“Rooms Cold No Hot Water ,,,,,”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Please be aware of this Hotel, my word my Mother and Father are there now, no hot water, Food cold, you serve your self, take your glasses back your self, no staff, basically the Hotel is to big for the few people that work there , I am fetching them back now...... They had to wait outside on a Balcony while they got room ready for entertainment, then all pudding dishes were left on the table.... Word of mouth is very important MS

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SmallyWolves
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your parents experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

What a lovely building to stay in! Hotel is in one of the best positions overlooking sea and only yards from town centre. We stayed three nights (booked through National Holidays) in a fabulous room which was immaculately clean and very warm and cosy. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice and staff cleared away tables very efficiently. Evening meal was not brilliant for choice but for what we paid - no complaints. Entertainment for three nights was very good and bar staff good. We have stayed in several hotels/guest houses in Scarborough over the years and this is the best for location and value for money etc.

2  Thank swimgym

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments during your recent visit to us.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

My girlfriend and I were originally booked into the nearby Royal Hotel but due to a mistake with the reservation we were shuffled off to the Grand round the corner. Both the stature of the building itself and also the seafront location looked magnificent so we quickly forgot the earlier cock up with the room booking. The check in was efficient and the staff were helpful and polite.
After some confusion with the lifts we made our way to our room, fearful that the quality of the room would meet our expectations. We weren’t disappointed. The room was old, there were cracks in the walls and the furniture resembled the contents of the YMCA shop on Stockton High Street. There was an old CRT television in the corner of the room, and the picture was pale blue for some reason. Vernon Kay looked ill. The overall size of the room was adequate and the bathroom was quite spacious, although the water was warm at best when I had a shower before we went out. We booked a double room, but we actually got twin beds pushed together. I’m quite close to my lovely girlfriend, but the gap between us seemed to really increase overnight.
The window was a good size, although we did find a grubby towel on top of the window which we think was used to reduce the draft. The view from the window however, was absolutely superb, fantastic and amazing. For once I didn’t mind getting up three times for the toilet during the night, because that meant I could look at the view on the way back to bed. Breakfast was ok and it set us up well for our nostalgic trip to Bridlington.
In summary, although you may interpret some of the above as negative, our stay in the Grand was very entertaining and we both enjoyed it. Yes, the hotel needs some serious work done (at one point during the night I thought the ceiling was caving in) but we read the reviews and set our expectations at the right level. We only paid £49 for the room which included breakfast and the staff were helpful and friendly and the view from the bedroom window alone, made our stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: Anything with a sea view would be preferable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments during your recent visit to us and your constructive feedback, these will all be used to improve our product.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Booked this hotel to make a long weekend away with my partner (stayed in another hotel for two nights.) We arrived at the hotel around 16:00 and checked in within a couple of minutes. So far so good.

As I was speaking to the receptionist I was told that the standard double room we have booked was fully booked, so we was given a free upgrade to another room with a Sea View (Excellent Start) So we finally checked in fine and went to our room.

When we got to the room we had a good look around and my partner instantly became extremely happy due to the jacuzzi bath we had.

From here though it was nearly all down hill (such a shame really) the Tv in the room was pretty poor, took at least 10 minutes just to get a picture once turned on..We had two single beds pushed together to make a double bed, wasn't best pleased with this and we had very thin sheets, so we were both cold that night.

Dinner...well dinner was very interesting. We had to cue in an extremely long line just to get into the Restaurant and when we finally got in (Roughly around 30 minutes wait) some of the food was very undercooked but the beef was amazing..so a little downside but the beef really was the best thing about dinner. There was also 4 members of staff tidying one side of the restaurant,this became a big issue quickly as tables weren't being cleared quick enough and people couldn't sit down. So overall dinner was ok..ish..thankfully the beef was lovely.

The hotel was located close to town so in the evening we went and had a walk along the beach and went in the amusements etc etc, which we really enjoyed. Got back to our room and we couldn't hear any noise at all from the entertainment which was on..bliss!

Breakfast..well Breakfast was actually really good! Could not believe the difference between the standard of Breakfast and Dinner. Everything was well cooked and tasted perfect. We both enjoyed breakfast.

Overall..the location of the hotel, the free upgrade and the breakfast were the good main points about the hotel. The bad points were just having two single beds being pushed together, the very long wait and the undercooked food for dinner, oh, and the TV being rubbish, but we didn't go to watch TV.

To be honest, I probably would recommend this hotel and I personally would go again, but I would definitely stay away from the dinner and would just stick to breakfast.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to an Executive Room with a Sea View.
1  Thank RikiWilson
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 12 February 2014

we have just enjoyed a brilliant one night stay for the Micheal Buble tribute show. what a fantastic night, the warm up comedian was good too. thoroughly enjoyed the disco at the end of the night the dj was brilliant. Our room was lovely, sea view, comfy bed Jacuzzi bath, what a bargain for £39. The food was lovely, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, Very disappointed with the service at the bar, my husband queued at the bar for 40 minutes, we would rather have not had any offer on at the bar than this carry on, it was ludicrous. overall a very good value break and will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: we were on the 6th floor, easily accessible with efficient lifts. The rooms with sea views are beaut...
1  Thank Pam S
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments during your recent visit to us we are currently reviewing our promotional bars to improve the experience.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

On the 9th of Feb I took my partner to see Michael Buble tribut at the Grand hotel for Valentine's Day as am working then.The room was amazing as we had an executive room and we had a sea view. the food was average . We were very disapointed with the bar, I paid for the first round then I found I was being short changed, and every time I went to the bar I had a 30 minuet plus wait to be served and at one point had to wait 45 minuets wait, that ment I missed most of the acts and had to leave my partner alone unnecessary while waitting to be served. This really ruined a break that was a special for my partner and as a Valentine's treat for her. Will go again but will take my own drink in to save the unnecessary waiting

1  Thank cart677

Reviewed 12 February 2014

see my other review about the Travelodge across the road..

Arrived here receptionist was extremely helpful and offered my a great rate including breakfast.

The room was clean and tidy, furniture was a little dated, but more than acceptable.

Bar areas was nice to sit and have a drink and use the FREE wifi... and finish off my work for the night.

Breakfast was buffet style, got what i needed.

Great stay and pleased that I walked out of the Travelodge.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank World T

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments during your recent visit to us.