“SUPERB EVENING OUT WITH FINE DINING”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rice & Spice

Rice & Spice
Ranked #30 of 352 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Scarborough
“SUPERB EVENING OUT WITH FINE DINING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

This was our third visit to this restaurant. On the previous two occasions I gave it 4/5 as the meals and service were excellent but not enough to earn 5/5. Last night was simply superb. My wife's meal was most enjoyable but my meal was out-of-this-world. I had the Chicken Thali and I have to say without question it was one of the finest meals I have ever eaten.The meal was quite large probably too large for me as my appetite is not what it was. There was the basic "curry" serving with ample rice and many small containers of vegetable and fruit etc. There were elements of "hotness" with the meal. I do not normally like "hot" meals but it was not enough to burn my throat and tastebuds. However, there was so much sweet accompaniments that my tasebuds were probably dancing around. The meal in common with other meals I have eaten at this restaurant has an absolute abundance of flavours. I am no gourmet or chef and I do not know what the flavours are but this eating experience was wonderful. I could not eat any more after my main meal but my wife had a dessert. She had Wattilappam which looked to have been freshly made. This traditional Sri Lankan dessert will now be my wife's must have course whenever we go back. This restaurant is head and shoulders above the normal Asian restaurant and I thoroughly recommend it.

4 Thank YorkshireFellow

Tamworth
“A real Jem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

What a wonderful place, the staff could not have been more helpful or more friendly, 2 of our party had Thali and 2 of us had a normal curry, it certainly was the best curry any of us had eaten and the staff were so welcoming I would recomend this restaurant to anyone.

Surrey
“Great food, shame about the rest.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

We'd booked our table for 8.45pm and we had to sit outside for 10 mins. No major problem but when we did sit down and order the food took 50 mins to arrive. Nobody came and spoke to us until we had our food. Then we had the young waiting staff circling the table every 5 mins trying to take plates away that we hadn't finished with.

The restaurant was tiny so no excuse.

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Simply fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I cannot praise The Curry Leaf enough. A fantastic small restaurant - very good service, friendly staff and excellent food! I've not eaten in a Sri Lankan restaurant before and so gladly took the staff up on their offer of menu selection. We tried the Lamb Thali - and I must say it was great. The restaurant is very near the Stephen Joseph Theatre. Do think of it for your pre theatre meal - or whenever in Scarborough. I would definitely go again!

London, United Kingdom
“Great food, atmosphere & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

What a nice little find. Tucked away off the road, is this small Sri Lankan Restaurant.

Nice selection of fish, meat or vegetarian dishes to choice from. The service was relaxed but professional, food flowed out of the kitchen evenly without haste or waiting.

The restaurant is small maybe only 30 odd covers, so I would guess booking would be essential on Friday & Saturdays. We went on a Sunday night with a party of 4, had a selection of fish and vegetarian dishes, all were prepared well and presented.

Surprisingly was the final bill, much cheaper than what you would expect to pay for such good food & service.

We would highly recommend this one.