Grand Hotel Scarborough
The Crescent Hotel(Scarborough)
US$163
US$147
  • Breakfast included
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel(Hackness)(Great Value!)
US$134
Priceline
Very Good 4/5
Weston Hotel(Scarborough)
US$120
US$100
PremierInn.com
6,958 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 November 2011

After reading many of the reviews about The Grand Hotel in Scarborough on this website, I will admit I had my reservations and was expecting the worst. How wrong was I to be so concerned. Yes, there are a few minor details that I was concerned about but certainly nothing to ruin or spoil my stay, and I will explain these in detail at the end of this review, under the heading 'Constructive Critiscism', which is what I hope the Hotel Management will take them as.

To begin with, I had read something like 30-40 of the reviews of this hotel prior to my visit, and all of the reviews I read are negative reviews which I simply cannot agree with. What on earth do some people expect for a Hotel that is well over 100 years old and budget priced. Yes, this is a budget hotel catering for the masses, and you get what you pay for and a bit more on top as well.
I will compose my own review in bullet-form under headings to make it easier to follow, and I will start with.........

LOCATION

Could not be better on a cliff over-looking the sea with many rooms having superb views of the sea and the bay. Within a short distance of the town itself, with shopping, cafes, bars, amusement arcades etc almost on the doorstep.

HOTEL BUILDING

This hotel is housed in a very old building, dating back to, from what I was led to belive, the 1860s, so some minor problems, faults are to be expected but these 'faults', which I will mention here, certainly did not spoil my stay.
The main Entrance and Reception are certainly 'Grand', very large and spacious with plenty of seating, although I would say that some of the furniture is a tad past its sell-by date and could do with being replaced. The pastel pink and blue paintwork does not ;work' with the 'busy' red carpeting and does give this area of the Hotel its old Butlins look. But again, who spends all their time sat in a hotel reception area to let such a thing spoil their stay?.

The lifts are rather small and due to the size of the building and the number of guests, it can take some time waiting for a lift especially with the maximum three persons only rule strictly enforced. But again, I personally see this as all part of the fun in staying here.
The floor numbers go down as opposed to up, for example, the Ground Floor and Reception area is on Level 4 and you go down to your rooms as opposed to going up to them. Can take a bit of getting used to, but once again, this will, or should not spoil your stay. It did not spoil mine.

There are maps to show you where you are located in the building, but doubling the number of maps would help making finding your way around the hotel a little easier. Even a small map of the building which could be handed to you upon your arrival would be an improvement, but there are Porters who will assist you if you ask. There are fire control points, and hand-washing stations situated in various public areas of the building which is very good. I understand from reading elsewhere that the hotel has suffered from some serious health issues in the past resulting in the hotel being forced to close for a period of time, but these issues have now clearly been dealt with.

STAFF

The hotel staff I came into contact with during my stay were excellent. Very well presented in smart uniforms and very polite and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. I cannot fault the hotel staff. I was part of a group for people with learning disabilities and special needs. I was their carer/driver and one of our members was unfortunate enough to suffer a serious fall on the main hotel entrance steps, and the staff on duty went out of their way to assist me looking after my 'patient'. They even closed the main entrance doors to prevent other guests from getting in the way and staring etc. They assisted with calling an ambulance and even provided a wheelchair at no cost as the gentleman who fell broke his shoulder and was unable to use his mobility scooter for the remainder of our stay.

And a member of staff directed me to another lift when another one of my group found herself alone in the lift without me and this member suffers from panic attacks, anxiety and hypocondria.

FOOD

Contrary to the numerous adverse negative reports on this site, the food at The Grand cannot be faulted. Both breakfast and evening meals are self service buffet style and you are free to help yourself to as much or as little as you want and there is always a choice of food to choose from. Staff are on hand to assist you and will take your food to you table if you ask them.

I understand there is another restaurant where you can receive a more intimate waiter/waitress service.

The main dining hall is large, bright, clean and airy with stunning views of the bay and the sea. Meals are served in two sittings. The only 'gripe' that I had was that tea and coffee is not served at dinner time. You have to make your way to a separate lounge for that. I like my tea with my meal, not as an after dinner drink, but once again this arrangement did not spoil my stay at The Grand.

One bad 'practice' I did observe though, and I'm afraid I do have to mention this is that one of the fire exits doors from the dining room was blocked by a service trolley. I mentioned this to the dining room 'manager' and she said "we have no where else to put it", so I reported this to the hotel Manager but it looks like he ignored me as the trolley remained in situ blocking the fire exit thoughout my stay. This really is not acceptable and is a serious health and safety violation. But again, this will not deter me from staying at The Grand in future.

