“Hotel manager needs to go.”

Grand Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Walked trough the front door and the reception is a tiny little desk in the corner.We checked in at three ish, waited roughly 20 mins to be seen. There was only one member checking in on the front desk. When we were directed to our room I had to ask the girl to repeat herself as she spoke so fast and quietly that I struggled to follow her directions.
While we were checking in another guest was complaining as she had no towels and no teas and coffees.This made me worry as to what to expect.

We had trouble finding our room as we were failed to be told we needed to take the lift downstairs. Ended up asking a maintenance guy who was lovely. Maybe he should be front of house?

I was really upset with our stay, I booked for my partners birthday and when entering the room for our sea view, I filled with tears as it was on a corner, so with straining your neck you could view the sea.

The room was cold throughout the stay, other guests had complained and they had been told, it's summer so the heating had been turned off! There was no hot water on the evening so I could not shower before going out. The cue at the desk was so long I did not bother cuing up again just to complain. The room was dusty, a really old TV. The shower was dirty, the glass had not been wiped and the sink and walls at the side were dirty and rusty.
The duvet cover had small holes in it and the carpet was stained.

Maybe the rooms upstairs are of better quality.

We went to the bar upstairs with the terrace, OMG! one bar man on a bank holiday weekend! People were pushing in line, complaining and the atmosphere was bad.

Whoever the manager is they should really be re trained or sacked. You clearly need staff in work at such a big hotel, let alone to mention on a bank holiday weekend.
This hotel needs some fresh eyes on it, so it doesn't crumble into the ground.

I won't be staying here again. We paid £70. £29 budget hotels are far cleaner.

Room Tip: Maybe the other rooms upstairs are better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bee088
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

As you have posted directly to Tripadvisor I cannot investigate which bedroom you stayed within so we can fully investigate your feedback, this is not the standards we have in place at the hotel.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,749)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed at the travel lodge thank goodness. Hotel lovely location nice facade only positives I could see. Bar staff unhelpful and rude, called last orders on a Saturday at 21:50 hrs. Booked meal for family what a disgrace it was disgusting. 2 members of family were unwell in the night and next day. glad we did not stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DAR94

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Customer service is key to our operation, your feedback will be investigated further.

We have had no reports of any of our guests being unwell, any matter of this nature is taken extremely seriously and fully investigated.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can resolve your feedback.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Visited the hotel for lunch whilst in Scarborough, chose to sit out on the terrace which looked like the back of a pub you'd choose not to go in!! First we went to order food, the bar staff working were scruffy looking and disgracefully unfriendly, we ordered toasties (which we could only order at one end of the bar, drinks had to be ordered separately further on) Whilst waiting to make my order the older lady in front of me changed her mind, the response she got from the bar staff was absolutely intolerable. Our food came, most of it wrong and all of it clearly put together with no care or attention and delivered under the same method. The building is amazing and it's a massive shame it's not being kept to the standards of such a regal establishment. Whilst it must be expensive to run it seems whom ever is in charge are not bothered in keeping up with the refurbishments regularly needed, the paint work was shoddy and the furnishings unkept. Numerous unnecessary gaudy slot machines strewn around have made the establishment feel cheap and tacky. On arrival at the Hotel we were able to wander through and after getting lost trying to find our way to the terrace, managed to get to rooms unstopped by anyone, security doesn't seem high on the agenda.
My main gripe is the staff we encountered working in the terrace bar, whilst all jobs can be stressful etc it is quite obvious that if you can't work well with people you shouldn't work with the public!! The customer is always right, in this place they would be too scared to be anything. I can't write enough about the sheer lack of customer service and friendliness put forward to customers who they really should be keeping happy!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Judasmaximus

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

CCTV covers all areas of our hotel and is monitored 24 hours a day.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can resolve your feedback.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Cheap enough for the rooms that reflect the price. The "entertainment" is aimed solely at the bingo fan, nothing for a dad that is there with his teenage daughter. There is a cabaret at 21.45 that lasts an hour and that is it. Got there just in time for evening lunch but couldn't have a drink because the young barman had to take the customer in fronts card upstairs to pay for his drinks, why no card machine at the till that people buy their drinks for dinner at? The chap that greeted us at the restaurant has to be the most miserable person alive, however the majority of the staff were very friendly. The room was clean, and the shower worked ok. Handy for the seafront, but parking is a pain. I would suggest that parking outside the hotel I a no no as the seagulls use the cars for target practice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank T0ne63
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Sorry to say not so grand a hotel anymore

We booked a late break Thursday 29th May to Sunday 1st of June to take two of our grandchildren away for a few days

Our room on the 6th floor was small and shabby and not enough room for 4 person's the room had one small porthole window the carpet had seen better days along with the beds and bedding and bathroom fittings
Next the food first night soup was freezing and it was not a gazpacho
The pork was disgusting along with the rest of the food
Deserts where not bad but the display was in a mess cake bits everywhere and some left out of the chiller
Breakfast fair but again coffee freezing and poor quality and undrinkable orange juice ok
Second night decided to order the food from the children's menu my grandson asked for the cheese burger and my granddaughter the chicken nuggets the burger came burnt and looked 3 days old along with the nuggets and chips disgusting
3rd night pork again and food terrible
Next the entertainment first night women said she was lead vocalist seen better on the x factor best of the worst show
Second night again poor quality

Saturday night Philippino singer better but not brilliant
They used to have dancers on my granddaughter was looking forward to watching them

This was our third visit to this hotel and possibly our last shame as the grand kids like Scarborough

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike M

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Not so grand,stayed for one night,2 adults and 2 kids ,was cheap at £85 for a family room with breakfast,I think it as to be cheap so they can fill it because it is a very large place,you can tell it would of been grand when it was built,ideal really for a short break and in a good position ,as they say you get what you pay for , no complaints here

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank amkDoncaster

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My birthday and valentines day fall in the same week. So we decided to visit Scarborough for the weekend. The deal was cheap and perfect! Just £99 for a double bed room for three night's.

The meals provided and the complimentary chocolates were delicious. The views even for February were lovely

The room and bathroom were clean with a huge jet water bath which was double my width, it was divine.
The bed was huge and soft, the decor classic and bright

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CharlotteEHall

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future