“A word of warning” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A word of warning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I wish we had checked the reviews first as we wouldn't have touched this place with a bargepole!!
It's NOT SO GRAND at the Grand!! We booked up to stay at the Grand through National Holidays bus company for a weekend stay from 25th - 27th April , and you know the old saying 'you only get what you pay for' well it definitely applies to this hotel! As we had arrived earlier than checking in time we had to leave our cases in the ballroom area til after 2pm, we went to the toilets which were through the reception area, and oh I hoped that it was not a reflection of what the rest of the place was like........ we checked in a bit later in the day, our room was on the 4th floor, when we saw it we knew we had made a big mistake, dull, dreary, miserable and unacceptable, the bedding was clean at least, but we wondered, what had we done!! It was not somewhere you could feel comfortable, enjoy your break away and recharge the batteries. One of the first things we noticed in the room on the table amongst all the info was the A4 sized laminated notice, that immediately shouted out to us that the Hotel had obviously had a problem with the NOROVIRUS, we had noticed on our way to our room that there were antiseptic foam dispensers all over the place. Oh my and why were we not surprised!! the state of the room, the dining area, the toilets in the reception and bar areas, the whole place looked like it needed to be gutted and fumigated. We were allocated a dining area on arrival at the hotel and told that this is where we would eat all of the meals we had paid for that weekend. After standing in a queue (it was like being back at school) we were then told that it was self service and to find our own table to sit at, it was not a welcoming place to eat, and I was not to keen to eat what was on offer. The Hotels Health and Safety needs to be reviewed also, when my husband went to get himself some soup, the terrine was too high up and, as he ladled the soup into his shallow bowl he was nudged accidentally by another person and the hot soup overflowed and burned his hand, next morning at breakfast, the dining hall was absolutely full to the brim of guests and there were children running around, I went to get some tea for us, (there are no trays on offer to carry your food and drink to your table) and a waiter who was clearing a table stepped back in front of me, I was lucky that I stepped back as he did so and the spillage from my hot cup fell on the floor but could so easily have spilled on to me or the person who was sitting on the table close by. The Hotel has no redeeming features and should be avoided or closed for a full refurbishment, times are tough for everyone not just Hotel owners. There are a lot of people holidaying in the UK at the moment and it is of the utmost importance that the guests in any Hotel can be assured that their health, safety and comfort will not be put at risk no matter what price they have paid for their holiday or break away. If they get it right the status of this once good hotel could become GRAND again!!

Room Tip: Was not aware there were ANY good rooms?
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ELAINE W W
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 5 May 2014

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

The standards you describe are not the standards we have in place at this hotel, I was shocked to read your review, I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can resolve your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,120)
  • Polish first
Uxbridge, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel is huge and seemed to me to be of a bygone age. Perched high on the cliffs above Scarborough the views are great. I think that the only way the owners and staff are able to keep this dinosaur alive is by aggressive marketing to the older market that enjoys a coach break. I'm glad that they seem to succeed, the upkeep of this old place must be very hard to fund.
Our room was small but adequate, the en-suite shower-room fine, and the beds comfortable.
Breakfast buffet was very good in the 'Full English' sense. Buffet dinner was palatable -- but our stay was so reasonable in price that to criticise would be unfair!
Right next to the hotel, the cliff tramway was a 'must' do.
All the staff seemed happy and very helpful. I don't regret my stay, as a base for my trips around Yorkshire it was great!

Room Tip: Ask to get a sea-view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank atrebatus
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 3 May 2014

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I felt things were slightly "off" once I arrived at Reception. An unfriendly looking young lady checked me in-no questions about early morning calls, would I like a newspaper etc and nothing as regards dinner! When I asked I was curtly advised that dinner was served downstairs until 8 pm. As it was already 7, I dropped my bag and went. Descending the stairs I thought it a little odd that there away a lady checking people against a list. "A table for one please" elicited the response "have you got a ticket?" A ticket? "You'll have to go back to Reception and buy one. Off you go."
No mention of this bizarre requirement when I checked in, so I went back up the stairs and straight out the front door to find a restaurant who wanted my money.
The room was poor, the TV small and lower than the you are when you're in the bed! The shower never got above tepid, and all the fittings just need updating.
The hotel is tired, the staff appear jaded and really there is so much wrong, it's rather sad.
Check out was a problem- I wanted a VAT receipt. "I don't know how to do one of them and I'm on my own." What??? Fortunately a colleague who did know how to turned up and 10 minutes after arriving at an empty Reception Desk, I could leave! I won't be returning.
It's not an hotel for a business traveller.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MJCTraveller
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 2 May 2014

