“weekend away”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Leeds, United Kingdom
“weekend away”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Picked a standard room not as picture shown.Bathroom very shabby and ill equipped.No bedside tables and furniture looks like it came from a charity shop.Old fashioned tv in room.Creaking floor boards ,dread to think what a budget room is like.Good point food was good.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and go for a premium room
1 Thank stuart d
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

As you have posted directly to Tripadvisor I cannot investigate which bedroom you stayed within so we can fully investigate your feedback, this is not the standards we have in place at the hotel.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,220)
  • Polish first
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

A great building, shame about everything else, breakfast appalling, rooms on third floor not clean, bathroom terrible, we were booked for 2 nights but decided to leave after 1 night.
Plenty of people complaining about the hotel when we checked out. Never again!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank wdenise655

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Whilst staying at Whitby this week, we decided to check out this hotel, in Scarborough, with a view to possibly staying there in the near future. Am I glad we did... We went, around midday on Thursday this past week) for a coffee in the Java Café (I think it's in what's called the Empress Suite). We had a surly welcome (welcome is not what I would call it) from the lady behind the counter. I asked for two lattes, one extra hot, to which I got a mumble and a turned back. I ended up with two extra hot lattes, which, I suppose, is better than nothing, but there was no friendliness or politeness. I felt I was being a nuisance being there at all. The atmosphere was depressed, the décor gloomy and tired/dirty in places, on the outside terrace, the gulls had done their worst and there were slot machines in abundance. I spoke to a man staying there and he said the food was awful and there was a problem with flies. Well, I'm sorry, but that was enough for me...

1 Thank EtoileSanderstead
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to our Cafe Java. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our sun terrace is shortly about to be completely refurbished in the coming weeks.

We will investigate your feedback further in relation to the Cafe Java team as this is not how we would expect any of our team to interact with our guests.

Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here on Just Go coach tour last week. Check-in a little chaotic as two coaches arrived at once. The hotel is a fine old building with some modifications to suit modern requirements. Public rooms comfortable and charming. Bedrooms small but adequate for the purpose. Hot water supply excellent, powerful shower. Some fellow guests complained about being cold but my wife and I were able to sleep with the window partially open. We were very satisfied with breakfast but the dinners were a little bland and sometimes poorly presented. There were those amongst our fellow guests who didn't enjoy any of the meals and were not happy with rooms so opinions and tastes vary. My wife and I found it an enjoyable stay overall and would consider staying again. A minor point - the lifts provide a very slow service during "rush hours".

Room Tip: Sea views are available.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The public area's of this Victorian Grand edifice are definitely in keeping with it's outward appearance - it's just a shame that the more private area's. the bedrooms, are tired and dated. But overall, the bedrooms are only for sleeping so probably I am nit-picking as the bed was comfortable. The food was very good and plentiful, the staff were attentive and friendly and we got an excellent deal for 2 nights from GoGroopie, paying only £89 for 2 nights DB&B with a complimentary bottle of wine on the first night. And the Red wine we chose was very palatable.
We enjoyed our stay at the Grand and would definitely go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lesr48
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest comments during your recent visit to us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

where to start,
THE ROOM,booked for three nights on 2/6/2014 standard double with window,it was like a box the window faced onto a wall so we could not see anything at all only bird muck and old cigarette ends so we went to complain ,after going through a maize of corridors we finally found reception,we upgraded to a premium room for an extra £20 this was a little bit better and had a sea view if you were willing to stand on tiptoe and try and see through the dirt on the window.the spa bath didnt work,the toilet hadnt been cleaned properly,and there was a dirty tissue underneath the bottom sheet on the bed. COMPLAINED.
THE FOOD,terrible all cheap stuff the potatoes are like the ones you get in a tin ,the veg was either overcooked or undercooked and didnt make you want to say oh yummy,some of the stuff looked like the leftovers from breakfast with a bit of gravy mixed in, i am referring to the sausage casserole.the glasses were stained as were the tables and plates. COMPLAINED.
OVERALL.when you get your room the first thing you notice is the warning about a virus you can pick up whilst staying there and what to do if you get it,there are hand gel machines all over the hotel (bad sign).the queue for the evening meal is horrendous there are elderly people stood there struggling they come down in the lift then have to climb the stairs to get to the back of the queue.happy hour is not so happy you only get so much knocked off a pint of tetleys or carlsberg if you dont drink either of those then your going to be paying top whack and by the time you get your drink(we waited 15 minutes)you will need it.COMPLAINED.if you see any good reviews about this hotel they must live in a hovel and eat takeaways because good home cooked food it is not.
CLEANING the cleaner came in to do the room,no sink cleaned,dirty toilet,no bath cleaned,bed not done properly,the dirty tissue still on the floor,and no clean glasses.
EXIT.we came home the day before we should have because it was so bad we complained yet again(i keep putting this as with most reviews the manager says oh you should have had a word with us to see if we could sort something out)well we did several in fact but to no avail.
WARNING HOWEVER CHEAP AND HOWEVER TEMPTING THERE OFFER IS DO NOT DO IT THIS IS THE SECOND BRITTANNIA HOTEL WE HAVED STAYED IN AND IT WILL BE THE LAST.IF THE SAID STAY HERE FOR FREE I WOULD SAY SHOVE IT.

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c noise
1 Thank trish foy f

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Walked trough the front door and the reception is a tiny little desk in the corner.We checked in at three ish, waited roughly 20 mins to be seen. There was only one member checking in on the front desk. When we were directed to our room I had to ask the girl to repeat herself as she spoke so fast and quietly that I struggled to follow her directions.
While we were checking in another guest was complaining as she had no towels and no teas and coffees.This made me worry as to what to expect.

We had trouble finding our room as we were failed to be told we needed to take the lift downstairs. Ended up asking a maintenance guy who was lovely. Maybe he should be front of house?

I was really upset with our stay, I booked for my partners birthday and when entering the room for our sea view, I filled with tears as it was on a corner, so with straining your neck you could view the sea.

The room was cold throughout the stay, other guests had complained and they had been told, it's summer so the heating had been turned off! There was no hot water on the evening so I could not shower before going out. The cue at the desk was so long I did not bother cuing up again just to complain. The room was dusty, a really old TV. The shower was dirty, the glass had not been wiped and the sink and walls at the side were dirty and rusty.
The duvet cover had small holes in it and the carpet was stained.

Maybe the rooms upstairs are of better quality.

We went to the bar upstairs with the terrace, OMG! one bar man on a bank holiday weekend! People were pushing in line, complaining and the atmosphere was bad.

Whoever the manager is they should really be re trained or sacked. You clearly need staff in work at such a big hotel, let alone to mention on a bank holiday weekend.
This hotel needs some fresh eyes on it, so it doesn't crumble into the ground.

I won't be staying here again. We paid £70. £29 budget hotels are far cleaner.

Room Tip: Maybe the other rooms upstairs are better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bee088
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 4 June 2014