“Great place with a bit of surprise”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Plenty of old fashion character. Wonderful area to walk around.

I spent there 5 days in June on an organised tour genuinely enjoying the place. My single room was small but offering all the privacy so I left the windows open. In a plastic bag on the bathroom window I was putting all my clothes to be washed on my return home. On the filth morning I heard some noise in the bathroom. When the seagull inside the bathroom saw me, snatched the whole bag of my personal dirty underwear and freely distributed the contents over the Promenade.

Room Tip: 4 by 5 meter swimming pool available in their sister hotel up the road. Wi-Fi resticted but you can...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank metquest
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,804)

Reviewed 18 December 2013

This was the worse experience of my life Ever.
I booked for myself my partner and a child to find that the hotel was the hotel from hell the bed and bedding were disguisting stained and dirty.
The wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the bathroom and the windows are old and not double glazed when I went to open the window it almost fallen out on me as it is the old type attached with string.
Their is no heating in the rooms except an argos style heater which kept getting hot so I could not use as I feared my child touching it.
The meals were a disgrace no vegetables on the sunday roast just meat and potatoes.
Then when we left earlier due to the condition of the hotel they charged us an extra £120 on top of our bill when we queried this we were rudely told they would investigate and ring us the next working days a week later and still no refund or call and when I ring them they just say they are extra busy due to Christmas

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Joanne G

Dear Guest,

I was concerned to learn of your recent experience.

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay.

Please do feel free to contact us direct so we can resolve this matter for you.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Once again perfect in every way stayed from 13/12/13 15/12/13
This time I took some close friends for a treat and it was a very enjoyable stay from the room ,entertainment to food all brilliant thanks grand see you again very soon.

Room Tip: we stayed in 136/137 first floor excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank fandango70

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We arrived at the Grand Hotel in Scarborough to the delight of the exterior. Unfortunately when we entered my heart sank. The first thing in noticed was the hand sanitizer sprays. We then got in the lift it looked as if someone had thrown food on the doors or vomited on them. Our room was glitter filled and the bedding dirty, there was a laminated notice on the bed to advise about Noro-virus. No hot water from the sink either, so no possible to wash your hands in hot water after using the Lavatory. Dinner was served on a buffet type stand, hot food added to food already stood there. No thermometer to check the temperature even upon request. Many complaints witnessed. Neadless to say we choose to dine out. Our room 347 was also above the noisy disco.
We then got locked out and when we arrived back got chastised by the night door man in front of other residents. Night door man suggested i was not a resident and my husband had picked up a lady of the night. Upon complaining we were totally brushed aside. Can suggest if you stop here, your either like me a trip advisor virgin, or you are foolish or brave. Please go out to eat as they clearly have an issue and wear your wedding rings. Total nightmare - NO EXCUSE! Have stopped in Youth Hostles far superior.

Room Tip: Avoid room 347. Above the disco area. Better still avoid hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sam B

Dear Guest,

I was concerned to read of your recent experience with us.

Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Well....just returned after booking a last min room, firstly the price 35 quid for 2 with breakfast on a sat night!@!@ .....marvelous parkings a nightmare checking in was ok, first room smelt of raw sewage when toilet was flushed, next room a twin hmmmmm...next room amazing sea view rather small but in summer had a balcony would have been lovely to sit out on....this hotel in afew words needs money spending on it to make it grand, buliding is beautiful great location, friendly staff even at 6 am when I was wondering around looking for headache tablets!@@@..breakfast was good plenty of choice, altho beans made us trump a lot the whole day!! ..lol didn't appreciate cleaner barging in at 10am informing us 10am FINISH other than that good experience ....

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amandabck
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Having seen so many negative reviews, on here and elsewhere, I wasn't expecting much but needed a bed for the night. £28 b&b via Laterooms what could possibly go wrong! Truly incredible value for money. Superb view from room & really good buffet breakfast.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank thetreasurer1997

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Never been so disappointed with a hotel before.As we were updated to all inclusive,a few days before we were due to travel.........we had no choice but to accept this late change.It was chaos when we arrived,we had to carry our cases up to our rooms...and there were some very elderly people in our coach, a workman had to show us which lift was working.Poor lighting in bedroom,could not read at nighttime. Shock to find this is a self service dining room,with one toast machine, and coffee machine.Elderly guests,with walking sticks found it very hard to get their meals themselves, never had such poor meals before in any hotel.Had to queue up for our Free Wine before we went into the dining room.The entertainment was the same every evening...which was not suited to the general age of the guests....70....to 80 years and over.Found the lounge very chilly in the evenings,i had to ask a member of staff to close the OUTER DOOR,which they did,but on our last evening I requested the same,as it was cold, and the Manager came to me and stated.........it was more than his job..to close it..it had to be opened at all times.Not a very helpful your man at all.I think it is disgusting to put the health of elderly guests staying there..when I read the notice of possible Nova Virus happening here.We were told to stay in our rooms if taken ill..and to let member of staff knoow...Tell ME How when there were no telephones in the bedrooms.Whilst shopping.......we were told by Shopkeepers it was common knowledge that at least ONCE A YEAR this hotel was closed because of this Virus.National Holidays should take this hotel out of their brochure. Would advise people to not waste their money booking at this hotel.

Room Tip: I looked into THE ROYAL HOTEL whilst I was there,and this put the Grand to shame.Everyone was so hel...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank joycebent

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements.