“Had a Great Time”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed at the Brittania Grand Hotel Scarborough. Had a quick break and I must say I was very impressed with the accommodation and food. The service was excellent and the staff were so friendly and helpful. All in all they couldn't do enough for you.

We went on a last minute deal and got a free bottle of wine each evening to go with it. Would definitely go back.

Great base for walking aswell.

Room Tip: Be cheeky when you arrive and ask for a free upgrade if they are not busy they will accommodate you
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine35
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I booked a weekend here in June it was a last minute weekend away and with it being half term all the good hotels were already fully booked. I was aware that The Grand have been closed down numerous times before with Ecoli outbreaks, but figured that the last time was years ago and I wanted to get away for a weekend and they had rooms going cheap so I thought what the hell lets take a risk..... BIG MISTAKE!!

I booked over the phone with the hotel 2 days before I was due to arrive and was advised that check in time was 3pm. I arrived promptly at 3pm and was rudely turned away by reception and told to come back at 4pm, there was no explanation as to why and when I protested that I had been informed that check in was 3pm I was again just told to go away until 4pm.

Arriving back at 4pm and I was shocked to meet a queue snaking round the lobby as hundreds of people all tried to check in together. I queued for an hour before finally getting to reception to try and check in. I gave my name and the woman flicked through the printed out copies of check in forms and couldn't find me, she offered some other names like I was stupid and unable to give my own name and then asked for the booking reference, unfortunately I didn't have this to hand so she told me in no uncertain terms that without a booking reference I could not check in and she dismissed me and called the next person in line.

Shocked by this I protested and asked if this meant I was unable to check in because I'd already paid and if that was the case I'd want my money back, luckily (or unluckily as it turned out) someone else on reception with a brain was able to find the booking on the computer and talk to me with some respect to get me checked in.

On arrival in the room I was pretty disappointed, it felt a bit grubby and was lacking the basics like a shower, phone etc. The room was in dire need of updating, but I guess the hotel is popular with the older generation so they might appreciate this sort of décor.

I could live with the room for a couple of nights, but the cherry on the cake was the leaflet on the pillow which was worded like a hideous sales offer asking me if I'd heard of the Norovirus because the hotel was currently suffering from a strain of it ripping through the hotel and I could catch all sorts of delights like projectile vomiting and diarrhoea... oh excellent just what I'd always wanted!!

The hotel should have informed me of this situation on arrival and offered the opportunity to get a refund, but this did not happen. This is the kind of hotel you're dealing with here, they don't really care about the customers they just want your money so will fail to fulfil their legal obligation just to get your cash.

The experience didn't get any better the food at breakfast was simply appalling, there is no fresh tea made for you there is just a flash on each table with pre-made tea in it which wasn't very warm and tasted foul. The bacon, eggs and sausages were also awful, I tried to stick to toast which was actually more like squares of cardboard, it was so bad I ended up visiting a cafe in town for a 'proper' breakfast just to fill me up!

I was so appalled with the service and the stay that I complained to the hotel along with a few thousand other people I should imagine. Initially I was pleased that the manager acknowledged how bad things were and offered some money back, however even this has been a right pain and the man I have been dealing with has failed to keep his word and when challenged has just lied to me saying things have been done when they clearly haven't.

It's this continuation of poor service and dishonesty that has led me for the first time ever to write a review on here even when I have 'eventually' received some compensation back, normally once I receive compensation I tend to feel less aggrieved, but on this occasion I'm not and feel that people need to be warned to avoid this place like the plague!!

Room Tip: Best tip I can offer is stay somewhere else! You'll enjoy it more and have less risk of getting...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Noodle4
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

