“El Gringo's”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of El Gringo's

El Gringo's
Ranked #99 of 352 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Groups, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“El Gringo's”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Visited last night, the staff were very friendly and accomodating, we arrived with no booking the restaurant was extremely busy but the maitre d rang a customer who had booked but were late to ask if they were coming, as a result we got a table very promptly. Our waitress was a little dizzy but pleasant. The food was quite good, I had Steak Diablo, which was cooked to perfection, but was suprised to be given a heat option on the sauce, my partner had the Mayan sizzling seafood which was also cooked perfectly, what let the meal down was the frozen packet wedges and what appeared to be an uncle bens packet Mexican rice.
The bill came at the end and I was shocked to find the drinks had cost almost as much as the meals! I had a couple of standard lagers, Carling I think, my partner had a glass of house white, then a spritzer which had very little wine in it, when we asked the waitress to sort it out we were given a fresh glass of wine which I was charged for, hence the dizzy comment.
Overall the food prices were reasonable, the drinks were extortionate, the atmosphere was great, our waitress was a bit dippy.
Would I go here again? Probably not.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Give it a miss”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I don't normally write reviews but on this i felt compelled to.
We dined as a party of eight and ordered starters they were the best part, Re The main two of us ordered the fillet steak medium rare before it came the waitress said they had no fillet but we could have sirloin a cheaper cut. we agreed the steak was not very hot and was medium the chips were very dry and shriveled up not tasty at all. when one person complained about the steak they apologized and took it away they asked if she wanted it redone but she declined they offered her a drink instead again this was declined so they said they would not charge for the steak.
Different people left at different times and paid there portion of the bill when we finally left we thought the remainder of the bill was high but paid it and left with the bill.
upon inspection of the bill we found that we had been charged half the price of a fillet steak that was in fact a sirloin, that was sent back and we were told would be removed from the bill, and full price of a fillet that was a sirloin.
Cheating your customers in this way is disgraceful

1 Thank jesterpv
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've been here four times in total now, three times this year and once a couple of years ago. I think the service here is absolutely spot on! The staff are so friendly. The service overall is fast, but not so fast that you feel rushed, which is good. The food itself has always been delicious! The portions are maybe a little bigger than other restaurant portions, but it's fantastic food, so I don't mind so much. The prices are low for what you get, so it's brilliant value for money for families and those with a lower budget. Also, on Tuesdays, as I'm a student, me and my boyfriend can get 50% off our order, which is even better, so it's a great place to go for a cheap night out with a cheerful atmosphere and great food! I recommend it to everyone that I know, and I definitely intend to keep going back!

1 Thank Becky K
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Super Portions & Value”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Massive portions and great value special offers and discounts if you order before 6pm, cocktails and beer buckets great atmosphere on the seafront. Visited a couple of times and always busy but staff always attentive and organised. Cheap tea.

Filey, United Kingdom
“Impromptu visit for ribs.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We fancied some ribs so have a surf around for our nearest restaurant. We found El Gringo and decided to give it a try. We both ordered Steak and Ribs combo and it came with curly fries, colesaw, salad garnish and corn cob. The ribs were beautifully cooked but could have done with been a little warmer, all the other food on the plate was perfectly cooked and up to temperature so it was noticeable that the ribs were only part warmed though. The steak was cooked just as we asked for and we both had clean plates. I would go again and I would order the ribs again but I would ask for them to be cooked or warmed a little longer than these were.

• Visited June 2014