“Go for the tower suite!”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Inspired by Michael Portillo's Great Rail Journeys, we decided in March to book a night the Grand in Scarborough. At £45 B&B it did sound as if it was a bit less "grand" than in its Victorian days, and in fact our room could only be described as "small and modest". But when we reported a slight leak in the bathroom, we were given an upgrade to one of the seventh floor turret suites, which was absolutely fabulous!! Porthole type windows all round with superb views of the bay. Only reachable by stairs from the second top floor so perhaps not always offered to real "oldies". We found that it would have cost £80 or so, and would certainly pay that if we went back. Double room, twin room with extra sofa and splendid bathroom. And we found the breakfast really good, so efficiently organised. Well done, the Grand!

Room Tip: Go for the tower! Absolutely a unique experience!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marilyn a
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Write a ReviewReviews (6,857)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Just got back from our 2nd visit to the "Grand Old Lady" of Scarborough. We wanted to go back again to see if they had done any of the improvement's they said they were hoping to do since our visit last year, well we were pleased to see that they had made a start on some bits more than others.
we went with our son & daughter in law and youngest grandson and it was there 1st visit, they like us liked the grandure of the outside even though it was raining on arrival. On entering the reception we were greeted by a long que which from the reactions of other's in the que was to complain so nothing had changed there then. After we got our key and got settled having a look round some place's had been decorated and there was some new furniture around and a lot of the worn out
things had gone, so it was still a work in progress. I know a lot of people have had some bad experiences but at the end of the day you get what you pay for, but we shall be going again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lizuk7
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Rooms are dated and old and the breakfast is not very nice at all. You can get cheap deals for this hotel but i think even they are overpriced. Staff on reception not very helpful and are quite argumentative manager however was good and pleasant. Would not go back in a hurry sorry

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Elaine T
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Customer service is key to our operation, your feedback will be investigated further.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

For many years I had promised my self that one day I would stay at the Grand expecting it to be a pleasant experience of faded opulence! I recently got the opportunity only to find it had long ago faded into a dump! I should have been alarmed by the 50 minute wait for check in but I consoled myself with the fact that it was a bank holiday weekend. I should have been aware that I might get an underground room with no windows but they are careful not to advertise this on the website! As it was the subteranean room was well equiped and obviously recently refurbed so we decided, after a request to upgrade was turned down, to stay and enjoy the situation as much as possible. Unfortunately this was not to be as from 12:30a.m. until approximately 2:00a.m. the place became close to bedlam with doors banging (and subsequently walls vibrating sufficient to give one a nasty headache!!) and even a couple having a drunken (or otherwise) full blown argument. My advice to any one who wants a relaxing time with good service and a normal hotel type experience is stay away from this place! We could have had a better time in the Travelodge or Premier Hotels which are both just across the road
Other Problems we experienced: The room was very cold and the radiator was on full so clearly the heat was turned off globally! The smoke detector in the room had red and white flashing high intensity LEDs twice I awoke thinking a helicopter was about to land! No Wi-Fi except in the public areas and because the room was below ground no phone signal! Very expensive local car parking with little possibility of reasonable long stay parking.

Room Tip: Make sure that your booking clearly states that it is a room on the upper floors
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GeorgeYHull

Dear Valued Guest,

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

We will investigate and rectify the area you have highlighted in relation to the fire doors.

During peak times queues can occur, which we work hard to rectify at the time.

WIFI is available in all public areas within the hotel.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went in May for my birthday treat hubby booked Premier Sea View,being wheelchair bound we explained my needs when booking never been a problem before since Britannia took over Policy change,Down hill from here arrived given key Floor 5. Hubby had a look at the room could only see the sea when tide was in possibly, back to Reception told there wasn't rooms which fitted my needs, given another key, down 3 Floor, Disgusting Smell soon as you open the Lift doors, it was like a Rabbit Warren, passed the Kitchens, carpets Frayed also Holes. Opened Room door to find I couldn't get passed the bottom of the bed in my chair for the drawers so wouldn't get to the window, didn't matter about Sea View hubby said there wasn't one. Looked in bathroom door opened straight onto bath couldn't turn round or close the door if I was in there. Hence the word Looked. Back to Reception i told her I wanted to speak to the Manager, he's not in and I Allocate the Rooms Anyway. I told her the 2 rooms were neither Wheelchair friendly or Premier. Miss Job Worth Assured me they Most Definitely were. Key 3 this Room was Fantastic Filled all my needs including Spa Bath, 3 Large windows where I could see all the Harbour,Beach,Castle and Church. Bliss. Now this is a Premier Sea View Room. Why she didn't give us this Key in the 1st Place is beyond me. Please Also Remember We Paid Premier Price for Premier Room. Don't bother with the Premier Upgrade if your Offered It, if you don't have Specific Needs then Don't Bother Upgrading, even the So Called Premier Dining Room is no Longer like it was. Excellent Carvery, now it's the same Food as Harbour Lights Dining Room. Food is still Very Good tho. Last thing I will say is now Children and Dogs are Allowed. There's nothing for Children to do here, no Entertainment for them, in fact other than Bingo there's nothing for Adults either. I understand people would Like to take their Dogs with them but, Why should Other Guests have to Listen to the Barking when left in the Room. Rant Over. We have spent many happy holidays here in the Past. SADLY we WONT be Returning. Ruined a Beautiful Hotel BRITANNIA.