While we appreciate all comments I would disagree with this gentlemans comments. We have never had "Ecoli" and clearly the guest is unhappy at not receiving compensation and feels the need to vent his frustrations.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Where do I start...me and my husband went last weekend and as we have young children, we hardly ever get tiem away or time out, so we have to really make the most of it when we do! Scarborough its self was great, but the hotel is extreemly Grand, you go up these huge steps at the front with pillars as you go to the front doors and then you enter this huge, relaxing lounge area and all rooms come off there, ie..Caberet room, terrace, reception,games room, bars and a huge, beautiful staircase leading to the rooms, we stayed on the 2nd floor and the room was simple and perhaps in the style of the 60's or something, but very clean, tidy and had everything you could need to make your stay comfortable, I have to say the shower was new and warm/hot and fast...very refreshing, better then trying to catch the drips as you do at some other hotels! the terrace was huge, all round the back of the hotel over looking the beach and sea! the views were amazing, as we sat there with drinks,looking at all of Scarborough! we were half board, so we had breakfast and dinner, again very nice and if you could beat the oldies to the breakfast/dinner room, you could be seated next to the windows again, filled with views! I have to say, we are a young couple, there were some other young couples and familes, children, babies but mostly elderly folks, but we had a great time! the staff were so helpful and friendly etc....Nial,Gary,Linzi and Kirsty at the bar and Vicky at reception...just to name a few, door security guys were lovely, cleaning staff..etc... carry on the good work folks!!!! The hotel is just a short walk to everything you need and want out of our holiday, restaurants,shops bars, beach...etc, we loved a cocktail bar just nearby, all fresh gorgeous coctails are made there with fresh Ingredients, mint, strawberries...etc! there was a young lady singing as the caberet and she moved and sang well, was nice joining in! I dont know what else to say, just dont read all the bad stuff about this friendly, beautiful hotel...its amazing, next time we go, we will take the children too. Thanks for reading my review, had to do this as we had such a great time in a great hotel, cant sell it enough...lol!!!

Room Tip: rooms are roomy and clean and comfortable, premier have the sea views though!
3  Thank diana134

Reviewed 17 July 2011

having stayed here many times before we arrived looking forward to our three day stay,our room was very nice clean and roomy,then came time for the evening meal as the hotel was quite full we expected to queue.when we finally got a table and went to the buffet we couldn't believe what we saw the food was more like a works canteen in fact i have eaten in better works canteens, no salad bar everything was well over cooked and had no taste at all having stayed here before we knew that the food used to be excellent ,
but now it was dry and bland the meat and vegatables had no taste, the next morning we went for breakfast still hoping that the night before had been just a one off, not the case, the bacon and sausage and eggs where dry and hard and the only thing that was edable was the toast, as i have said we have used this hotel before and recomended it to others but this latest visit will be our last until somebody can convince me that the food has improved to an eatable standard, sorry grand but ur not so grand anymore well at least in the kitchen area

Room Tip: room 317 twin room very nice and roomy
5  Thank cockles55

We offer "all you can eat" self service buffets overlooking the fabulous south bay of Scarborough. In addtion we do have a Premier Restaurant which offer more intimate dining with a greater selection. I only wish the guests had spoken to us at the time and we could have tried have rectified these issues.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

I and a colleague took 6 individuals with learning difficulties on a weeks holiday to The Grand. From the outside it looks very grand but on entering it it looks very dated. When we booked this holiday we specifically asked for rooms altogether so we could help one another but when we got our keys we had 3 rooms on the lower floors and one on another floor which was 2 lifts away. My colleague went to ask if we could get all the rooms together which took about 2 hours but they couldnt help us so we ended up having to get rid off one off the rooms which was no good to us and the room that was 2 lifts away had another bed put in so my colleague had to share with 3 of the individuals. The room my colleague had was very nice and had a seaview which I was jealous about as I and the 3 other individuals had the lower rooms which didnt have any natural light at all and it was like sleeping in a big cupboard and the smell down there was terrible. Because it took so long to sort out the rooms when I did eventually move our minibus it had a parking ticket on it. The food was pretty poor too especially the evening meal there was no fresh veg with any of the meals. They couldn't provide us with any trays to carry the food on so me and my colleague were up and down fetching the meals. We also found the cabaret hall was very small and we had to get in early to get a seat. I am sorry to say that I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my family to visit. All the times that I had visited Scarborough on day trips I had admired this hotel and had always wondered what it would be like to stay in but how disappointed i am.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms above ground level.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank purplepongo

Due to the nature of the Victorian building all our rooms vary in shape and size and we do have 60 internal rooms. These rooms are modern, clean and functional, albeit without a window. It was extremely unfortunate that we could not honour the guests room requests as we were full and not all room types ,i.e single, double etc are on the same floor or floors.
We offer buffet style food overlooking the stunning south bay of Scarborough and when busy queues do form and this is why we do try and allocate different times for large groups or coaches.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

