“An absolute disgace, should not be open and environmental health should be contacted.”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I stayed at the grand hotel for one night only, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is elderly or anyone with a young family. I was disgusted by the state of the hotel, rooms and staff. staff were not friendly or customer focused. I was staying on the lower floor -1 floor the rooms were surrounded by kitchens, and the smell was horendous and the noise was extremely loud from what we thought were the kitchen extractor fans, we were later told by night staff this was not the case. There was no TV ariel on the TV, the room was freezing cold, and so small, within 5 minutes of arriving at the hotel I complained, and requested to change rooms, I was advised there was no rooms until the next day. I demanded another room at 1am because the room was so loud and cold. we were moved to another room at 2am, this wasnt much better, with holes in the walls, damp and generally run down. I checked out the next morning after 3 hours sleep, and checked into another hotel, me and my partner also had a very upset stomach after leaving this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and would not advise taking children into this hotel, as they may become incredibly ill. My recomendtion would be for this hotel to be shut down, and environmental health to inspect the hotel from top to bottom, all rooms to be fumigated. For a lovely building like this, there should be better service, friendly staff and comfortable, warm rooms.

This hotels rooms are horrible, cold, pokey rooms, with no heating, extremely loud noises from the kitchens and horrific smells of fish and other foods this is definately not even 1 * hotel, and I definately would not recomend this to anyone.

Room Tip: do not book into this hotel at all.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nats2104
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 8 May 2011
Whilst we appreciate all comments I do feel these comments are "overly dramatic".

Due to the nature of the Victorian building all our rooms vary in shape and size and we do have 50 internal rooms. These are modern,clean and functional albeit without a window and some are located near the Kitchens. It was unfortunate that we could not move the guests to a better room at the time as we were nearly full and did our best to resolve this at the time by moving the guests. We would have gladly compensated the guests the following day. The only way to guarantee a room with a window is to upgrade to a Premier room which includes Premier dining.

We take all health & safety extremely seriously and with over 600 guests staying over this period there is no evidence that any stomach bug was caused as a direct result of the hotel; especially when the guests left within 24 hours of staying and no other guests reported any related issues.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,193)
  • Polish first
Leeds
Reviewed 5 May 2011

me do it here so ill do it at home. Take a read. Add if you want xx…………………… We stayed 29th April on the £12 for the room deal. Then another £12 on top for dinner and breakfast. Bargain....or so we thought When we first arrived we the hotel look quite beautiful to be honest, on closer inspection though the inside definately needed ALOT of work!! The stair case and the ballrooms could have been amazing on 50/60 years ago and I imagine they were Once we checked in we were told our room was downstairs which i thought seemed odd. Anyway off we went to our room there was no window, no ventilation. A TV which must have been 20 years old and a remote with the batteries falling out. Not worry we thought afterall the room was only £12. The one saving grace in the room was the Spa bath which was superb. Then though this then made the room even hotter, almost unbearable and with no ventalation or fans we simply had to get out the room! We decided to go down (sorry up) and eat about 6ish. BAD MISTAKE. We got to the canteen.. sorry restuarant and were told to sit wherever and help oursleves. Strange we thought. The food was terrible. It was like it had been sitting there all day. Now i like my food and i didnt eat it. You don't know me but trust me it has to be bad for that to happen. It was so bad we didn't even bother with pudding so went down to the beach to get an ice cream (fyi on route the bird muck down the outside stairs was gross) We then decided we would dtay at the hotel and play bingo and watch the cabaret. Can't really fault this. Kept us entertained all night and the bar staff were a treat. Bed time and we were looking forward to our breakfast............. Breakfast came and this was even worse than the dinner. Soggy toast, burnt sausages and watery scrambled egg. All in all i would never ever recommend this hotel to anybody. I will never return to Scarborough and certainly not to this hotel. Maybe with some new chefs and a lot of work this would change

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Iceman99
Due to the nature of this Victorian building all our rooms vary in shape & size and we do have 50 internal rooms. These rooms are modern, clean and functional, albeit without a window and the only way to guarantee a room with a window & seaview is to upgrade to a Premier room.
We offer all you can eat buffet style menus in our main self service restaurant due to the volume of guests (700) on a daily basis. We do have a Premier restaurant which has a more intimate envrironment and is included in the Premier upgrade.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

After reading the reviews it was with some trepidation that we arrived ready to enter our internal room. Nevertheless it was clean, tidy and comfortable with a jaccuzzi bath. Being below main level it meant the shower was really powerful and hot - brilliant. After reading the reviews, dinner was a pleasant surprise - not fine dining of course but where else can you have B&B and a four couse dinner with coffee for £27 ppn. Harbour lights restaurant has wonderul views over the bay but the windows could do with a clean. If you go, take care over what you choose in the restaurant - the sausages were not to our taste. It's a shame too that, though cheap, we couldn't get a decent glass of wine with the meal in the restaurant and corkage was the same as the cheapest wine - so what does that say about it?

