“Life's a Beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Full Surfing Kit Rental in Scarborough
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Learn how to surf and have surfing lessons at Dexters Surf School, an Surfing GB accredited surf school, located at Scarborough North Yorkshire. Operating from Scarborough's North Bay, Dexter's Surf Shop, School & Hire Centre provides surf lessons, surf hire, hardware, accessories and clothing to surfers and beach goers across Scarborough and UK. Opened in 2011 the surf shop has 30 combined years of experience in the surfing craft. Lessons are provided by highly qualified ASI accredited instructors holding surf rescue and first aid qualifications. Dexters Surf School offers group and private surfing lessons, beginner to intermediate surfing certificate courses, surfing awareness, for kids, adults, parties, girls only, hens and stags groups, kids parties, youth groups, kids summer camps and corporates. We can accommodate for larger groups for school groups, stag / hen parties, birthday parties and corporate events! The surf shop stocks a wide range of hardware and clothing. Both shelf surfboards and custom boards are available so you can be sure to get the right gear to suit your surfing style and ability. Our location for learning to surf in Scarborough takes some beating. North Bay, one of the 2 cleanest beaches in Yorkshire, is a beautiful relaxing beach with plenty of parking and refreshments, and our iconic seaside chalets. It is also recognised as one of the safest beaches in the area, being lifeguarded May-September by RNLI beach lifeguards. We are the closest surf school to the beach for surf lessons all year round, and also we are the biggest surf school in the area to have a base right on the beach offering you secure storage, changing facilities and Hot showers.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Life's a Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

What a great shop staffed by lovely people who really want you to enjoy what North Bay has to offer. We spent a few days in Scarborough this summer and were very well looked after with hire boards, and canoes of various types and then we bought two expoy surfboards on a great deal as the surf had popped up and my boys were keen to try. Damn me, they could do it after a couple of hours of trying (I think it's their lower centre of gravity ... or guts ... or skill .... - OK so I wasn't that good!) Prices at the shop are good and the support you will get form the team is second to none I know. 5 Stars. See you again soon, Chris, William and George.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Try something old”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I live in Scarborough so the sea is nothing new but this was the first time ive been on it under my own steam. Danny gave us a fair deal on a kayak and wet suits for the day and even let us switch to a surfboard in the afternoon. A good set up quite easy going and very welcoming. Made our break complete and filled lots of time for my daughter and me. Cheers to all at dexters. Nigel and liv.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An experience not to be missed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I booked my daughter and some of her friends into the surf school as a two session taster. They loved it so much we went back the following week for 4 more!!! Andy the instructor had the right balance of fun and instruction and all of the children had a positive experience. None of them had surfed before and despite a varied group of ages all of them were up and surfing after a few hours. It's tiring, but the kids loved it and wanted more!

The guys in the shop were most accommodating, they arranged the sessions around us, fitting in around our schedules where possible. The equipment was mostly brand new and the children were kitted out with minimal fuss.
Another plus point is the shop is handily located next to a bar and cafe with ample (at a cost) on road parking close by. There are also lovely 'surf' type clothes available in the shop too!! It's a yes from me!!!!!

Visited July 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Great activity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I was persuaded by my kids to hire a wet suit and surf board feeling slightly worse for wear. Very impressed by shop and staff and once in my wet suit I was slightly nervous about the freezing cold sea........delighted to find with the boots and suit I didn't notice the temperature at all! We all had great fun messing about in the surf for an hour and it was the highlight of our trip.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Paddle Boarding Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I spent the weekend in Scarborough and even though there wasn't any surf a trip into dexters surf shop sorted me out with the next best thing!
Paddle boarding. ( or SUP boards)
It didn't cost the earth, and they set me up with everything I needed, and a quick guide and how to do it!
Everyone should try it!

Thanks to the great customer service the weekend was perfect!

Visited July 2013
Luke_austin, Manager at Dexters Surf Shop, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thanks very much Abigail! Glad you had fun on the SUPs and hope you caught the bug! :) welcome back here anytime! - Dan, Dexter's Surf Shop