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

the grand is now the not so grand,on entrance you are amazed at how beautiful it is but it ends there im afraid,cleanliness is a major setback,our room in general is filthy and not been cleaned in a long time,old condiment packaging,maps of several areas,dust an inch thick,duvets heavily stained,condom under the bed and used,drab furniture frayed and torn,gaffer tape holding carpet down,the list is endless,then its the food,omg is what springs to mind,tasteless and totally disgusting,the eggs were like baby jellyfish the bacon dry and like leather,if you can get on with tasteless drab food and a fleapit room then this is for you,at £50 per night it was overpriced by £49.99

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lee P
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 30 April 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3nights i found the hotel very good service for accomodation,cleanliness,food and staff. The down point was the size of the hotel i like a smaller hotel as it normally is friendlier especially with stall and people visiting the hotel. The hotel was well situated within walking distance of the town centre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 29 April 2014

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My family stayed here over the weekend, we were in a large party and were somewhat concerned about our booking after reading the reviews on trip advisor - they weren't wrong.
The food really is abysmal, cheap ingredients, tasteless & as it's buffet style it's basically a free for all that looks like it's been raided by animals!
We upgraded to the premier restaurant which is basically the same food with a few extra bits in a quieter, smaller & cleaner room.
Our room was fine, clean & acceptable, that was the only good point I can think of, apart from the hotel is clearly architecturally beautiful, although I did here a couple complaining that their room was being rained in on!!
I would advise booking room only - don't eat here!!

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Lauren W
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Having read and heard some bad reviews about this Hotel I went in not expecting too much. OK its not perfect but there was a lot of good here. Our room was extremely spacious with ample room for two adults and an infant with travel cot. The décor was clean and simple with the usual amenities you would expect and the bathroom was also a good size and modern with a jacuzzi bath that out little one loved. The hotel still has a parts that show its former glory such as the lovely staircase and some of the decoration and there is still a tuned piano which people were playing freely. The hotel is also undertaking a major refurbishment which will hopefully bring all the building and rooms up to a better standard. The bar areas are friendly and welcoming and drinks are reasonable. There was also complimentary tea and coffee in the afternoons. The hotel has an happy hour however in my opinion its too early at 2.30-5.30. The Hotel has a cabaret each night although we didn't stop to watch it. We had breakfast as part of our booking and while there was wasn't a massive selection for the cold breakfast choices the hot breakfast had something for everyone including vegetarian sausages which they cooked to order. I was disappointed not to have hash browns but that's a personal favourite.
Has I said in the beginning the place isn't perfect. The majority of the staff are helpful and friendly, happy to stop and say hello but unfortunately a couple of staff need to work on their customer relation skills. I was spoken to quite rudely by a member of staff when going for the evening meal one night. My in-laws paid for us all to have an evening meal (which I believe is open to non-residents) and it wasn't part of our paid booking. We were assured that all we would need was the receipt however we were asked for our room cards which we did not have and hadn't needed at any other time. When we were finally allowed in it was with the parting comment of " Bring it next time, I'll insist on seeing it" (happily the food was nice and plentiful) but it did not make up for the bad attitude. When we arrived it was only 11.00 but we thought we would just enquire about the rooms (4 in our booking) to be told quite abruptly "its not ready while 2". We returned just before 2 to be met by several coach parties, queues right round the main bar and a mile long queue for the lifts. My tip here is to check in later if possible especially if you go at a holiday time like us.

Something else that is tricky (but not a fault of the hotel) is the parking. You can purchase a daily parking permit from the hotel for £3 but it is limited outside the hotel itself so you may have a short walk so unload if you have several pieces of luggage before parking up.

Over all we had a pleasant stay here and the good out weighs the negative. The hotel will be much more attractive when the works have been completed and we would stay again. Happy we gave it a chance .

Room Tip: Ask for a high room as they do have rooms under the hotel. Request a room with shower (if you prefe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family