ROOMS

We had several rooms booked for our group, but I will only comment on the room I stayed in with one small comment on the room next door, my room - 046, and next door - 045.

I am not sure if these rooms had been refurbished, probably not, but they were what I had expected for a budget priced hotel. Small, but perfectly adequate for sleeping in. I do not spend my time hybernating in hotel rooms, I only use them for sleeping in, so I cannot agree with a lot of the complaints posted here. There was no telephone in the room, so no way of contacting Reception or to speak to anyone else in other rooms, and this did mean I had to use my own mobile, and my colleague hers, to contact one another which resulted in hefty mobile phone charges by the end of the week. I've stayed in numerous hotels in my time and this is the first hotel where there has been no telephone in the room.

The wardrobe is far too small for two people to share so we just lived out of our cases for the week. The room was reasonbly clean although the daily room cleaning/bed making was not up to my own standards. I've worked as a cleaner at Butlins and this would not be acceptable, but once again, this was nothing major and would not deter me from returning to this hotel. We had to have a meal taken up to room 045 as this was the gentleman who fell and broke his shoulder. He did not eat the meal and the tray was not removed, which I feel it should have been.

There are no smoke alarms in the rooms, or if there are, I did not see any. There was also no 'information folder', something else I have always had in other hotels I have stayed in. But overall, for a budget priced hotel, we got what we paid for and we found our rooms acceptable.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT

Although clearly geared at the more mature guest, what some reveiwers on here rudely refer to as the 'blue-rinse brigade', this was first class. There were bingo games, quizzes, ballroom style dancing - (sequence dancing) and line dancing and then a late evening cabaret. All in all the evenings spent in the hotel ballroom were extremely entertaining and myself and my group thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. First class entertainment and my own personal thanks to all those involved in putting on a great nightly show. I'm 51 but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and the applause and cheers the disabled special needs people in my group received reduced me to tears and made me feel so proud. If you are reading this, and you were staying at this hotel between the 14th and the 18th November 2011, thank you so much for your kind words.

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS (CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISCISM)

* Install an internal telephone system that will allow guests to at least contact Reception and make free room-to-room calls.

* Provide more maps of the hotel layout. These do exist but they are not enough.

* Place the Floor Number on a plaque on the wall opposite the lifts doors, so as you exit the lift, you will know you are on the correct floor. During my stay the internal LED display on the lifts I used were not working. Granted there was an automated robot voice which stated which room numbers and floors you were on, but this is of no use to deaf guests or guests that are hard of hearing.

* Provide a small leaflet style map ( a smaller version of the ones already in existance on the hotel walls), of the internal layout of the hotel to be given to guests when they check in. This is a huge building and one can easily get lost in it.

* Provide an 'Information Folder' in rooms which contain details of the hotel, fire escape procedures, details of local ammenities and attractions, details of meal times, local taxi numbers, local bus times, that sort of thing.

* Employ wine/drinks waiters for the dining room so that guests can purchase wine etc to drink with their meals, and which can be paid for on check-out. Brittania are loosing out on extra revenue due to the lack of dining room wine waiters.

* In addition to the printed text signs, for example, no more than three persons permitted to use the lifts, install 'pictorial signs' as there are people, like those in my group who cannot read or write.

* Provide facilities for guests who wish to consume tea or coffee with their meals, can do so at evening meal times and not have to move to another lounge to do so.

* Re-Locate and enlarge the Reception Check-In/Check-Out desk and employ extra reception staff. Relocating this desk so that it faces you as you enter,and not hidden in a corner to the left, would be much more inviting. Employing extra staff would solve some of the lengthy queue problems especially if two or more large coach parties are trying to check in all at the same time.

* Install smoke detectors in all guest rooms. Even if they are the basic cheap plastic smoke alarms, they would be better than no smoke alarms/detectors at all, which to be perfectly honest, for a building of this size, I am somewhat suprised that Britannia have not been reprimanded for this.

* Either provide larger wardrobes in the rooms, or those fold away suitcase stands so that you can place your suitcase on the stand and not on the floor where you have to bend down to get to your belongings.

* Consider a complete change in the hotel's name. Clearly 'The Grand' has received a bad reputation for one reason or another and it is obvious from many of the complaints on this site, that because the hotel is called 'The Grand', guests are expecting everything to be on a 'grand' scale. Where did some of the people posting adverse reviews on here, think they were going to be staying - Buckingham Palace!!???

IN CONCLUSION

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I would certainly have no hesitation in returning to this hotel. Yes, we had a few problems with some of our members in our group which resulted in myself and my collleague working a lot harder than we normally do when we take our members away, but the hotel was not at fault and staff went out of their way to assist us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view and make sure you are not booked into one of the basement rooms with no windows.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gazza1960
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2011

Dear Gazza1960,

Thank you for taking the time to write this most informative review. You clealy have put a lot of thought and time into your review, which is very much appreciated.

