. It sounds like you have a had a much deserved rest and recuperation.

Thank you for your kind comments it is extremely rewarding for the hotel and staff to receive such high praise.

We hope that you can book that second night away; see if we continue to exceed your expectations. Why not try a spa treatment such as a massage to really help you feel totally relaxed. We thank you again for your fantastic review!
Scarborough
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We live locally and normally go away for xmas, but this year decide to stay at home "Scarborough". We looked around various hotels and narrowed the field down to Crown Spa Hotel and Parm Court Hotel, picking the Crown Spa basically for its better location and also it is a 4 star hotel.
The following is a brief summary of positive and negative comments
POSITIVE
Room clean tidy cofortable.
Room serviced each day.
No problems with heating and hot water.
Bar staff were great very helpfull, Friendly, nothing was too much trouble.
Location fantastic full view of the bay.
Negatives
Parking, no parking facilities except on main street this is catered for by handing out long stay parking tickets. also this could mean a short walk from hotel to vehicle.
First night there restaraunt staff ok the following 2 nights were abysmal
The service was very poor, Having taken our order we had to wait a considerable time before being served This occurred with every course, I had to ask to be served the sweet course it took so long. I had to ask for water which I think should have been the delivered as soon as we sat at the table.
The plates had not been pre warmed, the food was luke warm, we were served a different soup to what we ordered and when the correct soup was brought it was cold.
The food had no taste and was overpowered by the addtion of spices.
Xmas day lunch food tasted as if it had been cooked day before and reheated.
Breakfast It was supposed to be a full english breakfast but there was no toast.
They provided a pot of coffee that only contained enough for half a cup each and was luke warm.
Overall dining was a disaster, so much so that we checked out without having breakfast. My personal opinion from observation was that the staff were dissorganised had no leadership and had no visual awareness of state of completion of eating by guests.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hurricane2
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
Please find below the response i sent immediately upon receiving your letter of complaint.

May I first of all say how thank you for the positive comments you have made and say how sorry I am to hear that you were disappointed after your recent visit to The Crown Spa Hotel.

After reading your letter I have met with the staff that heads of each department within the hotel to asses the issues brought up in your letter. First of all I would like to point out that 10 minutes between courses is not classed as unacceptable and is an average of what is expected, many of our customers request even longer between courses as to enjoy the dinning experience.

All plates are stored in an heated cabinet and pulled out just before service on enquiring with the chef what had happened the only explanation I can give is that freshly washed colder plates had been placed on top of hot plates. As for the food being only Luke warm I find this totally unacceptable and do wish it had been brought to my attention or to the attention of the restaurant manager at the time the issue occurred and it would have been dealt with immediately, as I am sure you will agree little can be done to correct the issue after the event.

Yours is the first letter of complaint that I have received that states the food was tasteless and over powered with spices and on the whole have received very positive feedback with regards to the food that was served over the Christmas period.

More coffee is readily available for guests and toast isn’t served at the table it is self service on the buffet, however we do clearly state on the menu that full table service can be provided at the request of the customer. This standard has been accepted by the assessing bodies AA and Visit Britain and is common practice throughout the industry

We do thank you for your comments and wish to inform you that we take
LEICS
Reviewed 10 January 2010

The Hotel was very nice and the staff are very polite and helpful, they needed to, because the entertainment was the same each evening we were there, and also during our stay 3 out of 5 of our party along with over 30% of the rest of the guests were ill for 24 hours with a sickness bug!! the staff eventually put out Antibacterial hand gel(in my opinion too late!!)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam G
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2010
May I first of all say how sorry I am to hear that you were unwell during your recent visit to The Crown Spa Hotel.

There are several viruses that are causing problems not only in Scarborough, but also throughout Yorkshire and the Nation. Norvirus, Swine Flue plus the latest twenty four hour winter Virus, all giving similar symptoms. It has since been confirmed by Environmental health that a large number of reported cases over the festive holidays throughout the town and Nationally was in fact the twenty four hour winter virus.

This is an airborne virus that can be caught by interaction with the general public and obviously not caused by the hotel, so we cannot accept any responsibility for you or anyone else that may have been unfortunate enough to become ill.

Environmental Health has visited the Crown and were are happy that the procedures in place are of a high standard, they also concur that the virus was obviously airborne and passed from customer to customer

I hope that the New Year now finds you all fit and well and do thank you for your comments and wish to inform you that we take all of our customer’s comments very seriously and use them to help us with future developments and procedures within the hotel.