“Should be 5 Star”

The Crown Spa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We booked this hotel for our friends birthday. We had looked on Trip Advisor after we had booked and felt a bit apprehensive as there were some mixed reviews. However when we arrived at the hotel, we were truly impressed and could help thinking that surely the people who had left negative comments must have stayed in another hotel!. On arrival we entered the hotel through the back entrance where the Spa was as we had parked at the back. Please note that there is no parking at the hotel. However this is not a problem as we were able to find a parking space and immediately on arrival at the Spa reception the Receptionist presented us with a parking permit with no hesitation for the duration of our stay. We made our way to the hotel lobby which was very impressive. Very clean and beautifully decorated. We were checked in without delay. The Hotel Receptionist was very informative about the facilities and very friendly. When we got to our rooms (we stayed on the 4th floor) they had been recently renovated. My most exciting moment was finding that I could watch television in the bath. The rooms and bathroom were well thought out and again beautifully decorated. We dropped off our bags and headed for the Spa. All you could want for relaxation. We didn't book a treatment as just wanted to relax and that is exactly what we did. Fully equiped to allow that to happen. In the evening we had booked a table in the Taste Restaurant. The service and food was first class. We had breakfast the next morning which was buffet style, but fresh and hot and plenty of choice. Overall we found the hotel, restaurant and Spa staff to be friendly and efficient. I would recommend if anyone wanted a special stay or relaxation weekend get it booked without hesitation. I know i will be booking to go again in the very near future.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2010

Thank you for taking your time to write this wonderful review, it sounds like you have had a great time. We are glad that you have appreciated the décor and ambience of the hotel.

Over the past few years the hotel has undergone major refurbishments throughout including the Penthouse floor. It is great to know that you have been able to enjoy the room, especially the bathroom with TV, which is definitely a special feature.

It is great that you took full advantage of all the facilities here, it is extremely rewarding to receive such high praise. We hope to see you here again, why not treat yourself to a full spa experience if you return.

We hope to see you here again soon. Thank you for your kind words this review will be very helpful in explaining the services we offer.

Reviewed 12 February 2010

My friend and I stayed for a mini break (b&b) - Christmas treat. And - what a treat it was. From the moment we booked in til the moment we sadly had to book out it was an absolutely fabulous experience. B&B included the use of all the fabulous facilities - gym, pool, saunas, jacuzz, restaurant, bar etc (which we took full advantage of). We cannot praise the staff enough - from reception, to restaurant, bar, Spa facilities, gym personnel, even the "handy man" were so friendly and helpful - nothing was too much bother. The room was really comfortable (tv, twin bed etc,) with a gorgeous view of the beach, which was stunning - even in the chill of February. The ambiance of the bathroom was a wonderful suprise - again, we didn't want to leave the room !! The choice of menu, either from the main restuarants or the bar was excellent - extremely good value for money. The walk down to the harbour was exilerating. The only downside was that we were only there for 2 nights - next time we'll definitely stay longer.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends

Wow! What a wonderful review. It is very rewarding to receive such high praise, we are so glad that our staff were very friendly, approachable and accommodating. Customer service is something we take very seriously here and we are always striving to go that step further with our service levels.

We are glad that you found the room and bathroom to be very relaxing and you were able to enjoy the superb views. Thanks again for taking your time to write this wonderful review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2010

As soon as my partner and i arrived at the hotel we were more then pleased, the reception area was beautiful even though there was a large group of party goers which did not put us off at all... all the staff we spoke to were very pleasant and polite. We had booked a romance package which was everything i thought it would be and so much more, the back massage which was offered to us through our package is a definate must if you are in need of ultimate relaxation. Our superior double room was just perfect the only down fall to this was the overwhelming heat. I would definatley visit again and plan to do so nearer to the end of the year, i would also recommend eating in the Cafe bar there T.C.S.H Burger was delicious and the warm chocolate brownies with vanilla ice cream was something out of this world, although a little on the large side so dont order on a full stomach but it is definatley a MUST!! A very pleasant and enjoyable stay.. we WILL be rebooking shortly

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

We would like to say a big thank you for taking your time to write this fantastic review. It is extremely rewarding to receive such praise of our staff, services and accommodation, it is very important to us that each customer receives the full Crown Spa experience from arrival through to departure.

We would be delighted if you would come and stay with us again. Thank you again for your kind words and we will hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2010

I organised an overnight stay and conference facilities at this hotel in February 2010. We paid for sea view rooms but, as the hotel was quiet, were upgraded to the newly-refurbished Penthouse suites.

The rooms were large, well furnished and had extra little touches such as this month's Men's Health. The bathrooms were luxurious and all had a TV over the bath! Although stylish, there hadn't been much thought put into the practicalities of the bathrooms as the lovely cascading tap to run the bath was set at knee-height meaning you bashed into it whenever you were in the shower. One member of the party also cut his toe on the raised bath plug!

Despite the luxury I didn't sleep well as, even in February, the rooms were roasting. I was able to open the window and had turned off my radiator, but the recent upgrade (including insulation) and being on the top floor, meant that the room stayed hot all night.