I know that all of the staff who met you and your party were very fond of you, despite it being very hard work for you, you all had an incredible sense of fun.

Thank you for all the compliments, and all the suggestions for improvement. Constructive criticism is welcomed, especially when as in depth as yours.

Some of the things you listed, we have already taken action on (we have hundreds of information booklets going to each room this week), and others will take a little longer to work towards.

I hope that you will return to see us again, I know you have our contact details so please let me know when you are returning.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Once again had an excellent good value for money five day break at the Grand with National Holidays 14 to 18 November. Nothing to complain about even the weather was perfect!.We will be back.!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hissyfitLeeds

Dear HissyFitLeeds,

Thank you for your kind comments, reviews like yours make all the hard work worthwhile... although we can take no credit for the weather!

Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed there with my nan & mum in 2003 and had a lovely time! My view and room were comfortable and I asked to be next to my nan & mum which was no problem and they had a lovely room also! the food was great and the breakfasts and dinners were plentiful. couldn't find any fault with the stay at all! would stay there again!! thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kevvo17031960

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the Grand Hotel. I am pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night on a bargain break. £47 (total for 2 of us) in November, which included Bed, Breakfast, & Dinner, with a bottle of house wine included. When I booked it was supposed to include 1 hour free bar,but at reception the clerk claimed this offer had expired, so got the bottle of wine instead. I booked a double room and they tried to palm me off with a three quarter sized bed, back to reception, same again. At the third attempt ended up with a really good sized room, with a double bed. The meals were quite acceptable, but not Michelin rated, but for this price, a good deal. The management could do with paying a little more attention to its clients.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baznoble1

Dear BazNoble1,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of the Grand Hotel Scarborough. I am sorry that we did not get things right first time on check in, this can be put down to an administrative error on our part. I am pleased to hear that we met your expectations in the end.

The Grand offers keenly priced holidays in a stunning Victorian building, and your review is demonstrative of this. I hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have visited Scarborough many times and always thought it would be lovely to stay at the Grand................ oh how disappointed I was when went there last week on a coach tour. The foyer and the balcony look lovely and decorated for Christmas.
The lift are so small more than 2 people with luggage and it is a tight squeeze. The room was so drab and small it was unbelievable for a hotel this size. We had a twin room but it really should have been a single. The furniture was ok and all matched, the beds were comfy but the curtains were lying on top of my bed and had to be pushed down out of the way. We looked out onto other bedrooms, no view at all. The bathroom was reasonable size but very small sink and shower. Toiletries were never replaced and we had to ask at reception. The beds were never made or changed during our stay or was the room dusted. The carpets through out were dirty and stained. A cream coloured carpet is not the right thing for a hotel The corridors looked more like an old hospital.
The dining room was not all that warm. The places were always cold so by the time you got your buffet and back to the table the food was nearly cold. It was a shame a most of the food was well prepared but not very well presented The staff in the dining room were not very friendly, just lifting your plates when finished and not saying a word and they never bothered to let guests go first they just barged their way on regardless of anyone.
The bar staff were pleasant and efficient but there was limited seating and if you were at the second sitting of dinner you were hard pushed to get a seat.
The entertainment was not good. Ok if you liked bingo or a quiz and the singing, if you could call it that, only lasted 3 quarters of an hour.
For a Grand hotel it was very poor and disappointing. Would not go back. My dreams of the Grand have been shattered.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank moigor

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences of the Grand Hotel with the Tripadvisor community. I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that you were not entirely happy with.

The Grand Hotel was completed in 1867, due to the historic nature of the building our rooms vary in shape and size. Some rooms have showers, others have baths. All shower cubicles are a standard size. Our rooms have been inspected by Visit Britain and have been deemed fit to trade as an hotel within our star rating bracket.

In compliance with company policy (and hotel convention) all rooms are serviced (including bedding turned down) daily. The only exception to this is if a guest has placed the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door.

I am sorry to read that dinner plates were not warmed, we have a number of plate warmers none of which have been reported as in need of repair, so I cannot understand this. Your comments about the restaurant staff disappoint me, and they have been passed on to our restaurant manager.

The matter of our entertainment is a matter of taste, I am sorry that the entertainment was not ‘up your street’. However, by your own admission it was difficult to find a seat in the Cabaret Ballroom, so I can only assume that it was to the taste of a good deal of our guests during your stay. Our entertainments team report excellent sales of bingo books, and have entertained crowds in some of Europe’s top resorts.

Finally, we appreciate that all of our guests’ expectations vary, and apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at this time.