I am a well traveled person.. I'd thought I had seen all the world had to offer. How wrong could I have been.The exeperience I encountered at the Grand Hotel made me think again. On arrival on the 4th July I was greeted with three lines off people trying to check in.. The word CHAOS.. Twenty five minutes later I was told I was at the wrong check in desk.. I joined another queue and success a very polite gentleman took my details and booked me in and directed me to the lift. fourty five minutes it took in total.. On finding a lift what did i encounter? Another queue... I waited paitently and made my way to my floor.. Eventualy!! another fiftheen minute wait.. The signage on the floors for the rooms left alot to be desired a mish mash of directions.. My room 2026 was nothing more than I can describe as a prison cell although a prison cell would have had windows.. a stuffy badly lit room.. at least it was clean on inspection.. I was not happy so decided to try and get a room move but that its self would be a challenge getting to reception and all them queues again..I did indeed make it back to reception to be told that the hotel was fully booked and no chance of a room move.. More rooms were available the day after though so i was content to wait until the morning so i returned to my room unhappy.. The Dinner experience was no better.. and queues.. The restarunt was nothing more than a school canteen...Although the view of Scarborough Bay was amazing..I had a rough night in my room it was to hot and stuffy a fan had been provided all it did was blow warm air about.. The following morning I went to see about my room move to be told i was to late and there was no more available that day.. I was furious demanded to see a manager.. A simperthetic guy explanded that there was no rooms available that day but i would be guaranteed the next available room the day after.. a told the gentleman i was there for six days and i insisisted to be moved.. He assured me that would be done... The following day the gentleman was not at work and nobody new of his demands... enough was enough I wanted to see the manager of the hotel... i waited ten minutes and still no sign.. again I went to the reception and asked to see a manager to be told he was buzy.. I was very unhappy nobody was listening to me.. I asked if any managers were available at that time the receptionist made a radio call and within seconds a manager appeard.. Why couldnt that have happened fifthenn minutes ago i asked myself..A nice young guy listened to my story and told me he would do what ever he could do and within minutes he promised.. He returned and told me he had me a room move and i could move within minutes and he would provide me help with movement of my luggage..He made a radio call and within seconds a porter appeard... i was over joyed at this gentlemans attitude and the resepect the staff had for him and his authority...i was moved quickly to my new room then and only then could my holiday with a room with a view could commence..Truely a Horror story with a good ending.. Mr.Philps a very big thank you and to the porter concerned aswell Martin you restored my faith a little in the Grand Hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dave4157

Due to the nature of the Victorian building all our rooms vary in shape and size and we do have 60 internal rooms. These rooms are modern, clean and functional, albeit without a window. It was unfortunate that we could not move the guest for the first few days of his stay as we were full but glad we were able to move him after two mornings. The only way to guarantee a large room with a sea view is to upgrade to a Premier room.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

After reading all the reviews (most of which were negative) we were expecting the worse of this hotel. On arrival the reception staff were brilliant pleasant and very efficient. Our room whilst not having the best view in the world which was what we anticipated for the money we paid was fine, It was clean there was always hot water available the towels were changed daily and we got a good nights sleep. The breakfast was nice but the evening meal did lack variety and was pretty much the same on the three evenings we were there. A bit more vision needed here by the Chef. As for the reports of queues to get in the dining room be assurred these were minimal and were usually caused because coach parties were all told to go to the dining room at the same time. Either on the hour or half hour, if you go down at a quarter past or quarter too there is no problem. The restaurant lady soon has you seated. We enjoyed the entertainment too. This is a big beautiful Victorian building with a fantastic staircase and stunning ceilings and has great views over the bay from the restaurants and the outside terrace bar. They also offer dancing twice a week for £2.00 entrance in the upstairs ballroom. Whilst there is no car park you can park directly outside for £6.00 per day . All the staff worked hard and were very pleasant and helpful. We can only report as we find. For the money we paid it was certainly good value. We had no problems at all with this 3 star hotel. Would we go again "yes".

Room Tip: If you want a good view pay the extra £10 for a superior room.