Room Tip: Don't get talked into an Upgrade unless you want a Sea View ask for Corner Room if u do. Also d...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise C

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We are currently training new receptionists who are still learning.

We will be investigating your feedback further.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed here many times, and always book on-line, but this time i must have clicked on the wrong room type, for on arrival I tried to use my Reward Points, but the receptionist 'didn't have a clue' what to do, then were given the key to a room 'below decks', which has never happened before. We ventured into the 'bowels of the Grand', and found our room opposite the kitchen; it had no windows and smelt a bit musty. Back up to reception to try and change it; came up against the surly blonde who told me in no uncertain terms that it was my responsibility to ensure that I had booked the correct room. So, for three days it was like travelling 'steerage', particularly with all the pallets, trolleys and the rest of the trappings of commercial catering. I got my vouchers sorted out later on by Dale-the Duty Manager- who was very helpful and efficient. This guy really knows how to problem solve. On reflection, for what we paid it wasn't a bad deal, and 'there will be a next time', as we like Scarborough, and I've got 3 vouchers to use, but will not be booking a 'City Room'......could have mis-spelt that.

Room Tip: Give 'steerage' a miss. Pay the extra.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alan h

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We are currently training new receptionists who are still learning, however thank you for your kind comments in relation to Dale.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband & I have just spent one night at this hotel. We paid £45 for B&B for BOTH of us, not each. We arrived at Reception, got our key within 10 mins & went to our room, 3008. Unfortunately, the carpet near the door was wet so hubby went upstairs, & within 5 mins, was back with another key saying that he'd been told to look at the new room, 3010, & if it was acceptable, just to move our stuff & hand in the other key later. New room was lovely. Super new bathroom, extra pillows & towels & a big blanket. (Yes, it was chilly in the room but hey ho). 5 loo rolls, & complimentary toiletries were there too.
We went out for dinner, but when we came back we went up to the Circle & listened to the singers who, to be fair, were good. We had a good nights sleep, Then a lovely hot bath in the morning, then went to breakfast. Yes, we had to queue for 5 mins, yes, it was help yourself buffet service, but the Head Waiter, Richard, was very welcoming & friendly, in spite of the loud, rude comments being made by people who were leaving the dining room. I am a very honest reviewer & if it was bad I would say so. It was actually very nice! Eggs, both fried & scrambled, bacon, sausages, tinned toms, beans fried bread, toast, various fruit, grapefruit etc, cereals, fruit juices, tea & coffee. There was something for every taste. We had the full brekkie & it was hot, eggs were nice & runny, fried bread crispy. We were very impressed at what was on offer for the price we paid.
Now this is where I get a bit indignant. If you want excellence, waitress service, fantastic views & everything spot on, go somewhere else & pay for it. Don't come to a budget hotel like this, where everyone is obviously doing their best & BLOODY MOAN!! If Brittania pull out of this hotel, there will be uproar. This super old hotel will be left to rot, many people will be left unemployed, & where would we all go then, for a cheap, quick getaway. Can you imagine the daily running costs of this Hotel. I bet it's HUGE. One way they could save a bit would be to do away with the complimentary toiletries, (let's face it, who comes away without shower gel or shampoo etc). The money saved could be spent on silicone sealant around the baths & washbasins which would stop dampness and give the outside a lick of paint, which would then stop some people moaning!
In conclusion, a good value hotel for a quick break with lovely staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business