“Alright for the price but wouldnt go back”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
“Alright for the price but wouldnt go back”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Me and my boyfriend decided to go here on a coach trip.. was a last min thing so got DB&B for just £39 each including travel. The staff seemed friendly and the lobby looked lovely.. we went into town as we couldnt check in for a couple hours, location was perfect, right next to town and the lovely beach.. When we checked in, our room was on the fourth floor and had a sea view, it was lovely but very outdated and bed was really uncomfortable, the jacuzzii bath didnt work so luckily we also had a shower, tiles in bathroom were mouldy!!

the food served at teatime was just a bog standard sunday lunch, but it was tasty. was expecting more choice, there was only cabbage and sweetcorn veg options, breakfast was just the usual greasy fry up, but it was nice. I looked up during my evening meal and was horrified at the amount of mould on the cieling where people were eating.. and the free glass of wine was like vinegar

the entertainment was good, WHEN it got started, the bingo didnt start till 8:30 and the tickets were way overpriced, the quiz was fun, the singer didnt start till 9:45 which is quite late considering most the people staying were 60+.

It was alright overall but i defo wouldnt go back, i will try other places though. we were the youngest in the hotel by at least 25 years. It was boring and should have had earlier entertainment. the place was absolutly freezing!! The heating didnt come on till 5pm- when you have to go for your tea.. so had to get ready in the freezing cold.. not fun.. dont think id reccomend to anyone

2 Thank Tegzy20
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the Grand Hotel. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that you found the standard of accommodation unacceptable. I can confirm that all of our rooms have been inspected by Visit England and are considered suitable to trade as an hotel of our star status.

I am also sorry that you were disappointed by the food offered. I personally believe that our food is better than ever, this evening I enjoyed a delicious meal of braising steak and vegetables.

I can confirm that bingo tickets are £1 each. I am sorry that you found this too expensive.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,191)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 30 January 2012

All I can sat is top notch all the way. The service was superb food was very good and plenty of it, the whole hotel is so immaculate in it period splendour it was a total pleasure to stay there.Some people put us off by the reports on Trip Advisor but my wife and myself are booking for another stay as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Any seaview
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Grandadaykool,

Thank you for your kind comments, it is reviews like yours that make all the hard work worthwhile.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just returned from a great night at this hotel, the rates were very reasonable and included dinner bed and breakfast, the food was excellent and plenty of it.We were staying in one of the turrett rooms which was great too, cabaret was good michelle montouri ? she was a good crowd pleaser.all in all a good night and will be back in may thank you

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank phillip o
Dear Phillip O,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you will return again soon.
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My wife was very impressed by the friendliness of the staff and Lorenzo in particular.She loved the staircase and the general deco.We had a lovely sea view and enjoyed the buffet style breakfast and dinner.She won a full house at Bingo which only enhanced her hoilday experience.
All in all an experience which we shall repeat

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Roger E
Dear Roger E,

Thank you for your kind comments. I have passed your compliments to Lorenzo, and our catering manager.

We have a wonderful, hard working team here at the Grand, all of whom relish reviews such as yours.
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Great hotel, best location, just came back from a two night stay, been about six times in less than a year, good value, will be back again soon

1 Thank annestt
Dear Annestt,

Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. You are clearly one of our many (valued) regular guests. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Just returned from a weekend away for my 50th birthday, with the young and the old travelling with me, rooms are not to bad, if you like to move the bed to use the bathroom, and also if you like a bath but no shower and no hot water, a plus on the bedroom was the clean bedding,
the service in the hotel is appalling to say the least, we stayed all inclusive, but found out the day before this had changed to a voucher system, no problem, but there were one maybe two staff behind the bar if you were lucky, who kept going missing, and also didnt like working, serving or come to that smiling, the staff in this hotel did not go to the school of charm thats for sure. Go to Scarborough by all means the newcastle packet pub lovely people, very helpful and friendly, as were most people out and about just not in the grand.
I hope if you are travelling here in the future, you have a better experience than we had.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank DonnaG808
Grand724, General Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear DonnaG808,

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with some elements of your recent stay.

Firstly, due to the historic nature of the hotel all of our rooms vary in shape and size. Some rooms have a bath rather than a shower, and due to the age and size of the building there can be a delay for hot water coming through.

I am very disappointed to read your comments about the team here at the Grand. Such comments are not the norm. This said, your comments have been passed to our operations manager.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Grand Hotel. She may be showing her age a little but she still knows how to give a good break. My wife & I booked a Premier deal and it was well worth the extra cash. Parkings a bit limited, but the staff were very helpfull.
On the downside I am profoundly deaf and no TV subtitling par for the course with most hotels. Will be returning.

1 Thank bass1442
Dear Bass1442,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Hotel. I firmly believe that a Premier Upgrade is worth every penny (especially in the winter months).

I hope welcome you again soon.