The bars have only limited choices of drinks - no cocktails or surprisingly no liqueurs like Drambuie. The cocktail bar featured in the hotels literature was closed all the time and so we were forced to find bars outside.

That said the staff were brilliant - ready to help out with bus timetables, find out information for us (like if corkage was an option) and greeting us nicely. For a hotel that size it is quite surprising.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DinnerJackets
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

me and my family really enjoyed our stay at the grand, the staff were kind and helpful, food was delicious, room was comfortable but the wall's were not very sound proof and the seagulls woke up up quite early in the morning.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
NorthEngland
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I have always wanted to stay in the Grand because it is such an iconic building and I remembered it from visits to Scarborough when I was a child.
I booked a room for 3 (dinner, bed and breakfast) for only £50. I requested a sea view and received one. The room was large and the view was brilliant. The beds were comfortable and everywhere was clean. The only slight compliant was that the bathroom was cold however there was plenty ot hot water. Yes the furniture was outdated but I found that part of its charm. The hotel is being renovated well and I loved the photos of the Yorkshire cricketers. The food is basic but perectly edible and there was a reasonable choice. The restaurant overlooks the beach so again there are magnificent views. I found all the staff friendly and helpful and wonder if the reviews I have been reading relate to the same hotel.
We throughly enjoyed our stay and it was excellent value. I will certainly stay there again andahve recommended it to my friends.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank shsun
Chadderton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2011

The drive along the coast down into Scarborough bay takes your breath away. It’s a stunning resort and town, with beautiful buildings and it is very clean with a golden horse-shoe sandy bay. The place is totally mesmerizing and it takes you back to the old Victorian times in all its splendour. Just up ahead as you come into Scarborough you can see the Grand Hotel up on the headland point which made it look grand and so our excitement set in (all 7 of us). But unfortunately that soon changes as we got closer to the building and noticed its flaws. The tired brickwork, the flaking paintwork, the old windows and the shabby surroundings deflate your expectations straight away. Then we entered the reception area which was in absolute chaos. 4 coaches had just arrived and around 200 people were trying to check in. The staff had no control and it was utter chaos. In the end a member of the hotel shouted loudly that everyone should leave their cases and luggage and come back later! Charming! They handed out labels and pens and we all had to put our room numbers on them and leave. What a great start!!!! Anyways we all went off into town and had a few drinks which relaxed us before we plucked up the courage to head back to the hotel. Once back there all our luggage had been taken to our rooms which I suppose was some consolation. However the room was dirty and scruffy and I had to stand against the wall whilst my partner passed me to go to the closet.... sorry I mean ensuite which is definitely a one-person-at-a-time room! Then there’s the evening meal and breakfast.... I'm sorry reader, but I can't go on anymore and describe the shabby restaurant, rude staff and appalling food! All i can advise you is this IF YOU'RE THINKING OF STAYING HERE - DONT!!!

Room Tip: Turn back now!
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 1 May 2011
We accommodate and cater for 700 guests on a daily basis and unfortunately it is not always possible to predict when 3/4 coaches arrive at the same time.
Due to the nature of the Victorian building all our rooms do vary in shape and size and the only way to guarantee a large room with a seaview is to upgrade to a Premier Room. This also entitles you to use our Premier Restaurant which is more intimate compared to our 350 cover main, self service restaurant.
I only wish this couple had have spoken to one of the team at the time and we could have resolved any issues there and then.
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Me and my husband and our 2 girls aged 2 and 4 booked to stay for 2 nights, when we went to check in we got told they had doubled booked our turret room so they wanted to put us in 2 rooms that did not join ( now how would that work with a 2 and 4 year old) anyway we said ok and could we have a cot and travel bed and we will go in one room. We got our keys to both rooms went up to them in 6th floor opened the door to the first one it was full of someone elses suitcases and clothes so we went to next one again clothes from someone else. Went to reception they had no where else to put us so we got a refund, what we saw of the hotel and rooms we was very pleased that we got a refund and didn't have to stay there, they was small would have never got a cot in the room, the hotel is very shabby and really needs a make over also we paid for a nights parking and they wouldn't give us a refund , I would never try to book a room at this hotel again, we had a lucky escape

• Stayed April 2011