“Canny little Guest House”

The Phoenix Guest House
Ranked #80 of 184 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Myself, partner and 5 year old stopped at the Phoenix Guest House last week for 1 night before leaving early the next morning to spend the day at Flamingo Land. It is very clean and not a bad little Guest house and I would recommend it, although in the spirit of trip advisor I would like to point out a few small issues.
We were put in room 3 which is very small for a family room. I was told in an email by Jennifer the landlady (who is lovely by the way) when booking we had been booked into the larger of the 2 family rooms with a separate connecting room for our daughter. I'm not sure if that room had been double booked or if someone had booked into the smaller connecting room last minute but we did not get that bigger family room. Whatever the reason was it would have been nice if it had been explained and I actually would not have minded at all. I didn't want to complain as I'm not one for complaining really. And as mentioned we were only staying for 1 night anyway. I may be wrong and room 3 may be the bigger of the 2 family rooms. If it is I'd hate to see the smaller one. The room we did get was very small although as previously mentioned it was clean and did the job and we had a good nights sleep. The ensuite bathroom was so small I couldn't close the door for my knees whilst sitting on the toilet. This slightly upset my partner !! Although there was some air freshener spray provided. I must add I am 6ft 5inch tall so not everyone may have this problem. The biggest issue we had was the noise coming from the plumbing in the room next door (or maybe it was above??). When they flushed the toilet the noise was ridiculous and the pipes in the walls shook. It was so loud I actually found it quite funny although my partner was less amused. Thankfully the people in that room didn't use the toilet overnight because when they did use it in the morning it woke us all up immediately.............and I laughed !!! We didn't have breakfast as we left early for Flamingo Land and got a lovely bacon roll from a sarny shop down the road. Overall I would recommend that people stay here for short stays although it may get a bit claustrophobic for a longer stay!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Phoenix Guest House

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Great stay. Located near Peasholm Park and North Bay Resort. Jenny is very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were spotless. Cleaned both days we stayed. Did not have the breakfast but it is rated 5 for hygiene. Overall fantastic stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Really can't fault the Phoenix at all, came for three nights and had a great time, everything about this place is excellent. The staff and landlady were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, the rooms were clean and comfortable. Food was great in the mornings and we were even able to request a packed lunch for a picnic in Peasholm Park which was nearby. Good location too, near the park and can either hop on an open top bus into town or walk down along the sea front. If we come back to Scarborough again this is where we'll be staying for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days on a short break with my boyfriend. Room was clean, staff were pleasant, breakfast was lovely and we even had a packed lunch for our picnic in the park. Could not fault the place. Fantastic value for money we will definitely be returning here very soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I found this hidden gem on trip advisor and booked a short break on the recommendations I had read and was not dissapointed. Jenny the Landlady was lovely and could'nt do enought for you. All the comments were true from the free car parking to the fantastic breakfast and ensuite rooms and central location. But dont take my word for it go and see for yourself like my wife and I did (if you can get booked that is). Thanks again Jenny and we hope to see you on our next trip to Scarborough.

Room Tip: We were in Room 5 in the top floor which was in the extended part of the building and secluded from...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller186520
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed for two nights, bed only. It was exceptionally clean and comfortable. It's in a great location, quiet but still close to the Park and a short walk from the beach. We'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My family and I stayed here for two nights recently. The very clean and comfortable rooms had private toilets, showers and flat screen TV's with Freeview plus a good supply of tea, coffee and biscuits.

Breakfast options available were brilliant. Breakfast ranged from cereals, fruit and yogurt right through to full English breakfast using bacon and sausages sourced from the local butcher. They even catered for one family member who has a gluten free diet.

Upon arrival we received a warm welcome and were provided with free parking permits which must be displayed when parking outside the B&B.

The beech and town centre are within walking distance but there is also a convenience shop, restaurant, fish & chip and a coffee shop about 200 meters down the road.

This really is a wonderful B&B and I would happily stay here again.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms 5 & 6 were both quieter rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family