“Not so grand”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Not so grand”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Hotel staff good meals good bedding and towels good--room 1013 was very cold-asked for heater none available-many cobwebs and dust on wardrobe top--midget cleaners?
In all ok for what it cost but it needs a kick up the behind-not so grand!!

1 Thank FREDDIEBOY288
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us, we will use your feedback to improve our hotel.

With British summer time beginning we have alerted our heating system to reflect this.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,191)
  • Polish first
Halifax
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

After staying at the Grand numerous times over the years, this was the last, the standards have dropped so much after 2 nights my wife and I booked out, it was so poorly run it was embarrassing to stay there, the hotel was so cold people were sitting in the foyer with coats on because the rooms were so cold, I asked for a fan heater only to be told the hotel didn't have any, my wife and I have visited numerous hotels worldwide and this was without question the most unfriendly one, stay there at your own risk, I know we won't be going back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michael D
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 10 April 2014

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Ardrossan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I didn't stay at the grand but used the empress bar almost every day .
We were staying at blue dolphin in Foley but visited Scarborough almost every day.
The first night we thought we might have to sneak in as we wanted to see the staircase and Victorian features!!
Not at all, the hotel is open to the public. The Java coffee bar has lovely views over the bay and the view from the outside terrace is outstanding.
Friendly staff and reasonable prices for both drinks and coffees.
Maybe get to stay here next time we visit.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Arrived at 16.15 on 06/04/2014 and left 3 hours later same day. Hotel looks ok when you first enter but within a few minutes you realise that the hotel is freezing and everything is outdated and dirty.
My room was a executive room should be £110 per night for 2 people . The only lift to the 47 executive rooms holds 3 people max and is also shared with people coming and going to a large dining area.The room had tea and coffee stains on the wall, badly stained carpet ln lots of places, old tv with picture jumping all the time and remote not working . bathroom floor peeling and uneven and dangerous (WOOD LAMINATE). The room had 2 radiators but they were off and full of fluff (2-3INCHES), it was freezing and uninviting.
premier dining room was fine but bar area awful it smelt musty and it was freezing, the furniture was in poor condition and old.The hotel would not put heating but would lend you a heater 1st come first served basis.
A couple said the standard rooms were even worse .
DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY WELL AWAY.

Room Tip: there isn't any good rooms at this hotel.
5 Thank MANSHEZ
Dear Valued Guest,

In the coming months we are refurbishing a number of our rooms within our hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight. Paid only £39 for double internal room with breakfast. Terrible quality of food at breakfast but you get what you pay for. We had only gone up to Scarborough for a night out. When we checked in we were given a standard room instead of budget( meant we had a window instead of none) so we were very happy. This a a lovely old hotel. Yes it's much in need of revamping but when all said and done, we got a town centre hotel with clean bed and bathroom for £39 for two of us. Fantastic value for money. Hotel bar offers good deal between 2.30-5.30 each day.... Pint of beer or larger £2.20. Lovely terrace with spectacular views of Scarborough bay. Will definitely stay again

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

Leeds
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I had a rubbish single room- cold, shower in the bedroom, no heat in the room with the toilet and sink, filthy windows, small, no wardrobe etc etc ,but I could live with that as it's cheap. What upset me was the confrontational manner of some of the staff. While I was waiting I the lounge for a friend, she was running late, I poured a drink from a can in my bag as I didn't want to start a bottle of wine before she arrived. My drink was spotted I seconds. A man came right over to me, much too close and demanded I took the drink to my room as it wasn't allowed to drink my own drink. I hadn't known that so asked him if he wanted me to carry the very full glass up to my room as I might spill it. Yes.
It was his demeanour and confrontational attitude that upset me. I poured the drink back into the can but before I could make a move the duty manager came over and told me again, once more using a very a aggressive manner. I'm very easily upset when people are so rude. Would it have hurt them to have been nicer? There are ways to deal with customers and it's clear to me that,at the Grand, they either don't have the right training, or they simply don't care. I've stayed at the hotel several times as I often visit Scarborough but after this experience I'm considering going elsewhere. After all, had my room been OK, I wouldn't have been waiting in the lounge in the first place.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Linda L
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We have strict licensing conditions we must adhere to, however this situation could have been handled more professionally which will be addressed, we apologise for any distress caused and retraining is taking place.

darlington
Reviewed 8 April 2014

my wife suprised me with a night away at the Grand Hotel Scarborough. Fantastic I thought, how wrong can a man be. We booked what they called the penthouse. We arrived at 15.00 to find a queue from hell to check in, half an hour later we were given the key to our room, The penthouse (wow) 20 mins later we eventually found the room after searching up and down dirty coridores that had a strong smell of damp and mould. when we got into our room the smell was worse, the carpet was filthy (had to wipe my feet on the way out) The whirlpool bath didnt work, couldnt see out of the windows. Then decided to go to the bar and get ripped off with extortionate prices for the drinks and sit on couches that were threadbare and had the stuffing hanging out. By this stage enough was enough we asked for a refund to which I was told there was a no cancellation policy, I said I am not cancelling all I want is what you have sold me which you cannot supply. I was given a full refund and had a pleasant drive home. AVOID this place

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
3 Thank toonarmy2007