“very good value!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“very good value!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We booked our room through laterooms and were amazed at the value which was brilliant!
The room was very cosy and very clean too. We only stayed room only so are unable to comment on the meals.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarenMants
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Dear Karen_manton,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to read that you recognise that the Grand offers comfortable accommodation at a keen price.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,115)
  • Polish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Have just visited this hotel and popped in on the off chance there was a room available. Man at reception was polite and cheery.They only had Premier rooms left for £60 so we took it. It had lovely sea view, very spacious and a jacuzzi bath. Yes, it had a few cobwebs and a wobbly light but we were not there to stay in the room all day.
Had dinner in the Habour Lights restaurant which was a bit poor - but for £10.95 for a 3 course, you can't ask for much.
Bed was very comfortable and waking up to a sea view was great.
We had breakfast in the Premier restaurant and the staff were extremely friendly and efficient. Lots to choose from. Yes, it's mass produced but it's not too bad. Plenty of fruit, yogurt, cereal and fried stuff.

Room Tip: Book a Premier room and go into town for dinner.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beerpig75
Dear Beerpig75,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences of the Grand Hotel with the Tripadvisor community. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. We welcome constructive criticism, and your comments will inform our scheme of continuous improvement.;
Harwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

This Hotel is really old and steeped in history. A wonderful bastion that stands on the cliffs of Scarborough, full of old fashion splendour. The lobby/vestibule has got to be one of the finest this country has. The historic photographs around it hallways are most interesting. The staff are mainly folk from Scarborough or Yorkshire and are most helpful and friendly. The food is good and plentiful. The cost of the Yorkshire cream tea costs was very cheap and very tastly. It is situated close to the shops, the beach and the Harbour where you can get locally caught fish and shellfish. We visited in sunny January.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a sea view
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dawn G
Dear Dawn G,

Thank you for your review of the Grand Hotel. It is wonderful to receive such complimentary feedback, and for many of the team here makes all the hard work worthwhile.

We hope to see you again soon.
WEST YORKSHIRE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at the Grand Hotel in December for 1 night. Firstly the check-in. We arrived around 1335 and greeted by a very miserable lady who simply asked 'checking-in?' we replied yes and was curtly told 2pm only, she did this whilst not looking up from her computer screen. A receptionist should be friendly, courteous and smiling at all times in my opinion. But thats just my opinion I suppose. We went back at 2pm to find a long queue of people all waiting to check in, the lady on reception chose to ignore the line of guests in front of her for several minutes only to look up and promptly walk in the back office. Eventually check-in began and it was nothing short of a farce. The room we originally should have had was crossed out in front of us and we were allocated another room, still not sure why this happened as no-one could give me an explanation for this. We went down to our room, 3 floors down, into the darkest, dampest, smelliest room I have ever seen. No window! On the hotel website they are described as internal rooms, this is not true, they are rooms that are below sea level and therefore cannot have windows. We went back to reception and asked if we could change rooms, we had booked a double with jacuzzi, we were given a room on the fifth floor that had a small double bed and just a walk in shower that was full of limescale and mould. By this time I couldnt be bothered with asking to change again as there was still a long queue of people either trying to check in or complaining about their room and as we were only their for 1 evening it wasnt worth it. I did email Brittania hotel group with my concerns but I am still awaiting a response from the 29 December so I dont hold out much hope for a reply. Basically I have had over 25 years of experience in the travel and tourism industry and I have never been spoken to so disrespectfully or treat so badly from hotel staff. The rooms are so basic and dirty. The food in the evening to be fair wasnt too bad, the breakfast was just edible. The entertainment was dire. And to have no response to a complaint - which ABTA guidelines are 14 days for an acknowledgement and 28 days for a full response and I have had neither - this just proves that the management at the hotel do not care about repeat custom and are happy to trade on the hotels past reputation. Unless the hotel has a drastic shake up and provides staff with basic customer service skills I can see this hotel unfortunatley not trading for much longer. I will probably get the usual response from whoever is employed to type the same mundane dribble to trip advisor reviews, but I would have much preferred a personal response to my complaint. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE - YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

9 Thank veestu
Dear Veestu,

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with elements of your recent stay at the Grand Hotel. I have addressed your concerns below:

Firstly, I am sorry to read that you did not receive as warm a welcome as we both might have hoped. This is not the norm here at the Grand Hotel. Your comments have been passed to our Operations Manager.

