“didnt stay here but great customer service from dan nd dale” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Scarborough

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
leeds in uk
“didnt stay here but great customer service from dan nd dale”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

we were booked into the grand to stay sat nd sun night..My parents,my wife nd myself in two standard double rooms..On the friday night at 9:30 pm i received a telephone call stating that we had been transferred to the clifton as the grand was overbooked even though our bookings had been made nrly a month earlier.We werent happy as we stay at the grand approx 6 to 7 times per year but accepted it as we didnt want it to spoil our weekend.This is where the amazing customer service starts.Dan (duty manager) and Dale (reservations) arranged for us to be half board instead of bed and breakfast.We were given beautiful sea view rooms and during saturday Dan turned up at the clifton in his own time to see if we were ok and to drop a cple of bottles of wine off for us as a token of goodwill.These gestures by Dan and Dale made our weekend extra special and we had an amazing time.Only problem is we now dont know wether to choose the grand or the clifton on our visits to scarborough.Once again thank you from the cockcroft family

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,120)
  • Polish first
North West England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Arrived here on a coach trip last Saturday. I am sure that this hotel was sumptous in its heyday but sadly that must have been decades ago. It is now very run down and needs thoroughly updating. Not sure where the refurbishments have taken place, because the rooms that I saw were well below standard. There was no shower in my room and the bath was badly stained. You would'nt have wanted to climb in it. The duvet was to small for the single bed and every time I moved I uncovered myself. I have never stayed in a hotel with hand cleaning alcohol gel dispensers and Norovirus warning in your room until I stayed here. The breakfast experience was the worst time. We made our way down to a very shabby restaurant. A very rude male member of staff greeted us by shouting at us for not having some card with us, that, apparently we should have carried at all times. This is NOT how you treat guests! The furniture was extremely shoddy, dining tables scratched and marked and the leather type fabric peeling badly off the chairs. There was however a nice sea view if we had been inclined to linger awhile. No organisation in here. A second male staff member that I encountered moving plates etc was very unhelpful when I asked for assistance to find the cutlery. Also a cook type person would have knocked me out with a tray of food had I not leapt out of the way. One young lady waitress was polite though. Coffee was lukewarm. Faced with the offering of an unappetising cooked breakfast I decided not to partake. Played it safe with a couple of slices of toast. Butter rock hard. At check out time, which must have been the same time for everyone, it was bedlam. Everyone was trying to escape at the same time. Big queues at the lifts. Lifts not adequate for the size of hotel. One poor young lady in reception in a wheelchair was in tears as her friend complained to staff about their 25 minute wait to catch the lift to get to the ground floor. Two female members of staff and I understood, at least one of them was a manager ,were completely unsympathetic and showed no empathy to their guests plight. It was incredible to witness this outrage. I have never seen such behaviour from staff anywhere. There must be a special training course at this hotel on how to treat guests badly. The staff should know to treat their guests with respect. Or maybe things are so bad at the hotel staff are always in conflict with guests. The ownbers of this establishment need to take a good look at it and start to make improvements in all aspects. And to the person telling people to "get a grip" - I think you are a member of staff? You have been warned. Stay here at your peril!!!

Room Tip: Not sure if any rooms good.
3 Thank BabsNorthwest
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements. Members of our team are not permitted to place reviews on this site. It violates Tripadvisor’s terms and conditions.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

northants
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Where do I start arrived at this hotel and was given a large room, bed sheets were blood stained, bathroom smelt of sewage,no ceiling light only a dim wall lights, couldn't see after 6pm freezing cold room, lukewarm water, shower that didn't work properly, food was like slop. Staff including management need to go on a training course on how to treat customers, while I was there a lady was shoved and told to move on by the manageress, I will never set foot in this hotel again even if it was free, while I was there several rooms were broken in to, I'm sure that this hotel is breaking all Heath and safety regulation there is also a A4 leaflet in the rooms to tell you what to do if you get the nuroviros which must be a ongoing bug.

3 Thank crissyNorthants
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Having had a trip to this hotel thought I'd better update my thoughts in the hope u don't make the same mistake by taking a trip to this so called "grand hotel". Initially when we first arrived it looked fine and the reception look lovely too. The real problem started the moment we seen the hotel room. Very out dated and looked nothing like the pictures they advertise on there website. No lights,cold water,cold room,shower didn't work properly and smelt disgusting. The food was very poor standard and reused the following day. The majority of staff was rude and unfriendly apart from Duncan the waiter who always went above his dutys to help and made us smile other then that there staff attitudes stunk! The lifts couldn't fit 8 people as suggested 5 at push and when theres 1000 people going can be a little annoying if on top floor. I have put this as 1 * but that's being generous. Bingo was the entertainment for the night but was very expensive £26 for full set of books when normally £10.

Room Tip: Don't go there
2 Thank Maria W

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Utterly disgusted at this place...to the point that I just cannot understand how it is still open!?!
We were imprisoned here this weekend after being lied to by National Holidays - we were supposed to be staying in a completely different hotel at a completely different location but they brought the coach load here. The hotel looks like it hasn't been decorated since the 1940's...tatty, dirty and felt and smelled like an old folks home. The food was inedible...thank goodness for the Wetherspoons down the road.The staff were extremely rude particularly in the 'restaurant' and I also happened to be stood in the reception area when the riot broke out yesterday morning in relation to another guests review below who's disabled sister had been completely ignored. The staffs behavior was appalling. I would sooner sleep on a park bench! Britannia should be ashamed allowing such a beautiful building to fall into complete disrepair!

7 Thank Cuteyrachyrach

wakefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

After the reviews my husband and I weren;t expecting much but for the price we paid for dinner, bed & breakfast and 99p bar (£70 each for 2 nights) thought we'd give it a try. Lots of negatives - the hotel is very dusty throughout,and so cold we had to wear coats and scarves in the lobby, as did others. Our room 619 was in the attic with a sloping ceiling,awful view, and a horrible bed - the mattress was far too small for the bed base with a brown valance that didn't even fit - didn;t dare look too closely! The radiator didn't work and when I reported it was told they'd send up a storage heater - which arrived after I;d asked 3 times. ,The positives however are that all the staff are very friendly,good service, the food was much better than anticipated - though as in all buffets not hot enough - and the spa bath in our room was great! Though The Grand is pretty scruffy and could do with a facelift, the positon of the hotel is good and great views of the seafront and I'm suprised myself that even with all the faults we actually enjoyed the break.

Room Tip: Avoid 619 - no view and horrible bed
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest,
There are currently a number of refurbishment projects due to commence over the coming year within the hotel, which will rectify a number of areas.
northeast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Once a really grand hotel now quite tired and dated decor-wise. Room are adequate, warm but in need of decoration. Restaurant was well run and of good variation food wise. Food hot and plentiful. On the whole a pleasant break.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank mackem29
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.