Grand Hotel Scarborough
The Crescent Hotel(Scarborough)
The Esplanade Hotel(Scarborough)
Cumberland Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Pool
Marine Residence(Scarborough)
6,966 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The poor old grand is falling into disrepair. We had premier accommodation. We always do when we stay there or at it's sister hotel in Llandudno. Good points? The receptionist I spoke to was lovely and arranged a step for me to help get in and out of the shower/jacuzzi bath as I have mobility issues ( this was explained when we booked though so the booking line didn't listen)Most of the staff are friendly and deserve a medal for fending off complaints! The girls in the premier restaurant are pleasant ( the miserable, grumpy,rude one has gone now) and work extremely hard BUT the room did have cleanliness/cross infection issues and they allow too many people to upgrade to premier for their meals so it's now on a 3 sittings basis. We stayed in a room on 3rd floor with beautiful sea views. The bed was reasonably comfy.They replaced the hairdryer that didn't work - BUT I had to report it didn't work :-( The other bad points? They still have that awful coffee! I reported a cleanliness issue on the ceiling of the bathroom which wasn't cleaned throughout 5 days of our stay. The carpet in the room (this was premier remember) was threadbare in places. In the restaurant tea was served to your table but not coffee at breakfast (so I don't know if it had improved in there from last time! I drank water most of the time) and no-one asked if you would like to order a drink with your evening meal as we have had in the past. Lightbulbs in the beautiful chandeliers around the hotel were often not working. The TVs in bedrooms are really old and the reception is not always good. Some of the towels they used need binning as they were so frayed around the edges.A huge pile of wooden pallets were outside - fire risk - and the external building needs some major maintenance. The windows are filthy - even on the ground floor. It proudly states in the brochure that they leave in the room "If you haven't stayed with us for some time you may notice a difference as we've given them a Grand Brittania facelift! We have spent millions of pounds refurbishing these hotels and you will find new ballrooms and bars, refurbished restaurants and stylish new bedrooms all for your comfort!" Well if that's had a facelift I wouldn't recommend the surgeon. Seems as long as they get the coach parties which they get by the dozen, the company doesn't care. Maybe they will start and listen with all these reviews on here????

Room Tip: I have never been without a window - maybe because it's always premier I pay for?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Coffeeholicshell
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our product has leaped forward over the last few years with extensive investment across our hotel.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 night break at the Grand just a pity the name doesnt reflect the hotel standards. The food was disgusting especially at breakfast. Never had a hot cup of tea during my stay the water was always luke warm. Even freshly delivered pots of hot water were still luke warm. Just wondered if the hot water came from a hot tap instead of being boiled!!! Requests for fresh hot water were ignored by staff. Customer service was well below par and staff were unhelpful. In particular young foreign girl at reception and restaurant staff seem to relish being unhelpful. The gentleman checking guests into the restaurant went out of his way to critisize previous guests who he had checked in. Pretty disturbing! My other complaints are well documented in other reviews by previous guests. My advice is avoid at all costs.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank alan71545
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Reviewed 27 June 2014

just returned from this hotel thankfully, went with a open view after reading all negative reviews ,got our keys and was sent to a room 2 floors down from ground level got in basic but ok but no windows and the outside corridors stunk of musty damp really bad we felt like we were in steerage on the titanic,!! we asked for a room near the lifts our room was nowhere near the lift and was up and down varius steps we had stated that we both had mobility problems but this was ignored we asked for ashower which we got one that was over the bath but the bath was so high we could not get over it to take a shower so ended up just having a wash ,the lack of natural light was horrible as you couldn't tell if it was day or night and had to go up to ground level to look what the weather was like. the food was inedible the bacon was hard and really fatty the sausages were burnt to a cinder and had a horrible taste ,as for dinner I think they must have killed a pig when we were there as we had pork on Monday,pork with spices Tuesday,gammon on wed,thursday we eat out as was sick of tinned potatoes green beans and carrots all week ! I went with a open mind but would advice everyone not to bother ,!!!!

Room Tip: none don't bother going,!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank leather27

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Our menu has 4 different dishes daily, our Premier restaurant has 5 dishes daily this has been the norm for a number of years.

We try our upmost to grant requests, however we would recommend booking a higher grade bedroom if you did not wish one of our City Bedrooms.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stay well clear!! We didn't actually end up staying the night and can safely say we never will! I had booked to stay at the Clifton hotel and was booked out to here as they were full. I traveled for 4 hours with a 6 week old baby and my 3 year old daughter we were due to stay in a family room. The room they gave us was in the basement with no windows, it was damp and right next to a kitchen. In my book it shouldn't have been used for staff never mind paying customers with small children. When I complained to reception I was told the only other room I could have was the same! I said this was not acceptable so the receptionist went to speak with the manager (who didn't have the decency to come and speak with me herself.) on returning she said it wasn't their problem n I needed to contact the hotel I had originally booked. When I contacted them I was told as I had checked in at the grand it was nothing to do with them. By this point I was very upset and my daughter was crying as she had not had dinner. I told them I wanted my money back and I would find somewhere else. When the manager eventually showed her face (she had to refund me) she asked for my card and I explained I had paid in cash she said it had to be on card. I informed her this was money laundering and illegal at which point she laughed and said it wasn't. I let her do it as I was tired and wanted to get to our new hotel but I have reported the hotel for this. I have worked in hotels for 10 years and it takes a lot for me to complain as I know how hard a job it can be, but I feel the level of customer service here was appalling and I am very disappointed by the treatment myself and young family received. Do yourself a favour if you want a nice weekend by the sea stay well away from this hotel, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rochelle W

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

We would fully like to investigate your feedback as this is not the standards we have in place, our management team is available 24 hours a day.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

please do not book for this hotel, the food was inedible,there was hardly any choice for desert there was 7 people stood looking at the state of the place where it was and all was saying its a mess. no icecream and untensils all mixed up eventually the chef brought out chocolate brownies so we got that and put"custard" on,it was horrible watered down and the so called chocalate brownies were cold and hard. we were very dissapointed as it was for a treat for my grandaughter going there for weekend. the entertainment started at 9.45 and finished at 10.30 and to top it all there was a leaflet in our room saying they had just had the norovirus there what a nightmare be warned

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Grand724, Manager at Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

In relation to the notice regarding Noro-virus you may have seen in the media a number of outbreaks around the uk in hospitals, the letter is for educational purposes, to educate you, our guests, we have found this 100% successful in preventing any outbreak, there has been no recent outbrake within the hotel.