As clearly stated on our website, saver rooms are internal rooms and by their very nature, do not have windows. They are NOT below sea level. These rooms have all been recently renovated and include all the modern facilities one would expect of an hotel of our star rating. It would seem that you booked a Saver Jacuzzi Double. You were then offered a complimentary upgrade to a standard double. This was an upgrade, albeit a room without the jacuzzi bath.

I am sorry to read that the fifth floor room you were allocated was not properly serviced, I only wish you had raised this concern at the time as we could have quickly had the room re-serviced.

Unfortunately, given that your comments were posted on an anonymous review site it is difficult to comment on the status of your complaint. I can confirm that when we receive customer feedback we acknowledge the correspondence with a standard response, and a management response follows within 28 days. You may find it more effective to contact me directly by calling the hotel.

I am sorry that you have found my previous responses "mundane", as a professional in the travel and tourism industry I would have hoped for a level of professional courtesy. Forgive me, this is clearly a most old fashioned notion. I am happy to send a personal response to your correspondence, but first I will have to (at least) know your name.

Finally, I can say in all confidence that the Grand hotel will continue trading for many more years. We achieve 95% occupancy all year round, and last year welcomed over 300,000 guests. We are part of a well established group, in fact the largest privately owned hotel group in the UK.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

West Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed for two nights on buisness as they were offeringa great deal on the website. What a mistake, i should have known that you do get what you pay for!.

Firstly smokers gather in the entrance / foyer steps and the smell follows you around. Not a great impression or invitation to the hotel.

It started by me queueing to check-in as i had the misfortune to follow a coach pary. One person checking-in 50+ people on a Wednesday evening. My room was a box. No windows, one single bed and very tired looking bedding and dirty grey towels. I asked reception to be moved and i got another single room but with a window that all the local seagulls roosted on. I didnt get a wink of sleep as the constant noise of screaching, tapping of beaks on window - nightmare.

The food was dreadful. I was booked in for DBB so i queued again to be seated in a shabby, tired high ceiling dining room, only to be told by a very rude waitress that i was in the wrong queue. I went to the dining room next door and there were clearing up at 8.30pm and i was told service was over! I asked if they could possibly get me cheese and biscuits as i had just travelled 6 hours and i was given a saucer with two airline wrapped pieces of plastic cheddar and two cream crackers!!

Breakfast was just as bad - queues, queues and more queues. Sloppy service, very poor quality food, cheap cutlery and a nasty smell. of stale food and stale people. It was self service, even tea, coffee or water was noty brought to the table.
Evening Meal was just as bad. The quality of the food was so poor that i felt sorry for the waiter who had to bring it to my table.

If you want a drink from the bar - you will have to queue.

The hotel is built around the coach party holiday trade. large groups, limited standards.. which is such a shame for such a manifcant, Victorian hotel, that you can see was fantastic in its heyday.

not going back - whatever the price

Room Tip: ask for a window as not all rooms have them.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank FiveOaksFilly
Dear FiveOaksWestSussex,

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with the standard of service received at the Grand Hotel Scarborough. As much as we appreciate the freedom that tripadvisor brings, allowing travellers to share genuine experiences with others. This said, your review seems unfair, and at times inacurate.

Your review states that on a Wednesday there was only one receptionist checking in a coach of 50. However, (with the exception of Christmas) coaches only arrive at the Grand Hotel on intake days. Wednesday is not (and never has been) an intake day.

Secondly, we offer a simple cheese board (usually 4 cheeses) none of our cheese are pre-wrapped.

You also mention that you "felt sorry for the waiter who had to bring it [your evening meal] to my table". Our evening meal is buffet style, we have never offered a waiter service restaurant at the Grand.

