“Well..............”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Staindrop, United Kingdom
“Well..............”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel certainly looks impressive, on the cliff top overlooking the town and beach, and the public areas inside are quite impressive too. But as with all hotels of this era, it's starting to look tired and in need of a lot of TLC. At first glance you think, yes, this is great, but when you really look you can see the peeling paintwork, rusting ironwork, worn carpets etc., etc.

That being said, the room was clean and tidy with everything we needed, albeit on the small side, but we didn't intend to spend much time in the hotel, so that didn't really matter. Most of the guests seemed to be elderly on coach holidays.

The breakfasts were very good, well cooked and plentiful. We didn't stay for dinner so I can't comment on that.

I don't think I would have stayed here had the rooms been more expensive - there was a special offer on for a three night stay which was quite reasonable. It's in a good location, quite central for the main shopping area and trains and buses, so that's one thing in its favour. There's nightly entertainment but it's nothing to write home about - in fact one female singer came on at 9.45 and only sang for half an hour! Not really worth getting a drink in for that amount of time.

Would I stay there again? Doubt it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 344 which was at the front of the hotel and quite small. There was only a shower...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank carnivalqueen
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 11 June 2014

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,170)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went for a weekend away and decided to stay here as they had a room for £42 - such a rip off. It was without a doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was very run down, the bath plug wouldn't come out, the jets in the bath wouldn't work, dirty towels and when the tv was turned on there was a very loud humming sound coming from it- there wasn't even a clear picture on the tv. We stayed in a 'cheap' room, downstairs where the kitchen is. The kitchen doors were constantly left open so everyone walking past in the corridor could see, there was rubbish and food left on trolleys around the corridor and it stunk of bleach! The worst part was, there was no phone in the room, nor could we get signal or connect to wifi. When i went up to complain about there being no phone in the room and not being able to get signal, i was told i wouldn't need a phone. Yet if there was an emergency i wouldn't have been able to call anyone to help. At about 1:30am the fire alarm went off for about a minuet, i decided to go upstairs anyway to see what it was. Although the alarm had stopped going in my room and wasn't going in the corridor outside, no one else had gone up but i decided to check. Once i got upstairs i could hear the alarm going off and people had come into the reception. I told the staff people downstairs could not hear it and although it was an accident and not a real fire, i was told they didn't need to hear the alarm. A woman who was staying there told me that a light was flashing in her room upstairs and the alarm was going off very loud, however this did not happen downstairs. We also paid £10 for late check out - although we did not get our lie in because at 9:30am a cleaner walked into our room. I would advise anyone who is thinking about going here to keep looking for other hotels. It was very run down and not worth the money. Stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Nicky1243uk
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

i have been to the grand a few times with my boyfriend and i always enjoy my stay for the price you pay it is worth it. yeah could do with a lick of paint here and there but i like the hotel. staff are always friendly we enjoy it so much and tell my parents about it they are staying there for their honeymoon.

Room Tip: rooms with sea view are good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah B
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 10 June 2014

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband recently booked the Pent House at this hotel; he asked for the best room they had on offer. He wanted to suprise me with a weekend away and get away from everything.

When we got to the hotel the hotel was very period,looked nice,but run down. Our room as we were expecting or hoping would be some thing really nice was a huge let down. I didn't say anything to my husband but the room was very basic.The TV did not have a clear picture at all; the room was in my eyes was a very standard room, nothing lush at all.

We booked premier, but were not able to eat until 8.30pm; too late for me , so we ate in the harbour lights; lets just say the food was something to dedesired.

I would say this hotel in it's day would have been very good, but now needs an upgrade and the food really needs to improve alot.

Breakfast was average, bed fairly comfy, but won't be going back there, i have stayed in better rooms for half the cost of this Pent House.

Room Tip: Probably nicer hotels near by.
2 Thank Ley W
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 9 June 2014

hull
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Travel to Scarborough 5 or 6 times a year its one of my favourite hotspots, but never stayed over. When I saw dinner, bed and breakfast for £57 it was a no brainer. Check inn was smoth, the place looked in character on the inside, grand and elegant but worn in places. We had a basement room so no window, bothered me at first but it was a lovely evening so we ventured out to explore. Dinner was mass produced easy to serve food, carvery style. Turkey, tuna bake or beef pasty, worked ok. Our room although no window was spacious and clean, shower was spot on, constant hot water and a mighty pressure. Breakfast again mass produced buffet style, it served its purpose, messy in places but the waiting staff were pleasant. We ventured round the hotel and there is that grand feel about it with the open staircase and ballrooms. My only negative would be the smell in the basement corridors and rooms, once you were used it it it became bareable a real fusty stale smell. When you think the travelodge accross the road wanted double what I paid, I am glad I had the experience. Scarborough by night is stunning, especially on a nice evening, eating ice cream at 9pm at night walking on the beach was amazing!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

morlandmonk
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is amazing, a little dated and clearly targeted at the coach trip market, but even without the tlc that she deserves she is marvellous. The staff are friendly and the location could not be better. Main complaint is that, if you sign up for the rewards programme at the hotel, you do not get the points for that stay (unlike nearly every other hotel scheme I've ever joined!).

Room Tip: Every room is different but make sure you tell them you want a window (some rooms do not!).

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Picked a standard room not as picture shown.Bathroom very shabby and ill equipped.No bedside tables and furniture looks like it came from a charity shop.Old fashioned tv in room.Creaking floor boards ,dread to think what a budget room is like.Good point food was good.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and go for a premium room
1 Thank stuart d

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

As you have posted directly to Tripadvisor I cannot investigate which bedroom you stayed within so we can fully investigate your feedback, this is not the standards we have in place at the hotel.