The conference facilities were great. I had everything I'd requested with coffee and freshly-baked buns at the times I'd specified. If I'm going to be picky there was no decaff coffee, which is a problem for me as I've not drunk caffeine for six years. A wide range of fruit teas was available as a decaff option if you're into that sort of thing. Decaff coffee was at least available at breakfast.

The food was good. Breakfast was top quality, service was attentive and the staff were prepared to have a bit of banter with you. The lunch was a hot meal with both meat and vegetarian options available even though we had no vegetarians in the party. This was a nice touch. The main course was followed by a lovely cheesecake.

All of the staff I encountered were pleasant and willing to help. They had a discount voucher for a local restaurant which we'd booked into and gave that to us so we could save - a lovely touch. The night porter even saw the funny side when one of my colleagues locked himself out of his room in the middle of the night without any clothes on. (You know who you are!)

The hotel is central enough to access on foot. We travelled by train and it was a 10 minute walk from the station. It was around 10 minutes to get into the centre of Scarborough, either via the beach or on the footpath.

I understand there was a gym, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room along with a pool. I didn't get chance to use these myself but didn't hear any negative comments.

My colleagues agreed that, by far, these were the best hotel rooms they'd stayed in in the UK. We would happily return, especially if work is paying! Would I spend my own money on this hotel? Probably not, but only because it's in Scarborough - which I'm not keen on returning to. Pick it up and put it somewhere else, and I'd be sorely tempted.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking your time to write this wonderful review. We are so pleased that you and your colleagues found the hotel to be the best you have stayed in.

It is extremely rewarding to receive such praise of our staff, services and accommodation as we have all worked very hard to ensure we are the best hotel in the area.

In regards to the decaff coffee being included in the delegate packages, we are looking to add this to the refreshment breaks for conferencing in the future.

Secondly, if you have the opportunity to stay at the hotel again please take advantage of the Health club and pool facilities which would help you to relax after a hard days work.

Finally, thank you again for your kind words. The review will be very useful for informing potential customers about the hotel and the services we offer.

Reviewed 7 February 2010

My husband & I lead stressful lives, so when we go away for short breaks we like to ensure that they will tick all the boxes as far as relaxation are concerned. The Crown Spa Hotel looked to tick all those boxes. In fact we were advised by the hotel to change our reservation to the following week, than when we intended to stay, because of a large party which would cause the hotel to be noisy. When we arrived we were very impressed with the service, our penthouse room lived up to expectations, and the health and leisure facilities were first class. The culinary expertise from the chef in the restaurant was worthy of the highest of accolades. Everything was set for a memorable weekend....until we came out of the restaurant to what can only be described as absolute bedlam. A large party of visitors had taken over the lounge and bar area, and were obviously intending to party on. When I complained to the Duty Manager, Phillipe, about the noise which included a man standing up and doing the "one Cornetto" version of O Sole Mio,children running around unchecked and chairs being moved into an encampment, I found out that this was an annual visit of the same group. I could see from the look on the faces of other residents that we were not the only people who were not amused. It eventually got to the stage where we had to take our drinks to our room. The following morning the same party set about decorating the foyer for a fancy dress party which included ghosts, cobwebs, spiders, tombsones etc. We spoke to the Office Manager who assured us that the group would be using one of the function suites for the party that evening, but she could not prevent them from using the lounge that evening if they chose to. Luckily although the group did come in and out of the lounge area, we decided to stay longer in the restaurant, and the evening was much more quiet. All it would have needed on the first night was a discreet word with the organisers, to ask them to be aware of the needs of other residents. So make sure you check that there are no large organised groups staying, because it would seem that their needs take precedence over single bookings. A real shame, but one which we will not repeat. erba tthat we s

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs_SNorthLincs
Reviewed 4 February 2010

As a solo traveler i though i might feel intimadated on my own, but the minute i walked through the door of this hotel, the receptionist was really nice which put me as easy straight away, the gentleman who offer to take my bags to the room was really pleasant and all my contact with all the staff was the same, when you rang room service the person who answered the phone was helpful and chatty. Excellent customer service. The room lovely with plenty of room so was the bathroom. It is a really lovely hotel with lovely staff would recommed to all it will not disappoint it any way.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank siamese2009
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2010

Wow! What a wonderful review. We are pleased that you were made to feel welcome and comfortable by the staff here.

It is very rewarding to hear that the staff have been very attentive and helpful which is all part of the Crown Spa Experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your room; all of which have been recently refurbished.

We thank you again for your kind comments and hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2010

we stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights and myself and my partner were very happy with our stay. we stayed in one of the comfort rooms and couldnt believe how large and luxurious the rooms were. i especially loved the bathroom that had funky lighting in it and a contemporary bathroom suite. we also made full use of the spa facilities and really enjoyed every minute of it. we both came back refreshed and im desperate to visit again soon! i really cant praise this hotel enough.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
CrownRep, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2010

I would like to say a big thank you for taking your time to rigt this wonderful review. It is great that you and your partner had a relaxing and rejuvenating experience here at the Crown; and took full advantage of the spa facilitites.

We have spent much time developing the bedrooms and bathrooms including a lighting concept which is fantastic that you enjoyed the room.

Thanks again for the fantastic review and we hope that you can stay again soon.