I note that it has been some time since you visited us, this may explain these considerable inaccuracies in your review.

I note that you often stay at the Crown Spa Hotel. The Crown is a 4 star hotel, at the Grand we are a 2 star resort hotel. Our marketing and our pricing structure reflect this fact. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, but I may be bold enough to suggest that your expectations were unreasonable, and unrealistic.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at the 'Grand' between Christmas and New Year 2011. We both found the short break a repulsive and stress inducing experience.
Firstly, we were mislead into thinking that there would be parking available. There was not. We had to walk for 10 minutes to reach the hotel, after paying at the local NCP car park.
Secondly, the check in queue was 30 minutes long, this was mainly due to inefficiency of staff, and lack of technology. The building may be historic, but so too is the management system.
After enduring the check-in queue we eventually entered our room. Once the door was opened, a rancid smell of chip fat immediately repulsed our senses. It was like the kitchen vents travelled through our room. The initial stench of fried food masked the underlying scent of rotting drains.
We later discovered that the bathroom facilities were not as advertised. The bath was dirty, and bodily residue was stuck to the bath. When we tried to run a bath, and discovered that the water ran brown!
In the morning, we recieved a rude awakening, when the cleaner decided to knock-up all the corridor at 8.00am. There went my lie in.
On a more positive note, you can stuff your face with as many luke-warm, mechanically reclaimed sausages as you want during breakfast. Yummy.

Room Tip: Don't book at the Grand.
7 Thank Katy T
Dear Katy T,

Firstly, as clearly stated on our website (and when booking with our reservations team) "The hotel does not have any car-parking facilities". If you were mis-informed about this by a third party booking agent, I can only encourage you to take this up with them.

I am sorry to hear that your check in was delayed, this is unacceptable and is not the norm at the Grand. We work very hard to anticipate our guests' needs.

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the standard of the bedroom. Our rooms are inspected by Visit England and deemed acceptable to trade as an hotel of our star rating. Reference the standard of cleanliness; on occasion things get missed by our housekeeping team. This is due to inevitable human error. I only wish you had raised this point with a member of the team, if you had done so I am confident we could have quickly solved this problem.

I understood that Tripadvisor was about sharing relevant and helpful travel information, allowing other travellers to make informed decisions. I struggle to see how your baseless statements, and sarcastic slurs can be of any use to other members of the tripadvisor community.

What is most frustrating about reading your review is that despite the fact that you were clearly most unhappy about the facilities/services offered here you failed to raise these points at the time. Regrettably, it is impossible for us to make good any shortcomings when we only learn of your complaint on an anonymous review site weeks after your visit.
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotek for Christmas 2011. Buffet food - just about warm - seemd to be cheapest food, badly cooked. Thermos jugs of water to make your own tea with tea bag . Very heavy to lift. Bacon swimming in water. They ran out of food on Christmas evening! We were recommended by a friend who had stayed there in the summer and she was surprised about the buffet as they had waitress service in the summer. Dinner was at 5pm (dinner?) and 6p.m. No heating in rooms at night and heating off during afternoons. People in lounges sitting in coats! No heating in corridors. Jacuzzi baths but no mirror over dressing table or full length mirror. A real shame all round as the Hotel was a beautiful, elegant building and could be fantastic with the right management. I have written to the owner.

Room Tip: Do not choose 6th floor s these were servants rooms originally
7 Thank Kay W
Dear Kay W,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent visit to the Grand Hotel. At the Grand we offer keenly priced holidays in a stunning Victorian building. We have most impressive public areas, with ornate ceilings and towering columns, but our bedrooms are not quite so fancy.

I am afraid that you are mistaken, we have never offered table service here at the Grand Hotel. We find that buffet style service allows us to most effectively cater for the 700+ guests we welcome every night. I am sorry that you did not find this acceptable.

On the matter of food on Christmas day you are also mistaken. There was no shortage of food on Christmas day. If there was a delay in replenishing food I can only apologise.

Finally, I can confirm that we have received, and responded to your letter.